Fredericksburg Shopping

An array of jams and salsas
    by Bunsch
    Pickles and posters are on offer, too
    by Bunsch
  • Shopping
    by msbrandysue

Most Recent Shopping in Fredericksburg

The Homestead: Antiques and Gifts

by VeronicaG Updated Dec 23, 2011

The Homestead

Note: this shop is closing its doors and will be reopening (January 2012) in town and 'will be carrying a different type of antique', according to the owner

We only visited a few of the shops lining Main Street since we wanted to see as much of the town as possible, but The Homestead was one of those shops we were glad to have stopped by.

We're always drawn into antique shops, so that's how we happened to venture inside. This shop had some very unusual items: small wood and glass display boxes of all types and sizes. If we hadn't been flying back home, I would have taken more time to examine these items. Of course, the shop had many other things, too, but these were what truly fascinated me.

If you're looking for larger pieces of furniture, you'll enjoy the extensive assortment--most of which seemed to be in the 'primitive' or country style. Antique plates were beautifully displayed for sale, too.

I'd love to plan a return trip sometime soon, but this time we'll drive. All I have to do is convince hubby that he wants to return sooner than later. If you're an antiques lover, you'll certainly enjoy Fredericksburg!

• Architecture

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

ITZ'S Fredericksburg Peaches: Delicious jams, blistering hot sauces, fresh nuts

by Bunsch Written Jun 10, 2011

An array of jams and salsas

Once she heard I was going to Fredericksburg, my friend (who had grown up in Llano) immediately put in an order for some fresh pecans and peach preserves. It was a hot afternoon when I got there, and I really didn't want to carry a bulging sackful of jam around with me as I window-shopped, so I deliberately waited until I was ready to leave town before buying the items she had requested. Luckily, I stumbled onto Itz's, which is unprepossessing -- in fact I almost didn't go in because it looked like it was selling antique road signs, but for the racks of jellies and salsas on the sidewalk. The vendor suggested I avoid the preserves in favor of the peach butter, and although I don't have a side-by-side comparison, I can vouch for the excellence of the substitution. I make cinnamon pecans at home, so I thought I'd see how the Itz's version compared (just as good, if not better -- which is saying something); I'd never made caramel-dusted pecans, though, and those were a treat. If I didn't know that I'd be boarding a plane, I certainly would have bought more, but these days you can't carry stuff on and the prospect of a glass jar breaking in my suitcase was not a happy one. But I'm going to have to see whether they ship...

I could not find a telephone number or website listing, sorry.

What to buy: The K-Ann's peach butter is so good that I am kicking myself that I didn't buy a case of it. Likewise the cinnamon and caramel pecans.

What to pay: Jams and jellies are $4.50 for 8 ounces. Fresh pecans are $9.95 a pound.

• Women's Travel

Mutlitple Shops: Main Street Fredericksburg

by msbrandysue Written Aug 14, 2009

Let's be real. If you're going to Fredericksburg you already know about the great shopping. But it really is great. The only negative thing I experienced were the early closing times (5pm-6pm) and even on the weekends! After shopping everyone then heads to the biergartens for some good times.

*Definitely check out the website for the different kinds or shops.

What to buy: There are plenty of houseware/furniture stores and women's clothing stores. You find other specialty shops with souvenirs, toys, books but the majority are housewares and clothing.

What to pay: I wouldn't expect to bargain shop here unless you're hunting for cheap used books. The goods are great, though, so you get what you pay for.

Main Street Shopping Stores: Travel Motto

by msbrandysue Written Aug 14, 2009

Just had to post a wall hanging I found only in Fredericksburg. It's dedicated to all you travelers! :) (If you have any ideas of where to find this or how to make it email me!)

What to buy: Travel motto

What to pay: It was expensive...$30-40

Wildseed Farms: Garden Supplies

by msbrandysue Written Aug 13, 2009

I chose to see Wildseed Farms for three reasons: 1) It's a huge area that you see if you come to Fredericksburg from the East on 290. 2) There was a pamphlet for it at our hotel. 3) I saw the website on the Fredericksburg visitors site.

Since my aunt and I went at wildflower season we were so excited to see bluebonnets because the area didn't have much of them around in other places. However, the wildflower farm couldn't grow many themselves. (I'm sorry but isn't that their job?)

There were plenty of people around when we arrived in the afternoon. After a hike from the parking lot we explored the indoor stores. I looked for some souvenirs but couldn't find many. Ok, I couldn't find anything...and for ME, that's a big surprise. They have some patio things that I would have liked but the prices were quite high and I knew I could have found them for cheaper in my less-touristy town. One seperate store had a fun squirrel-free birdfeeder but it was like $80! (Yea...)

After doing some shopping we went into the eating area and got some chips and bbq sandwiches. In this area there are jellied goods, a wine bar, and a snack bar. The snack bar offers a few sandwich choices (changes daily), sodas, beer and chips. They charged a quarter for their refills on soda. (That's so unnecessay and just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths...no pun.) After eating and shopping in the food section my aunt did some wine tasting but I wasn't in the mood.

We then went outside in this pavillion area where a band was playing but not too much else was going on. There weren't as many people as I thought there would be sitting out on a late afternoon but they were probably down the road on Main Street in the biergartens...

My aunt and I chose not to pay $8 to go into the tent, I mean...butterfly garden. We hadn't seen any at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center so we didn't think to pay more money to see nothin. So we decided to walk out and see the flowers. The area is in the middle of some really flat land so the breeze was really picking up and we were getting pretty cold. (Bring a jacket!)

There was a walking area of red flowers and some bluebonnets that kids were screaming and running around in so we stayed clear. However, kids would probably have fun there. After we took a few pictures we went back to the Main St Fredericksburg and did some shopping.

Wildseed Farms isn't a bad experience...the pieces just didn't add up for our trip.

Favorite Part: Open Everyday...can't beat that...9:30am-6:00pm

What to buy: Wildflower seeds, garden supplies and decorations

What to pay: High

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Circle E Candles: Best smelling candles in Texas!!

by monicarc Written Aug 3, 2009

THis places sells absolutely yummy smelling candles that KEEP THEIR SCENT after burning them for hours. Every cool sounding scent you can imagine they sell there.

What to buy: Candles!

What to pay: Full range---a 12oz candle was about 15$.

Berkman Books: Cheap Books

by msbrandysue Written May 2, 2009

When we were ready to shop down Main Street we started at the east end with Berkman Books. Now, I LOVE shopping for books. What attracted my attention was the sidewalk sale where everything $1! As many of you might know finding anything in Fredericksburg for $1 is next to impossible. After finding a few used books I went inside to find the new books (a few more used). They had a great selection, my favorite being the children's area, the abundance of first editions, and the Texas pride area. They had a first edition Cat in the Hat SIGNED for $1100. So, once I get my writing job, I'm travelling there to get it!

The store, alike the other shops, is an old house so they have included a couch and free coffee stand. The restroom is the original one and is like being in a friend's private bath.

The books are clearly marked with prices if they are used with no questions needed.

I'd definitely recommend stopping by and looking for treasures!

What to buy: Used books, first editions, and books about Texas

What to pay: $1 for used, up to $1100 for first editions :)

Auer haus: Hill Country Home Furnishings

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 27, 2007

Inside Auer haus

The Auer haus had a wide selection of Texas Hill Country or Old World style furniture and exceptional accessories. One-of-a-kind comes to mind. The store also had a rustic style decor, just perfect for all that it carried within.

In this ample store you can find leather furniture, armoires, area rugs, iron beds, bedding, decorative pillows, vases, urns, Italian ceramics, silk floral arrangements, mirrors, floor and table lamps, art and many, many other things arranged in an appealing display!

It was a pleasure searching through Auer haus to discover some of the treasures it held. The shop opens daily at 10am--if you're visiting Fredericksburg, be sure to drop by!

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

Johnson Newman Antiques: Antiques, Paintings, Accessories

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 16, 2007

There were several antique stores in Fredericksburg worth your time visiting. Johnson Newman Antiques was a large shop brimming with European furniture, oil paintings, china, lighting fixtures, clocks, religious pieces, Flemish woven tapestries and so much more.

The antiques were displayed beautifully and there was an excellent collection of larger furniture pieces from the 18th, 19th and 20th century (picture #2). Several oil paintings featuring pastoral scenes were placed throughout the store. I fell in love with one of them (picture #3) that reminded me of a sheep we once had in Pennsylvania.

I will definitely return to this shop when we revisit Fredericksburg. They had many wonderful items that would make great additions to one's home decor.

Hours are Mon.-Thur. 10am-5:30 pm; Fri. & Sat. 10am-6pm; Sun. 12N-5PM.

• Singles

• doolemma's Profile Photo

Dooley's 5--10 & 25 cent Store: Little bit of everything

by doolemma Written Apr 27, 2004

DOOLEY'S

We spotted this store while driving through Fredericksburg and had to stop. A Mr John Dooley (also my father's name) runs this store that was established in 1923. It's a good old days store that has the wooden floors and pressed metal ceilings. Just like my parents used to take me to when I was a kid.

What to buy: It is still a truly old fashion variety store. He still stocks cloth baby diapers. As we no longer have any need for them we didnot buy any. We did buy some cigarettes, the candy kind we bought as youngster, the ones that made you really feel old enough to really smoke.

What to pay: Depends

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Shopping

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels