Fredericksburg Restaurants

Biergarten
    Old German Bakery

Most Recent Restaurants in Fredericksburg

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Old German Bakery and Restaurant: Ahh! German Bakeries!

by Basaic Updated Jul 5, 2013

Old German Bakery

Another great place to stop for a Jagerschnitzel is the Old German Bakery Restaurant. They are reputed to have the largest schnitzels in Texas. I did not eat a schnitzel here but have heard they are quite good. Try the cheesecake and chocolate tarts.

Favorite Dish: Cheesecake!!!

• Luxury Travel

Der Kuchen Laden/Rathskeller: Shop and Eat

by Basaic Written Jul 5, 2013
    Der Kuchen Laden

Der Kuchen Laden is located in the historic Keidel Memorial Hospital Building and sells kitchenware and accessories. There is also a restaurant called "Rathskeller" in the basement with a varied and interesting menu. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and have a selection of house wines. Food and service was fine but I still preferred Altdorf. Hours are 9 AM to 3 PM and 5 PM to 9 PM daily except Tuesday.

Altdorf Biergarten: My Favorite Place to Eat in Town

by Basaic Written Jul 5, 2013
    Altdorf Biergarten Restaurant

$16 as of April 2012. My favorite place to eat in Fredericksburg is definitely the Altdorf Biergarten. They have a nice German-style atmosphere complete with a biergarten (a nice outdoor seating area with wood tables and umbrellas). Sit outside if possible. The menu is varied with sandwiches, salads, burgers, "Tex-Mex" items and Texas favorites like steak and Chicken Fried Steak. But of course what you need to order is something German. They have a kid's menu too. Service was good and the staff was friendly. Hours are 11 AM to 9 PM Mondays and Wednesday through Saturday and 11 AM to 4 PM on Sunday. Closed on Tuesdays.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed my Jagerschnitzel (breaded pork cutlet with a brown mushroom gravy). Reminded me of the schnitzel I had when I lived in Frankfurt, Germany.

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

Altdorf Restaurant & Biergarten: Altdorf Restaurant & Biergarten

by Africancrab Written Dec 30, 2012

We ate at the Altdorf Restaurant & Biergarten in Fredericksburg during a short stop en route to San. It was such a delight finding one of these in southern Texas. It has been a while since I have eaten real German food. I ordered a Wiener Schnitzel and Mark ordered a Jager Schnitzel, great choices.

To accompany the meal, we ordered German beer, and sides. The outdoor Biergarten is the best place to sit when you decide to dine here. The air was fresh and warm on this November day adding natural ambiance to our lunch.

Schlotzsky's: My Favorite Sandwich

by msbrandysue Written Sep 23, 2012

Schlotzsky’s is one of my very favorite places to eat. It’s a sandwich shop that you can take out or eat in the shop with plenty of tables always available. It’s a bit pricier ($6-7 for a sandwich) than most other sandwich shops but definitely worth it.

It's a place where you order at the counter, then wait for your food and pick it up when they call your number. It's very casual and I'm sure you'll love the food! This specific one has a drive through and I used to go here when I attended North Texas. It's kind of expensive for a college student so I would make sure I had plenty of money in my account! LOL But it was definitely a treat.

Mon-Sun: 10:30am-10:00pm

Favorite Dish: The highlight is the sandwiches. They make it with thick sourdough bread and very thinly sliced meat. Then they sprinkle cheese (the best is a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella) on one piece of bread and run it through an oven conveyor belt. Therefore the sandwich is warm and very tasty. The Original is their signature sandwich and comes with: “Home of The Original® Sandwich. Lean smoked ham, Genoa and cotto salamis, and melted cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses layered with black olives, red onion, lettuce, tomato, mustard and our signature dressing on toasted Sourdough bread.” (From the website.)

Their sandwiches are quite large. I’ve never ordered a large, the mediums are quite enough when you’re at your hungriest.

Their original chips are delicious! Their pizzas are as well. The cheese and pizza is definitely worth trying, also cooked on a sourdough. The bbq chicken looks just as good but it’s hard not to get my favorite sandwich, the turkey and cheese.

• Cinger55's Profile Photo

Hondo's on Main: Texas Grub and Texas Music!

by Cinger55 Updated Jun 3, 2011

Hondo's on Main is a true Texas style restaurant with the ambiance to match. We brought our son here for his 21st birthday and his first "legal" margarita. Had a blast. Hondo's gets it's name from the legendary Hondo Crouch, the man who bought the town of Luckenbach, Texas back in the '70's. Located at the west end of Main Street in Fredericksburg, Hondo's is difficult to miss on any Friday or Saturday night in the summer. Locals and visitors flock here for the great burgers, shoe-string onion rings and fabulous margarita's. Hondo's is a well known place for hearing new artists playing the best of Texas music, offering a sound stage and dance floor inside the building. However, most customers opt for the courtyard stage shaded by the famous South Texas Live Oak trees, especially on nights when the famous Hill Country breezes blow. Families arrive there early at the dinner hour to miss the more active Texas crowd that will descend on the place at dark to hear and dance to tunes old and new. Music begins about 8pm. Service is basic, be prepared to stand in the queue to place your order...its the same for everybody. The food is made with love, so just relax and enjoy a slow night of fun with your friends.

Favorite Dish: The BEST hamburger in Fredericksburg. Tasty french fried onion strings. STACKED (New Mexico style) enchiladas. Belly up to that authentic western bar and order one of the best margarita's you'll ever taste.

• Motorcycle
    • Music
    • Singles

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Auslander Restaurant and Biergarten: Tuck into some German-American grub

by Bunsch Written May 28, 2011

The decor features large murals

The town of Fredericksburg is an enclave of German ancestry, so it wasn't surprising that I wound up dining at a place called "Auslander" (foreigner) on schnitzel and spaetzle and potato pancakes -- half of which was instantly transferred to a take-away container for lunch the following day. The restaurant wasn't listed in AAA, but it was a particular favorite of the young lady who'd sold me my ticket at the Nimitz Museum, and it was extremely hot so I didn't feel like walking too far.

And actually, it was a fine choice. I had a view of the main street with its constantly passing parade of tourists. The schnitzel was quite delicious, and the waiter kept the tea coming. I ate in the highly air conditioned main dining room, but on a less torrid day it would have been pleasant to sit in the biergarten, with its shade and ambience. And apparently there is live music on summer weekends.

Incidentally, don't be surprised if you hear Texans referring to German-Americans as "Dutch." It is apparently a corruption of "Deutsch."

Open 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM.

• klasher's Profile Photo

The Auslander: German Fare

by klasher Updated Apr 4, 2011

The ambience of this restaurant does not really evoke memories from Germany, but the food makes up for lack of atmosphere. The portions are generous and the sides offered allow a variety of choices. I had the schnitzle with spaetzle and potato pancakes with applesauce. The sausage and cheese plate gives you very cheap sliced cheese and your choice of german sausage. I washed this all down with a tasty Dunkle (or two)!

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Altdorf Biergarten: Off the Main Street

by 807Wheaton Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outdoor eating area

We had an evening meal here our second night. It is rather nice to be off the main street and eat outside on a mild March evening. We were seated outside as soon as we went in and had good service for our meal.

Favorite Dish: I had Tex Mex - I ordered a beef enchilada which came with lots of chips, cheese, olives, sour cream and sauce. It was good. My husband ordered a stuffed potato which was huge and delicious. We shared half of each meal so it was a taste treat. I enjoyed eating here.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Winslows: Convenient and Tasty!

by VeronicaG Updated Jul 13, 2010

Winslows

There were all sorts of restaurants and cafes at which to grab a bite to eat on Main Street, Fredericksburg. We opted for Winslows, likely because it was in a convenient location. However, we can recommend it for its food and friendly wait staff, as well.

After being quickly seated, I scanned the menu and ordered the beer-battered Atlantic cod with fries (9.99) and ice tea. This choice came with a tossed salad or mixed vegetables, which I omitted. My fish was crisp and delicious!

My brother and husband selected the ultimate turkey and swiss crossaint with spinach salad, tomato, honey mustard sauce plus fries ($8.59) with ice tea as a beverage. They rated their choice as both filling and good!

You might be interested in some other menu selections: Quiche Lorrain with a tossed salad and assorted fruit ($9.99) and homemade chicken and dumplings with cornbread ($9.59).

Winslow's cheerful interior included large windows facing the sidewalk and street. If given the opportunity anytime soon, we would definitely visit this restaurant again.

• Singles

Mr. Gatti's Pizza-Gattiland: Pizza Buffet for the Kids

by msbrandysue Written Aug 15, 2009

Mr. Gatti's is a big chain and have been in many different locations. There is one on Main St/US 290. There is a big buffet, and three huge areas to eat in. Each of the three areas has a huge tv with different theme. There is the cartoon room, movie room and sports/news room. We chose to sat in the grown-up tv room since we didn't have any kids with us.

After getting your fill of pizza, salad, pasta, and desserts get ready for the game room. They have plenty of games to play like skiball, ski bowling, and ticket-winning games. Add up all your tickets for a fun prize.

Kids will definitely love this place!

Favorite Dish: I love the pepperoni pizza with green olives. Also, the cheese sticks yummmmm!

Silver Creek and Beer Garden: Lovely German Beer

by msbrandysue Written Aug 15, 2009

After a busy day of sight-seeing and shopping we stopped here at Silver Creek for a beer. Since the big thing in Fredericksburg is the Beer Garden, we had to stop at one. This place appeared to be a bit more laid back and quiet. The other beer gardens had a lot more people and very loud music, which my aunt (nor I) likes very much.

The waiter was so helpful (and pretty cute, too). ;) We described the American beer we liked and then he helped us pick out a German beer we might like...and he was very accurate! The beer was big, cold, and we could each other talk. Very great place!

They had plenty to eat but we decided to get something else, later in the day.

***Closed Tuesdays (whateeeever)

Favorite Dish: I like a light beer. So I had the Warsteiner.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Wildseed Farms Wine Bar and Bluebonnet Biergarten: Wine Bar and Biergarten with Snacks

by msbrandysue Written Aug 14, 2009

I chose to see Wildseed Farms for three reasons: 1) It's a huge area that you see if you come to Fredericksburg from the East on 290. 2) There was a pamphlet for it at our hotel. 3) I saw the website on the Fredericksburg visitors site.

Since my aunt and I went at wildflower season we were so excited to see bluebonnets because the area didn't have much of them around in other places. However, the wildflower farm couldn't grow many themselves. (I'm sorry but isn't that their job?)

There were plenty of people around when we arrived in the afternoon. After a hike from the parking lot we explored the indoor stores. I looked for some souvenirs but couldn't find many. Ok, I couldn't find anything...and for ME, that's a big surprise. They have some patio things that I would have liked but the prices were quite high and I knew I could have found them for cheaper in my less-touristy town. One seperate store had a fun squirrel-free birdfeeder but it was like $80! (Yea...)

After doing some shopping we went into the eating area and got some chips and bbq sandwiches. In this area there are jellied goods, a wine bar, and a snack bar. The snack bar offers a few sandwich choices (changes daily), sodas, beer and chips. They charged a quarter for their refills on soda. (That's so unnecessay and just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths...no pun.) After eating and shopping in the food section my aunt did some wine tasting but I wasn't in the mood.

We then went outside in this pavillion area where a band was playing but not too much else was going on. There weren't as many people as I thought there would be sitting out on a late afternoon but they were probably down the road on Main Street in the biergartens...

My aunt and I chose not to pay $8 to go into the tent, I mean...butterfly garden. We hadn't seen any at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center so we didn't think to pay more money to see nothin. So we decided to walk out and see the flowers. The area is in the middle of some really flat land so the breeze was really picking up and we were getting pretty cold. (Bring a jacket!)

There was a walking area of red flowers and some bluebonnets that kids were screaming and running around in so we stayed clear. However, kids would probably have fun there. After we took a few pictures we went back to the Main St Fredericksburg and did some shopping.

Wildseed Farms isn't a bad experience...the pieces just didn't add up for our trip.

Favorite Part: Open Everyday...can't beat that...9:30am-6:00pm

Favorite Dish: Probably the wine.....

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Alamo Springs Cafe: Best hamburgers in Texas!!!

by monicarc Written Aug 3, 2009

THis place is near Fredericksburg--you have to turn off onto a road about 3 miles out of town and drive basically into the middle of nowhere (there are one way bridges a couple of times) for about 10 minutes (I wouldn't go at night, windy roads and no lights). It appears out of the blue and you go into a little house---get your name on the list b/c there will be a wait (we basically spent 3 hours there from start to finish). Its basically a road side cafe with awesome burgers/onion rings/fries!!

Favorite Dish: You can build your own burger!!! The onion rings are awesome! Texas Monthly magazine just rated them 3rd best burgers in Texas, but another magazine/book ranked them #1.

Mamacita's: Great Mexican Food

by msbrandysue Written Jun 17, 2009

My aunt and I saw Mamacita's as we were coming back from Luckenbach. We were in our relaxed, subdued mood and wanted something casual. We stopped at Mamacita's on 290/Main Street when you come into town. On a Friday night we were expecting a long wait but we glad that we only sat for about 10 minutes. The place was hoppin!

The waitress was nice and we soon got our margaritas. The food was wonderful Tex-Mex. It was loud but I'm used to that in Houston. It was something different in a town of small german eateries.

**Mamacita's is a very common name for Mexican food restaurants. It appears as one of the chains but this particular company only has five and they're all in the Hill Country area. So, don't confuse it with the countless other restaurants with the same name.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken flautas and loved them. They were crispy but the tortilla was thick so it didn't have that cheap, fried freezer taquito quality. (I eat Mexican food for a living so I have had many different types of flautas! These were some of the best!)

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels