Fredericksburg Restaurants

Old German Bakery

Most Recent Restaurants in Fredericksburg

Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe: The Queen of Sweets

by aphrodyte Updated Apr 26, 2009

We followed our nose to the sweet smell of cinnamon rolls and newly baked bread to this shop. The entrance we found for this cute bakery was set back a little bit away from Main Street. At first, we were not exactly sure what door we should go through because there really wasn't a sign that said "enter here". We picked a door, went through it and found ourselves in the back of a fairly long line.

We were concerned that the shop would run out of it's signature sweets before we came up to the counter, but as we neared the display case, our fears were unfounded when we able to choose from several deliciously looking baked goods.

We spent our early brunch eating our treats in the small outdoor patio area. I lingered over the thick layer of frosting on my carrot cake while my daughter wiped crumbs from her orange muffin. I never had a liking for orange muffins but my daughter swears by them. Days after our trip to Fredericksburg my daughter would reminisce over how good those muffins were.

I found out later that this is the only shop that belongs to the nationaly known baker Rebecca Rather author of The Pastry Queen cook books. --- Well...that explains why the food was so good!

Favorite Dish: I picked ---
    The Carrot Cake to eat at the shop and I saved Turkey & Havarti/Chips and Salsa, Cinnamon Muffin, and Pecan Pie Bar for later.

My daughter picked ---
    The orange muffin, banana nut muffin and saved the brownie for later.

Hours:
    Monday – Saturday 8AM – 5PM
    Breakfast: 8AM – 10AM
    Lunch: 11AM – 2PM (11–2:30 on Saturday)

Rather Sweet Bakery Rather Sweet Bakery Rather Sweet Bakery - Display Case Rather Sweet Bakery -- Cinnamon Muffin Rather Sweet Bakery -- Carrot Cake

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Altdorf Biergarten: Mouth-watering German specialties!

by aphrodyte Written Apr 25, 2009

Located in an 1860 limestone house, Altdorf is best know for its authentic outdoor biergarten, shaded by large trees, with a courtyard full barrels converted into tables. A place where you may drink with friends or enjoy casual outdoor dining at its best.

I picked this restaurant out of all the others down Main St. primarily because they had a couple of musicians sitting on their cosy sized stage playing some classically styled german oompah music. It sounded fun and I knew my daughter would get a kick out of it. I lived in Germany for a few years so I'm familiar with the cuisine. If you order their schnizels you will not be disappointed. I cannot vouch for the bbq or their tex-mex entrees but the german food items are worth trying.

Favorite Dish: For an Appetizer we picked -- nachos with plain cheese and homemade soup

For my meal I picked -- Wiener Schnitzel with breaded pork cutlet, lemon, and spiced noodles.

My daughter picked -- chicken nuggets and chips

HAS A KID'S MENU

on the way to the bathroom in Altdorf Biergarten Photo op at Altdorf Biergarten Wiener Schnitzel: Breaded pork cutlet, lemon Altdorf homemade soup side entrance to Altdorf

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Chocolat: Best Liquid Center Chocolate Ever!

by aphrodyte Updated Apr 25, 2009

Chocolat offers a variety of European-style truffles, barks, nut clusters and fine specialty confections.

Definitely allow yourself time to dally in this store. You will enjoy lingering to watch the process of rolling chocolates by hand. What you will see is patience itself, as the employees calmly fills delicate white paper cups with perfect chocolates.

What makes these chocolates so special is when you bite into the dark chocolatey confection you will be surprised to bite into a thin crunchy shell made of spun sugar encasing the liquid center. The sugar seems to enhance the flavor protecting it from being absorbed into the chocolate cover.

Favorite Dish: The chocolates we picked were:

Non-Alcoholic -- Cappuccino Coffee, Raspberry Nectar

Alcoholic -- Strawberry Wine, Tequila, Toffee Liqueur

Front of Chocolat

• starrlot's Profile Photo

Friedhelm's: The Best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas

by starrlot Written May 24, 2008

Ok, you would think I would be writing about their German food, however I have to say that they have another item on their menu that completely beats anything else on their menu, chicken fried steak.

Perfectly prepared, delicious and the best in Texas hands down. Great service and large portions are another added bonus. Their pumpernickel bread is so divine. Their salads, freshly peppered at the table, are even delicious. You will not leave hungry and you will be counting down the days to when you will eat here again.

Favorite Dish: Chicken fried steak and their pumpernickel bread

• Theme Park Trips

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Wildseed Farms: Have lunch at Wildseed Farms

by 807Wheaton Written Mar 30, 2008

Wildseed Farms has a small sandwich shop inside their gourmet food store. The day we were there we got a huge chicken salad sandwich with a bag of chips and a large Coke for $5.
    They have lots of places to eat outside, in the sun or in the shade. It was just perfect to stave off our hunger while we lingered a little longer.

Have a sandwich lunch here.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Rathskeller Restaurant: Try German food at Rathskeller Restaurant

by 807Wheaton Updated Mar 30, 2008

We got to Rathskeller about six o'clock and seated ourself. We were in a clean sparce room with white walls and concrete polished floor. It looked rather small but there is a huge area in the back of the restaurant, which was full and very noisy when we left.
    We had good service and the food came out soon after we ordered.
    I had asked seveal people working in the stores what they recommended for a German Restaurant and this name came up several times.
    They also have other entree choices, chicken, steak, etc. and we were told they have a great breakfast.

Favorite Dish: I had the Wiener Schnitzel, which is veal. It came with red cabbage which was very good and square fried potatoes. My husband got the sausage dish which came with saur kraut and square fried potatoes. We tried a little of each others meat and veggies. I thought it was strange that a German Restaurant didn't bring out some great bread and good butter. We paid $30 that included tax and tip.
    The servings were moderate portions which is really a relief.

Enter Rathskeller Restaurant in the Lower Level
    • Architecture

Java Ranch: A Quick Breakfast

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 27, 2007

We dashed into the Java Ranch restaurant on our last morning in Fredericksburg (pictures 1 & 2). This casual eatery was busily serving up meals, while friendly banter filled the dining room. A large cowboy mural covered one long wall, adding a Western flair to the restaurant (picture #3).

Once you decide which meal you want from the listings on a large sign above the kitchen, you place your order then grab a table when it becomes available. Java Ranch was listed as a restaurant choice on our breakfast vouchers.

We were in a hurry to eat, so that we could continue with the day's final plans. Scrambled eggs, a few slices of crisp bacon, toast with jelly and a hot cup of tea made a satisfying and delicious meal.

Since breakfast arrived fairly quick, we were able to get back on the road as hoped. We said "goodbye" to our friends, each of us planning to see our last views of Fredericksburg.

Altdorf: A German-style Biergarten

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 15, 2007

After visiting many of the shops along Main Street, our friend requested that we find a Biergarten and take a break from browsing. After all, we were in a town promoting it's German roots!

Altdorf Biergarten's colorful sign drew us to that establishment for our brief respite (picture #4). You'll find German and Tex-mex food served here.

Surprisingly, a large graveled area marked the interior casual dining room and bar, but since we opted to dine outdoors we moved through to the patio. Picnic tables with blue and white checked vinyl tablecloths were placed atop gravel here, too.

Our waitress appeared with a welcoming smile, serving us in no time at all! Altdorf specializes in German style cooking. Pictures #1 & 2 show us with our friends; picture #3 gives a peek at the outdoor dining area.

Hours are Mon.-Sat. 11am-9pm; Sun 11am-4pm. Closed on Tuesdays.

Me with John & Bonnie Jim with John & Bonnie Altdorf's Biergarten

Navajo Grill: A Special Night Out

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 14, 2007

Navajo Grill was recommended to us by a someone managing one of the antique shops in Fredericksburg.

I would definitely consider this restaurant a "special occasion" place--the meals were a bit higher than the norm and the atmosphere was geared to a romantic evening out. A charming outdoor dining area was available, but since it was windy we decided to eat inside.

After warm, crisp rolls were brought to the table, I ordered a rib eye steak, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and a caesar salad, with a glass of Pinot Grigio completing my meal. Jim ordered the same, except he chose a soup rather than salad. We agreed we had made a good choice!

The service was exemplary! Spending time with friends reminiscing over a delicious dinner makes for a lovely evening.

Hours are 5:30 pm-7pm for dinner daily; 11:30 am & 2pm Sunday Brunch. Reservations suggested.

John and Bonnie perusing the menu

Fredericksburg Bakery: For A Taste of the Old Country

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 14, 2007

One thing we discovered on our travels through Texas, is that when visiting a town with a German heritage NEVER pass up a bakery whose roots stem from this influence.

German bakeries are fabulous! Fredericksburg has several such bakeries, but we happened to drop by Fredericksburg Bakery. We edged our way past patron filled tables to reach the glass pastry case from which sumptuous treats called, "TRY US!"

The memory of my last Sweet German pretzel returned to taunt my tastebuds and I quickly scanned the selections to find another one. Yes--I ordered one for me and Jim, then we found a bench from which to enjoy our treat. Ymmm, flakey and meltingly delicious in our mouths!

This particular bakery served sandwiches, also. A tempting assortment of chocolate confections and cookies beckoned from another glass case (picture #2). We held firm and finished our sweet pretzels...which were wonderful to the last bite!

A Sweet German Pretzel A Tempting Case of Confections

Fredericksburg Ice Cream Parlor: In Lieu of Lunch

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 14, 2007

We knew we'd be meeting our friends in a short while and we had not eaten lunch yet, so we opted for an ice cream cone. This would suffice until we could join our friends for dinner later. They were driving in from League City, Tx.

The Fredericksburg Ice Cream Parlor offered a number of delicious choices--I selected 'Moo Tracks', which was vanilla ice cream with chunks of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Chocolate Chips and I think a Fudge Swirl....so good!

We sat near the front window in order to people watch and to perhaps spy our friends driving into town. A brochure picked up from the Visitor's Center had a 10% off coupon towards any purchase here, but we didn't have it at the time.

After consuming our cones, we drove to the B&B just in time to welcome our friends to Fredericksburg.

Fredericksburg Ice Cream Parlor

Fredericksburg Herb Farm: A Lunch Among the Herbs

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 14, 2007

After ambling through the gardens, we made our way to the restaurant, anticipating a very good meal! The Herb Farm believes in the philosophy of offering good healthful foods that are grown organically.

After a few minutes wait on the restaurant's front porch, we were shown to a table on the shady outside deck, where we appreciated a view of the herb gardens. A large white cat was curled up on one of the chairs. He seemed right at home with us!

picture #2 What's up for lunch?
    picture #3 The outdoor eating area
    picture #4 The Herb Farm Kitty

We ordered raspberry ice tea and the Bouquet Dill Chicken Salad--diced chicken breast with toasted pecans, green onions and pineapple in a dill dip with baby greens and fresh fruit.

There was a gentle breeze throughout the meal and together with the pretty garden setting, made for a very relaxing occasion!

Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 11:30am-3:00 pm; Fri. & Sat. 11 am-2 pm; Sun. 12 N. to 3pm. Dinner is served Fri. & Sat. night only from 6pm-9pm. Live music is presented most Saturday nights.

Dining on the Deck Bouquet Dill Chicken Salad Outdoor Eating Deck Herb Farm Kitty

Silver Creek Restaurant & Biergarten: Great for Evening Entertainment

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 13, 2007

We choose outdoor dining over indoor whenever possible, so it was particularly enjoyable on a balmy Saturday evening to take advantage of the nice weather at Silver Creek Biergarten.

A Country/Western trio was entertaining the crowded terrace from the front porch. I am just beginning to appreciate this type of music. If it's not too 'twangy', I generally like it.

We were still feeling stuffed from the hors d'oeuvres and wine tasting tour provided at Chishom Trail Winery late afternoon. Feeling funny about taking up a table for four and not ordering a meal, we all ordered beverages. Then Jim and I decided on the Avocado and Spinach Dip--it was great! Our friends divied up a large piece of Carrot Cake.

It was a pleasant evening filled with conversation and light-hearted music. We all decided then and there to return to Fredericksburg on another weekend in the future.

Hours are Mon, Wed. & Thurs. 11am-9pm; Fri.-Sun.11am-12 AM. Closed on Tuesdays.

Silver Creek Restaurant & Biergarten

Hannah's: Upscale American Cuisine

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 13, 2007

Hannah's was one of the restaurants that honored the $10 breakfast voucher given to us by our B&B. (pictures 1 & 3) Thanks to the restaurant's namesake, we had wonderful service!

The restaurant was filled with country-style ambience, from it's original stone walls to the lovely time-worn floors. The atmosphere was casual and inviting!

I ordered the oatmeal and blueberry pancakes, which were wonderful! As we were waiting for our tea to be served, Hannah herself brought us our teacups--she is 7 years old. We had a very nice chat with this little sweetie (picture #2) who told us all about last year's Christmas pageant.

Hours are Tues.-Sat. 7am-2:30 pm; Dinner Fri. & Sat. 5pm-10pm. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Hannah's Hannah! Drop by for Breakfast!

• monicarc's Profile Photo

August E's: Dinner with a view

by monicarc Written Sep 17, 2007

Very nice restaurant, on the expensive side, right outside fredericksburg. They menu is pretty eclectic. We ordered hamburgers that were $15---but defintely worth it. Sunday's they have brunch. There was a nice patio to sit on, with a nice view of a field.

Favorite Dish: Hamburger was yummy, so was the Becker glass of wine with it!

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels