Been here? Rate It!
Civic Center Plaza and around
A complex of modern buildings covers large area of downtown El Paso (at Civic Center Plaza):
1. Round building of Visitors Bureau (tourist information there),
2. Judson F. Williams Convention Center (picture 2): very modern complex, remodeled in 2002 and worth a quick look for every fan of modern architecture; some parts made of glass look similar to new houses of German parliament in Berlin; check events here,
3. Abraham Chavez Theater (picture 3) of interesting sombrero-shaped architecture, check events here
There are a few more points of interest next to Civic Center Plaza including:
I. at southern side of Main Street east of the Visitors Bureau:
- El Paso Museum of Art - American (mainly Southwestern) and Mexican fine art (paintings and sculpture), European old paintings (Baroque mainly); I paid attention to paintings of Venice by Italian painter Canaletto (1697 - 1768); his nephew Bernardo Bellotto (1720 - 1780) was also a landscape painter (called Canaletto younger) and he was a court painter of King of Poland Stanislaw August Poniatowski in Warsaw; his paintings of Warsaw were used for rebuilding the city after its near complete destruction in World War II.
- Plaza Theatre
II. at Miles Ave., south of the above buildings:
- Camino Real Hotel
III. north of Convention Center
- El Paso City Hall (Mexican architecture)
IV. futher northeast along W. Missouri St.:
- Insights El Paso Science Museum
- El Paso History Museum
- Main Branch of El Paso Public Library, the first public library in Texas (free internet up to 1 hour for every visitor there).
- Budget Travel
- Road Trip
Union Plaza is an area of downtown El Paso. It includes the convention center, a vibrant entertainment district, some new residential units and many restaurants.
On the Saturday we visited the Union Plaza area there were several events going on at the Convention Center. Folks of all ages were attending.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
El Paso Travel Guide
Explore the World
- La Malbaie Hotels
- Prasonisi Hotels
- Manitou Springs
- Leptokaria Hotels
- Kampung Mercang Hotels