Railhead Smokehouse, Fort Worth

by Yaqui
    Railhead Smokehouse BBQ
    by Maria250
  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

Railhead Smokehouse: Beef that melts in your mouth!

by Yaqui Updated Sep 12, 2010

Railhead was rated as excellent by the 1998/1999 Zagat Survey, and it received a certificate of congratulations from the Texas legislature for serving what it considers the best barbecue in Texas. Retrieved from Reviews

I have to agree with this statement. Great food and a little price. Oh, they give military discounts to those in uniform...yay! Families are present here. They have a wonderful patio for summer and winter. So come down and enjoy the food and friends!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Railhead Smokehouse: Real Texas BBQ

by ATXtraveler Written Oct 5, 2008

Railhead Smokehouse, Fort Worth

As a veteran to Texas BBQ, you sometimes have to look past the advertisements in the local guide books to find the real thing. Railhead is not the flashiest of BBQ joints, and it is not located in the heart of the cultural district, Sundance Square, or the Stockyards, so most tourists do not get a chance to enjoy this local favorite.

For the Fort Worth VT weekend, we decided to give it a shot, and bring some people who "weren't from around here" to enjoy the Q. I did not realize that some people did not know what "chopped" and "sliced" pertained to, so we had a good time educating those not in the know.

Here is a quick guide to ordering:
    Sliced - Beef Brisket that is sliced length wise for optimum texture. It will have a charred outer crust.
    Chopped - Beef Brisket that is sliced, then chopped up using a knive and is given a little BBQ sauce to band the chop together. This is similar in consistency to a Sloppy Joe, only better.
    Hottie - Jalapeno Sausage

Favorite Dish: I went with a chopped sandwich, and a 1lb of smoked pork ribs for the table.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Railhead Smokehouse: BBQ in the Museum District

by VeronicaG Updated Sep 30, 2008

Me and Maria250 at  Railhead Smokehouse

Railhead Smokehouse is conveniently located near the Will Rogers Memorial Center, The National Cowgirl Museum and the Ft. Worth Science Center. If you're planning to see any of these attractions, you won't have far to go for BBQ.

Our vter's gathered here for lunch on the weekend of our Texas meet. As soon as we entered this eatery a line began forming and continued growing as we discussed what we'd order from the oversized menu hanging above the serving area.

Brisket isn't mentioned other than saying sliced or chopped--I guess locals understand what this means without noting the type of meat. Most of us didn't have a clue!

I chose a smoked turkey sandwich with a side of cole slaw and potato salad (2 sides came with the meal). It was a tasty selection. I neglected to order BBQ sauce because I thought it might be too spicy, but the turkey seemed to be missing something so I borrowed a drop or two. Umm, my sandwich changed from ho-hum to whoo-hoo!

Our group was spread out among two tables, so we had a very pleasant conversation with ATXTraveler's Mom and Dad, who we discovered play Mr. and Mrs. Santa at Christmastime. I tried to be very good while sharing a table with them!

Thanks for Maria250 (Germany) for sending this pic of me and her posed outside the restaurant.

• Maria250's Profile Photo

Railhead Smokehouse BBQ: Sausages and more

by Maria250 Updated Aug 10, 2011

Railhead Smokehouse BBQ

Great place! All of us VTers enjoyed the place and food. It's a bit crowdy yet they are very fast in serving the customers! In Germany, compared to the US, it takes years if their restaurants are crowded, until they serve their customers. Railhead Smokehouse BBQ provids a huge selection of meals. Had plain sausage with mustard, well, when it comes to sausages I have to say one better sticks with German made sausages. Kristi's fries though (I took a bite) were fantastic. Also Mark's spare rips tasted very good. Railhead Smokehouse BBQ is sure a great BBQ place with a nice atmosphere.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Railhead BBQ: Casual BBQ joint

by Dabs Updated Oct 5, 2008

Railhead BBQ

For Saturday's lunch, a few of us met up at Railhead BBQ which was a great place to try my 1st Texas style BBQ meal. It's very casual, you wait in line and order your meal, it's put on a plate and you go find a table. The line was 20 or 30 people long when we got there but it was very quick.

Favorite Dish: I'm glad Mark was there to explain the menu items because at 1st I couldn't find anything besides ribs on the menu that looked like BBQ. He explained the difference between sliced and chopped which are both brisket and I opted for the sliced brisket which was very good. You order by weight, I got a 1/4 lb. which was fine for my small appetite that day along with a heaping order of fries. There were more traditional BBQ sides like barbecue beans, potato salad and cole slaw

Instant Answers: Fort Worth

Comments

Hotels Near Railhead Smokehouse
4.0 out of 5 stars