Earth Travel Guide

Earth Things to Do

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Historic District 1 more image

by Basaic Written Jun 14, 2012

Earth is a town of just over 1000 located in the Panhandle Plains portion of Northern Texas. When I saw the name on my road atlas, I had to stop. Earth had a small; but nice historic district with a few buildings of historical and/or architectural interest.

• Architecture

by Boozoo Written Oct 4, 2002

Another slightly interesting thing to note is the dominance of cotton on the southern end of the High Plains. Just 40 miles to the north in my hometown area, you won’t see a single boll anywhere. You’ll see grains of all kinds, sugar beets, onions, etc... but no cotton. You’ll see 2 million head of cattle, but no cotton. You head down to Earth, you see cotton gins, and bolls all over the road …and none of the feedlots that are so common to the north (at least I didn’t see any).

• Earth Hotels

0 Hotels in Earth

Earth Restaurants

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

The only restaurant I saw open in Earth was Dairy Queen. The Dairy Queen had a lot of cars parked there.

Favorite Dish: Most DQ's are the same. I like oreo blizzards some times in Summer.

Earth Local Customs

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

In this photo I tried to take a picture of the road shoulder covered in cotton. For miles around the roads had this cotton along both sides. According to one of my uncles, who is a farmer, in 1973 a farmer was paid $4.00 for a bushel of wheat. Currently farmers are paid $2.70 for a bushel of wheat. Although the prices for the corn and wheat have not gone up the prices for machinery and irrigation have gone up. For that reason many farmers in this part of Texas have switched from growing corn to growing cotton. Cotton does not cost as much to irrigate. If some thing does not happen to help rectify the situation many farmers will not be able to afford to grow crops at all.

Earth Warnings and Dangers

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

DIP!!! They are not kidding. I found out there is one sign for 'dip' at the edge of town but half the intersections past this sign have a dip. You don't want to hit one going too fast.

Earth Off The Beaten Path

Listen In!

Just in case you want in on all the real juicy radio traffic that a metropolis like Earth has to offer, how about some scanner frequencies?

Freq.(MHz)

468.3750

Federal Licensing, Inc; Tony Barton

468.7250

Earth Pump Machine Inc

Can you tell that there just really isn’t a whole lot going on in a town this size? But let me assure you of this – I would have rather grown up in a small town than any major city you can name. While my hometown is not exactly known for saintly behavior, you grow up with a different set of sensibilities and priorities than you do growing up in the city. Your neighbors know you and are genuinely friendly (although there’s a fixed percentage of jerks in any crowd LOL), and I think you learn a closer sense of family. But maybe that’s just my family...

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

The people of Earth seem to have good sense of humor. They painted lively scenes on front of boarded up buildings.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Earth? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Earth Favorites

by Boozoo Written Oct 4, 2002

Fondest memory: One of the things I've noticed about small towns in my home state is the smaller the town, the more likely you are to find murals, but I didn't expect the artistry I found on a couple of the buildings in Earth. Their theater is a great example and I thought it was very ironic that a theater decked out in 50's scenes was showing 'The Blob' for their Saturday matinee.

Instant Answers: Earth

Comments

Earth Travel Guide
Map of Earth