Frisco Off The Beaten Path

• Entrance to the Texas Sculpture Garden from car
    Entrance to the Texas Sculpture Garden...
  • Flat Jillian visits the Frisco Central Park
    Flat Jillian visits the Frisco Central...
    by grandmaR
  • Bas relief with a bolt of lightening to panic cows
    Bas relief with a bolt of lightening to...

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Frisco

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Frisco vs. Dallas

by ATXtraveler Written May 1, 2008

Dallas through the windshield

Frisco is technically off the beaten path from Dallas. Although I would never characterize Dallas as a hotbed for tourist activity, Frisco is definitely a sleepy town comparitively. Over the next couple years this may shift, as sporting venues such as the Dallas Stars and FC Dallas Soccer team starts migrating out this way.

For more information on Dallas proper, visit my page:

The OLD (first) "Dallas" TV Show Location

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Half rebuilt ranch house

The first five shows of the TV series "Dallas" back in April 1978 used aerial footage of the "Southfork ranch" which was an actual ranch building on the Brinkman Ranch in Frisco, Texas. Then the house they used burned down. The owner hastily started to rebuild it.

But the producers of the show needed to have the some footage of the ranch house before he could finish it. Or they didn't think it could be finished in time so the location was changed to "Southfork" in Parker TX. The owner of the Brinkman ranch just stopped rebuilding at that point and has left it half finished.

My daughter saw it and thought it was some kind of open air pavillion.

There is an inset in the picture so you can see that you can look right through the house. You can drive by the ranch which is still a working ranch, and you can see the house from the road. The "Southfork" ranch in Parker TX IS open to the public - however this one is not.

The website shows views of the ranch from the original shows.

• Architecture

Stampede

by grandmaR Updated Apr 9, 2006

Flat Jillian visits the Frisco Central Park

When I first visited Dallas, I was impressed with the many sculptures around town. The Mustangs of Los Colinas impressed me a great deal. So when our daughter moved to Frisco, I asked her whether she had ever seen them. but she had not. But she did bring us here and to other outdoor art areas in Frisco, and then we went down into Dallas itself to see Trammel Crow's Pioneer Plaza cattle drive.

My feeling about this sculpture group is that it is an interesting idea - lively and informative, but the individual statues are not very well proportioned.

When my great niece was sending 'Flat Jillian' around for pictures, I decided to take her here with my granddaughter. I think the cowboy where we took the picture is a good illustration of the proportion problem. His legs are tiny in relation to the rest of the piece.

Texas Sculpture Garden

by grandmaR Updated Apr 8, 2006

part of H. O. P Rabbits by Iles

I had seen the sculptures at Irwin and downtown Dallas, so I asked my daughter about sculpture in Frisco. We went to look at the stampede sculpture and also passed by the sculpture garden at Hall Office Park. This is a private collection of the work of 38 prominent Texas artists located in the Hall Office Park. It is the largest private collection of contemporary Texas sculpture ever assembled and made available to the public.

The art is set among winding walking trails, lush landscaping, lakes and fountains specially designed to complement the art and provide a fitting backdrop for the work. We took our granddaughter here on a nice day and she had a good time running around and finding the animal sculptures. The H.O.P. Rabbits are named for the place - Hall Office Park is abbreviated H.O.P.

It is one-half mile north of SH 121 just off Dallas Parkway in Frisco, Texas within the Hall Office Park development. Exterior collection open daily dawn to dusk. There are also some exhibits inside 6801 Gaylord.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

McKinney

by keeweechic Written Jul 17, 2003

McKinney has over 1,700 historic homes and buildings and the town has earned a listing in the National Register of Historic Places. Apart from its history, there are also more than 100 specialty shops, antique stores and restaurants in and around the historic downtown area. There is also a 289acre Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary which for the life of me I couldn’t find.

McKinney is just east of Frisco, on the other side of I-75.

• The real story of South Fork Ranch (Box Ranch)

by frisconative Updated Jun 21, 2011

Just wanted to clear up info on South Fork Ranch in Frisco. Dallas was filmed at Box Ranch in (now Brinkman Ranch) 1978. After the first season filming was moved to the Duncan Ranch in Parker Texas. The original house on the Box ranch burned to the ground in 1986. At the time of the fire, filming had already been ceased at Box Ranch and moved to Parker 8 Years Prior. The fire was started when a 5 gallon can of paint caught fire. Mr. Box started rebuilding the house but never finished it. The shell of the rebuilt house still stands on the Brinkman Ranch at the corner of Preston Rd. and Main Street in Frisco.

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Southfork Ranch - home of JR Ewing series

by Kodi01 Updated Feb 18, 2003

Southfork Ranch is definetly off the beaten path. It took me many years to find it, but I finally did last weekend.

It is QUITE impressive! I see why JR was always fighting for the land and oil.

Instant Answers: Frisco

Comments

Frisco Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Frisco off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Frisco sightseeing.