Fort Worth Zoo, Fort Worth

4.5 out of 5 stars 15 Reviews

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Take a Walk On The Wild Side---See The Zoo!

by VeronicaG Updated Oct 29, 2007

Elephant Enclosure

Just having moved to Texas in July 2006, we want to see as much of our new state as possible. We've been drawn to Ft. Worth again and again because this city offers so much!

The Ft. Worth Zoo has been recently nominated as top family attraction in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and noted as being #11 in a list of 50 top zoos listed by Zagat's U.S. Family Travel Guide. The zoo was founded in 1909. It's education programs are claimed to be the among some of the most respected in the world.

Themed habitats from many countries such as:
    African Savannah
    Thundering Plains
    Raptor Canyon
    Asian Falls
    Flamingo Bay
    Meerkat Mounds

Visitors stroll past lagoons, waterfalls, rock hills or rivers as they follow shady walkways through the park.

A bird enclosure gave us lots of close encounters with its inhabitants when we purchased seed sticks. Colorful parakeets and other birds flocked to the sticks as children held them aloft. We spent a good deal of time in this area.

When you are finished for the day, a train ride takes you back to the entrance for a small fee. We were so thankful that we could ride back, it was a very hot day!

Summer hours are 10 am-5 pm daily with extended weekend hours; Winter hours 10 am-4 pm with shortened holiday hours. Admission is $10.50 for adults; $8.00 for children 3-12 and seniors $7.00.

• Seniors

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

by Astrobuck Updated Sep 18, 2005

White Tiger

By far the best zoo in the DFW area! Although I have never been to the Dallas Zoo, I hear it doesn't even compare to the Fort Worth Zoo. Not to mention, the animals here are very unique, as well as their habitats, and they are VERY well taken care of. This I highly recommend, especially for kids. They will have a blast!

• Photography

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Zoo-m on over to the Fort Worth Zoo!

by ATXtraveler Written Oct 5, 2008

Baby Elephant - Fort Worth Zoo

Although I would not consider myself a zoo connoisseur, I have been to a few of the country's greatest zoos, including San Diego, and I would place Fort Worth easily within my top 10. The animals all seem to have a great amount of space to roam around, and all look very well maintained. On this particular trip, we were entertaining friends from out of town, so we ventured over to Fort Worth to enjoy this day.

The first exhibit we went to was the primates exhibit. We experienced plenty of Monkeying around, and by the end, the locals were swinging from the rafters. This was much better than swinging from the raptors, which were located close to the monkeys. The lions were lying around, the meerkats were on the march, and the flamingos were busy being vain in the mirror. We did get a dust bath from the elephants, and watched a lazy rhinoceros work on his sun tan.

I would highly recommend checking out this beautiful atmosphere on a great sunny day in Fort Worth!

One of the Best

by keeweechic Written Sep 8, 2004

Fort Worth Zoo has to be one of the best zoo's I have seen, certainly up there with the Singapore zoo for natural environments and cleanliness. Sometimes only a waterfall or small river separates the visitors from the animals as well as large glass viewing windows. The zoo is also very educational for kids.

Hall of Wonders

by keeweechic Written Sep 8, 2004

This building is amazing especially for kids. There are many educational exhibits including a weather theatre. You get taken through tornado's and hail storms including making you feel you are actually in a storm. You can get slightly damp but nothing to worry about. You also get the feel of what its like to live in the wild. Very good indeed.

Texas Wild

by keeweechic Written Sep 8, 2004

Texas Wild features the flora and fauna of Texas set on 8 acres. Lots of interactive activies and more than 200 animals native to Texas.

Texas Town in Texas Wild is a reproduction of an old town with shops and exhibits. There is a good ice cream store there as well.

There is a Playbar where kids can experience life on a farm and interact with the animals.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

by Sweetberry1 Updated Sep 4, 2004

Zoo Logo..

Fort Worth Zoo is home to thousands of native and exotic animals. At many of the natural habitat exhibits, visitors are only separated from the animals by a river or a waterfall, and are often face to face with the animals through large viewing windows.

There are many resturants and eateries, as well as outdoor picnic tables in several shaded areas.
    Glass containers and alcoholic beverages are prohibited inside the Zoo.

Admission...

$9 per adults (13+)
    $6.50 for children (3-12)
    $5.50 for seniors (65+)
    Parking: $5.00 per vehicle daily.
    Wednesdays - Half price admission.

• btex's Profile Photo

Ft. Worth Zoo

by btex Written Nov 16, 2002

elephants at Ft. W. Zoo

There's more to Ft. Worth than the cowboy stuff. Ft. W. has a large zoo that compares with the San Diego Zoo (in my opinion.) About 5000 animals and exhibits such as...World of Primates, Asian Falls, Raptor Canyon, Koala Outback, and Penguin Island...I saw a special bat exhibit a few years ago. And, the apes are always my favorite. Was also kicked out of this zoo once - we lingered after closing time and didn't feel the need to leave - they came after us in golf carts and escorted us out - fun times!
    Admission: $9 per adults (13+)
    $6.50 for children (3-12)
    Parking: $5 per vehicle daily

• starrlot's Profile Photo

Where the Wild Things Are

by starrlot Updated Jan 21, 2010

Just hanging out waiting for lunch

Whenever we do not have more than a weekend to take a break, we always end up choosing Fort Worth as our weekend destination. The reason for the easy choice is the world class zoo. The animals are amazing, and an entire day is barely enough time to see and enjoy everything the zoo provides for guests. Some hidden gems include the fudge shop as well as Texas Wild. Best times to visit are during the noon hours when the animals are awaiting their lunch. Make sure to take advantage of the lesser known exhibits such as feeding the parakeets and the miniature railroad.

As always, the zoo has and remains handicapped friendly with the exception of the bathrooms which are a little difficult to navigate.

• Museum Visits

• starrlot's Profile Photo

Always Something New

by starrlot Written May 31, 2007

Another trip to the Ft. Worth Zoo for us did not disappoint again. We were wanting to see the new babies and Arachnitopia. Only the babies were worth the trip this go around.

I will always say, the best time to go to the zoo is right when it opens. They have just fed the animals and they are all awake and ready to start the day. Except for the lions and bears, they are more or less still tired.

From Silverbacks to orangutans, rhinos to meerkats, white tigers to a walk-through aviary...and let's not forget the lizards, insects and snakes. This zoo is the Disneyland of all zoos.

I highly recommend their candy shop in Texas Live, their fudge is to die for!

Arachnitopia was a disappointment though, the line was 45 minute at least. They had it in a very small building (next to Grandy's Restaurant, which I could only keep thinking if one of those things escaped where they would actually go), and they would only allow in one person(s) in a group together at a time. And some people seemed to be camping out. We just couldn't stay any longer having already spent 4 hours in the zoo already, so we left. I have a phobia of spiders anyway, but it would have been nice to see the Goliath Birdeater. I was able to find that out on YouTube, and that was probably better for me.

A word on their gift shop, shopping in the zoo is just below standards compared to other zoos we have been to. Very few licensed merchandise and very little to do with the stars of their zoo.

• Theme Park Trips

• jason_oneill's Profile Photo

One of the best zoos!!

by jason_oneill Written Jul 8, 2007

My wife and I loved the fort worth zoo, we went there twice. This zoo (along with the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans) is my favorite zoo. The zoo is laid out very well. Unlike the San Diego zoo, where you walk forever between some exhibits, the fort worth zoo is easily navigated. When i go to a zoo, it is to see animals, not to walk forever in search of them!! If you want to see a nice zoo and not spend the whole day doing it, this is the place.

by keeweechic Updated Sep 8, 2004

Fort Worth Zoo was established in 1909 and is the oldest continuous zoo site in Texas as well as one of the top zoos in the nation. There are more than 5,000 exotic and native animals housed in lovely and very natural environments.

More photos in my Travelogues

• Eco-Tourism

• sswagner's Profile Photo

by sswagner Written Feb 7, 2006

Gorilla

This is one of the best zoos in the country. Visitors can see cheetahs, lions, tigers, elephants, komodo dragons, and a variety of other animals. The zoo is in Forest Park, which is west of downtown. It is not far from the Cultural District and has easy access off of I-30. Be aware that there is a parking fee in addition to the admission charge.

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Fort Worth Zoo is very nice. I...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Fort Worth Zoo is very nice. I was there last in 1995. At the time I thought it was nicer than the zoo in Dallas.
    When we were there a school group was meeting in the one room school before going to see animals native to Texas. I think that is a nice way for the children to learn.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Zoo

by el_ruso Written Mar 7, 2005

This is one of the best zoos I have seen. There are even several kinds of rhinos! A must see if you are in the area.

Instant Answers: Fort Worth

Comments

Hotels Near Fort Worth Zoo