Fredericksburg Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Fredericksburg

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Auslander Restaurant and Biergarten: Tuck into some German-American grub

by Bunsch Written May 28, 2011

The decor features large murals

The town of Fredericksburg is an enclave of German ancestry, so it wasn't surprising that I wound up dining at a place called "Auslander" (foreigner) on schnitzel and spaetzle and potato pancakes -- half of which was instantly transferred to a take-away container for lunch the following day. The restaurant wasn't listed in AAA, but it was a particular favorite of the young lady who'd sold me my ticket at the Nimitz Museum, and it was extremely hot so I didn't feel like walking too far.

And actually, it was a fine choice. I had a view of the main street with its constantly passing parade of tourists. The schnitzel was quite delicious, and the waiter kept the tea coming. I ate in the highly air conditioned main dining room, but on a less torrid day it would have been pleasant to sit in the biergarten, with its shade and ambience. And apparently there is live music on summer weekends.

Incidentally, don't be surprised if you hear Texans referring to German-Americans as "Dutch." It is apparently a corruption of "Deutsch."

Open 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM.

• Beer Tasting

Silver Creek and Beer Garden: Lovely German Beer

by msbrandysue Written Aug 15, 2009

After a busy day of sight-seeing and shopping we stopped here at Silver Creek for a beer. Since the big thing in Fredericksburg is the Beer Garden, we had to stop at one. This place appeared to be a bit more laid back and quiet. The other beer gardens had a lot more people and very loud music, which my aunt (nor I) likes very much.

The waiter was so helpful (and pretty cute, too). ;) We described the American beer we liked and then he helped us pick out a German beer we might like...and he was very accurate! The beer was big, cold, and we could each other talk. Very great place!

They had plenty to eat but we decided to get something else, later in the day.

***Closed Tuesdays (whateeeever)

Favorite Dish: I like a light beer. So I had the Warsteiner.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Fredericksburg Bakery: Try one of the German bakeries!

by Jefie Written May 27, 2006

Fredericksburg Bakery on Main Street

There are a few great German bakeries scattered all along main street in Fredericksburg: Dietz Bakery, Rathersweet Bakery, Old German Bakery, Fredericksburg Bakery... I've only been to the Fredericksburg Bakery but they're all supposed to be quite good. It's the perfect place to go to get a scrumptious strudel or pumpernickel!

Mamacita's: Great Mexican Food

by msbrandysue Written Jun 17, 2009

My aunt and I saw Mamacita's as we were coming back from Luckenbach. We were in our relaxed, subdued mood and wanted something casual. We stopped at Mamacita's on 290/Main Street when you come into town. On a Friday night we were expecting a long wait but we glad that we only sat for about 10 minutes. The place was hoppin!

The waitress was nice and we soon got our margaritas. The food was wonderful Tex-Mex. It was loud but I'm used to that in Houston. It was something different in a town of small german eateries.

**Mamacita's is a very common name for Mexican food restaurants. It appears as one of the chains but this particular company only has five and they're all in the Hill Country area. So, don't confuse it with the countless other restaurants with the same name.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken flautas and loved them. They were crispy but the tortilla was thick so it didn't have that cheap, fried freezer taquito quality. (I eat Mexican food for a living so I have had many different types of flautas! These were some of the best!)

Altdorf Biergarten: Off the Main Street

by 807Wheaton Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outdoor eating area

We had an evening meal here our second night. It is rather nice to be off the main street and eat outside on a mild March evening. We were seated outside as soon as we went in and had good service for our meal.

Favorite Dish: I had Tex Mex - I ordered a beef enchilada which came with lots of chips, cheese, olives, sour cream and sauce. It was good. My husband ordered a stuffed potato which was huge and delicious. We shared half of each meal so it was a taste treat. I enjoyed eating here.

Navajo Grill: A Special Night Out

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 14, 2007

John and Bonnie perusing the menu

Navajo Grill was recommended to us by a someone managing one of the antique shops in Fredericksburg.

I would definitely consider this restaurant a "special occasion" place--the meals were a bit higher than the norm and the atmosphere was geared to a romantic evening out. A charming outdoor dining area was available, but since it was windy we decided to eat inside.

After warm, crisp rolls were brought to the table, I ordered a rib eye steak, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and a caesar salad, with a glass of Pinot Grigio completing my meal. Jim ordered the same, except he chose a soup rather than salad. We agreed we had made a good choice!

The service was exemplary! Spending time with friends reminiscing over a delicious dinner makes for a lovely evening.

Hours are 5:30 pm-7pm for dinner daily; 11:30 am & 2pm Sunday Brunch. Reservations suggested.

• Women's Travel

Altdorf: A German-style Biergarten

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 15, 2007

Me with John & Bonnie

After visiting many of the shops along Main Street, our friend requested that we find a Biergarten and take a break from browsing. After all, we were in a town promoting it's German roots!

Altdorf Biergarten's colorful sign drew us to that establishment for our brief respite (picture #4). You'll find German and Tex-mex food served here.

Surprisingly, a large graveled area marked the interior casual dining room and bar, but since we opted to dine outdoors we moved through to the patio. Picnic tables with blue and white checked vinyl tablecloths were placed atop gravel here, too.

Our waitress appeared with a welcoming smile, serving us in no time at all! Altdorf specializes in German style cooking. Pictures #1 & 2 show us with our friends; picture #3 gives a peek at the outdoor dining area.

Hours are Mon.-Sat. 11am-9pm; Sun 11am-4pm. Closed on Tuesdays.

• Women's Travel

Fredericksburg Bakery: For A Taste of the Old Country

A Sweet German Pretzel

One thing we discovered on our travels through Texas, is that when visiting a town with a German heritage NEVER pass up a bakery whose roots stem from this influence.

German bakeries are fabulous! Fredericksburg has several such bakeries, but we happened to drop by Fredericksburg Bakery. We edged our way past patron filled tables to reach the glass pastry case from which sumptuous treats called, "TRY US!"

The memory of my last Sweet German pretzel returned to taunt my tastebuds and I quickly scanned the selections to find another one. Yes--I ordered one for me and Jim, then we found a bench from which to enjoy our treat. Ymmm, flakey and meltingly delicious in our mouths!

This particular bakery served sandwiches, also. A tempting assortment of chocolate confections and cookies beckoned from another glass case (picture #2). We held firm and finished our sweet pretzels...which were wonderful to the last bite!

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Wildseed Farms Wine Bar and Bluebonnet Biergarten: Wine Bar and Biergarten with Snacks

by msbrandysue Written Aug 14, 2009

I chose to see Wildseed Farms for three reasons: 1) It's a huge area that you see if you come to Fredericksburg from the East on 290. 2) There was a pamphlet for it at our hotel. 3) I saw the website on the Fredericksburg visitors site.

Since my aunt and I went at wildflower season we were so excited to see bluebonnets because the area didn't have much of them around in other places. However, the wildflower farm couldn't grow many themselves. (I'm sorry but isn't that their job?)

There were plenty of people around when we arrived in the afternoon. After a hike from the parking lot we explored the indoor stores. I looked for some souvenirs but couldn't find many. Ok, I couldn't find anything...and for ME, that's a big surprise. They have some patio things that I would have liked but the prices were quite high and I knew I could have found them for cheaper in my less-touristy town. One seperate store had a fun squirrel-free birdfeeder but it was like $80! (Yea...)

After doing some shopping we went into the eating area and got some chips and bbq sandwiches. In this area there are jellied goods, a wine bar, and a snack bar. The snack bar offers a few sandwich choices (changes daily), sodas, beer and chips. They charged a quarter for their refills on soda. (That's so unnecessay and just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths...no pun.) After eating and shopping in the food section my aunt did some wine tasting but I wasn't in the mood.

We then went outside in this pavillion area where a band was playing but not too much else was going on. There weren't as many people as I thought there would be sitting out on a late afternoon but they were probably down the road on Main Street in the biergartens...

My aunt and I chose not to pay $8 to go into the tent, I mean...butterfly garden. We hadn't seen any at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center so we didn't think to pay more money to see nothin. So we decided to walk out and see the flowers. The area is in the middle of some really flat land so the breeze was really picking up and we were getting pretty cold. (Bring a jacket!)

There was a walking area of red flowers and some bluebonnets that kids were screaming and running around in so we stayed clear. However, kids would probably have fun there. After we took a few pictures we went back to the Main St Fredericksburg and did some shopping.

Wildseed Farms isn't a bad experience...the pieces just didn't add up for our trip.

Favorite Part: Open Everyday...can't beat that...9:30am-6:00pm

Favorite Dish: Probably the wine.....

Mr. Gatti's Pizza-Gattiland: Pizza Buffet for the Kids

by msbrandysue Written Aug 15, 2009

Mr. Gatti's is a big chain and have been in many different locations. There is one on Main St/US 290. There is a big buffet, and three huge areas to eat in. Each of the three areas has a huge tv with different theme. There is the cartoon room, movie room and sports/news room. We chose to sat in the grown-up tv room since we didn't have any kids with us.

After getting your fill of pizza, salad, pasta, and desserts get ready for the game room. They have plenty of games to play like skiball, ski bowling, and ticket-winning games. Add up all your tickets for a fun prize.

Kids will definitely love this place!

Favorite Dish: I love the pepperoni pizza with green olives. Also, the cheese sticks yummmmm!

Wildseed Farms: Have lunch at Wildseed Farms

by 807Wheaton Written Mar 30, 2008

Have a sandwich lunch here.

Wildseed Farms has a small sandwich shop inside their gourmet food store. The day we were there we got a huge chicken salad sandwich with a bag of chips and a large Coke for $5.
    They have lots of places to eat outside, in the sun or in the shade. It was just perfect to stave off our hunger while we lingered a little longer.

Fredericksburg Ice Cream Parlor: In Lieu of Lunch

Fredericksburg Ice Cream Parlor

We knew we'd be meeting our friends in a short while and we had not eaten lunch yet, so we opted for an ice cream cone. This would suffice until we could join our friends for dinner later. They were driving in from League City, Tx.

The Fredericksburg Ice Cream Parlor offered a number of delicious choices--I selected 'Moo Tracks', which was vanilla ice cream with chunks of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Chocolate Chips and I think a Fudge Swirl....so good!

We sat near the front window in order to people watch and to perhaps spy our friends driving into town. A brochure picked up from the Visitor's Center had a 10% off coupon towards any purchase here, but we didn't have it at the time.

After consuming our cones, we drove to the B&B just in time to welcome our friends to Fredericksburg.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Fredericksburg Brewing Company: Largest brew pub in the area

by basstbn Updated Nov 16, 2004

This appeared to be the most happening place in F-burg on the evenings we were in town. The night I ate here, Nancy was filling tired and a little under the weather, so I went alone and sat at the bar. The wait staff and clientele were warm and outgoing. Nice atmosphere in this restored 1890s rock building.

Favorite Dish: A mixed sausage grill with red cabbage - best German food I had in this Texas trip. The highlight may well have been the smooth, dark porter on draught. Lots of flavor without being heavy or weighty. I haven't found a porter as good since.

• Beer Tasting

Rathskeller Restaurant: Try German food at Rathskeller Restaurant

by 807Wheaton Updated Mar 30, 2008

Enter Rathskeller Restaurant in the Lower Level

We got to Rathskeller about six o'clock and seated ourself. We were in a clean sparce room with white walls and concrete polished floor. It looked rather small but there is a huge area in the back of the restaurant, which was full and very noisy when we left.
    We had good service and the food came out soon after we ordered.
    I had asked seveal people working in the stores what they recommended for a German Restaurant and this name came up several times.
    They also have other entree choices, chicken, steak, etc. and we were told they have a great breakfast.

Favorite Dish: I had the Wiener Schnitzel, which is veal. It came with red cabbage which was very good and square fried potatoes. My husband got the sausage dish which came with saur kraut and square fried potatoes. We tried a little of each others meat and veggies. I thought it was strange that a German Restaurant didn't bring out some great bread and good butter. We paid $30 that included tax and tip.
    The servings were moderate portions which is really a relief.

• Architecture

Hannah's: Upscale American Cuisine

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 13, 2007

Hannah's

Hannah's was one of the restaurants that honored the $10 breakfast voucher given to us by our B&B. (pictures 1 & 3) Thanks to the restaurant's namesake, we had wonderful service!

The restaurant was filled with country-style ambience, from it's original stone walls to the lovely time-worn floors. The atmosphere was casual and inviting!

I ordered the oatmeal and blueberry pancakes, which were wonderful! As we were waiting for our tea to be served, Hannah herself brought us our teacups--she is 7 years old. We had a very nice chat with this little sweetie (picture #2) who told us all about last year's Christmas pageant.

Hours are Tues.-Sat. 7am-2:30 pm; Dinner Fri. & Sat. 5pm-10pm. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels