Galveston Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Galveston

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Fisherman's Wharf: Best Seafood in Town?

by Basaic Written Apr 21, 2014

Fisherman's Wharf

$30 as of January 2014. If you are a seafood lover, then you must stop at Fisherman's Wharf while visiting Galveston. They advertise the best and freshest seafood on the gulf, and they just may be right. The food is great the service was very professional and the décor/atmosphere very pleasant. Great views of the gulf. The building started as a fish and shrimp factory and the restaurant started when the proprietor's wife began serving shrimp po-boys to the crew. Hours are 11 AM to 10 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 11 PM Friday and Saturday (Memorial Day through Labor Day) and 11 AM to 9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 10 PM Friday and Saturday off-season. Extensive bar service and a great happy hour too!

Favorite Dish: The Fisherman's Wharf Fried Seafood Platter is one of the best I have ever had (just don't tell my heart doctor)!

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

Joe's Crab Shack: Good Seafood, Good Times

by Basaic Updated Apr 21, 2014

Joe's Crab Shack

$22 as of January 2014. Joe's Crab Shacks serve very good seafood in a nice casual environment. They call themselves "quirky" and perhaps they are which is fine with me. The staff is almost always friendly (this one was no exception) and efficient. Hours are 11 AM to Midnight daily (subject to the seasons). Beer and mixed drinks available too.

Favorite Dish: Try the Fisherman's Platter for plenty of seafood and top it off with a Category 5 Hurricane (Bacardi 151, more rum, etc).

• Beer Tasting

Mediterranean Chef: Fine Mediterranean Food

by Basaic Updated Mar 19, 2014

Mediterranean Chef

$12 as of January 2014. I am always up for a good gyro and I was told by a couple of different locals these were the best in town. After trying one I had no reason to doubt there word. The gyro had plenty of meat and was quite tasty. The restaurant is conveniently located if you are looking around the "Old Strand Historic District" and the staff was nice. Hours are 11 AM to 9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 10 PM on Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: Gyro Platter. Try the cheesecake, Tiramisu or Baklava too.

• Luxury Travel

Saltgrass: Best Steaks

by Basaic Written Mar 19, 2014

Saltgrass Steakhouse

$20 as of January 2014. If you are along the seawall, or anywhere else in Galveston, and have a hankering for a steak you have to go to the Saltgrass. The name comes from the saltgrass that grows along the shoreline and since the 1800s cattle grazing here have been called the tastiest in the state. Cowboys used to drive the herds past where the restaurant is now located to take advantage of the saltgrass. Thye menu includes steaks, chicken, seafood all grilled to perfection. They also have fresh made desserts along with soups and salads.

Favorite Dish: Try the Gulf Steak and Shrimp Lunch Platter. Excellent!

• Luxury Travel

Denny's: Decent Chain Restaurant

by Basaic Written Feb 22, 2014

Denny's

$13 as of January 2014. This is one of those diner style Denny's with the typical menu. Service was kinda average. Open 24 hours. Same parking area as the La Quinta.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Tilapia with rice and steamed zucchini and squash with Loaded Baked Potato Soup as an appetizer.

• WBeall's Profile Photo

The Spot: AWESOME BURGERS!

by WBeall Written Jan 19, 2013

The Spot is a local hangout but can get Super Packed with tourist during the peak seasons. Alot of bikers eat here also. They have the best Burgers in town and you can make them basically just how you like them. You order at the counter then find yourself a seat. The best place to sit is upstairs on the patio. There is 4 bars that are attached to the spot and at nights they are booming! This restaurant has great food, great hospitality, and GREAT VIEWS what else can you ask for?

Favorite Dish: Its all good!

• Cycling
    • Beaches

• WBeall's Profile Photo

McAlisters Deli: The Best Sandwiches on the Island

by WBeall Written Jan 19, 2013

McAlisters is a Deli that is pretty well known in the area. They have a variety of Sandwiches, Soups, and Salads. They also have the worlds best Sweet tea that you can buy by the gallon. McAlisters is on the seawall towards the east end of the island. You can sit inside or outside and there are a few shops in the same strip center. McAlisters is an order and sit down kind of place and the workers will bring you your food. They are ALWAYS very friendly and they really do have some amazing food. My favorite is the Taco Salad! YUMM im hungry just talking about it.

Favorite Dish: The Taco Salad, but then again I have never had anything there I did not like!

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Willie G's: The Price Is WRONG For Seafood!

by H-TownJourneyman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Willie G's

Willie G's is another on the long list of restaurants within the Landry's Restaurants, Inc. chain. I will start out by saying that the location of this restaurant is nice, with it being right off of the harbor of the Port of Galveston, and it's proximity to all the goings-on of the historic Strand District. And the decor is very pleasant, not a low rent scuzzy place, but you would expect decent surroundings from a Landry's establishment. But this is where it's ends for me as far as positives for this place. The menu is very extensive, but the 2 times that I have dined here, I was not impressed with the quality of food. Of the many different appetizers they have available, I have tried the fried calamari and the shrimp gumbo. The calamari was very tough, almost rubbery, and the gumbo very simply very bland, not a lot of taste to it. They have a wide variety of entrees, items such as numerous fish dishes, lobster, shrimp, chicken, steak, and crawfish. The fried catfish I had here was actually not that bad, but the crawfish etouffee i tried was not good at all. I'm not sure what kind of spices they were using here, but it did not taste anything like the traditional cajun dish I am used to. The wait staff was very nice, but the service was nothing extraordinary, and I had trouble getting a refill on my iced tea more than once. My biggest tift with the restaurant would most certainly be the price. While not the most expensive restaurant in Galveston, I certainly think that for the prices here, you would get a much better quality of food. There are much better places to eat seafood on the island, and many don't charge half the price that Willie G's does.

Favorite Dish: Fried Catfish Fillets. Really the only thing I have enjoyed here though.

• aja28's Profile Photo

Sunflower Bakery: Great Neighborhood Bakery

by aja28 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This bakery and sandwhich shop is located in the heart of a neighborhood just blocks from downtown. It's definitely a local spot. Very friendly. Very relaxing. You may find yourself sitting at a large table with strangers. That's cool. Sit - relax - read the paper - visit.

Favorite Dish: I love all their sandwhiches which are served on their homeade bread. Don't forget a glass of their homeade raspberry lemonade! I'm a fan of their banana bread. But, you can't go wrong with any of their sweets.

• aja28's Profile Photo

El Nopalito: Fantastic Mexican Food

by aja28 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Another great local Mexican food restuarant. Again - the atmosphere is lacking - but who cares with the great food served at this place. Great for lunch or dinner.

Favorite Dish: I like it all. The caldo de rez is awesome. Tacos al carbon are wonderful. You can't go wrong with anything you order here. It's just yummy.

• evalynn's Profile Photo

Ocean Grill: Best food & Best Views of the Gulf

by evalynn Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Ocean Grill Restaurant, the only restaurant on Galveston Island that actually extends over the sparkling Gulf of Mexico, offers some of the finest, freshest seafood on the Isle, and a glorious atmosphere. Featuring a delicious variety of both grilled and fried recipes, The Ocean Grill also is home to a spacious, full-service bar. Dining is available either inside in air-conditioned comfort, or on the breathtaking outer deck.

Favorite Dish: Anything!!!!

• Fisherman's Wharf: Great Atmosphere

by kkaylynn Written Apr 8, 2010

We came for an early lunch. It was a beautiful early April day, so we decided to sit outside, where we could watch the boats and the birds. We were right next door to the tall ship Elyssa, one of Galveston's main tourist attractions.

We suspected the portions would be large, so we decided to share the Fisherman's Platter. It was good, not great, but good. And the portions were as huge as we expected. In fact, when the waiter brought the dessert tray around, we were sorry to have to turn down all those beautiful desserts. We promised ourselves we will share an even smaller entree next time, so we can have room for dessert. They all looked wonderful.

We left the restaurant in a very happy frame of mind, satisfied with the food, the view and the service.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

La King Confectionary & Coffee House: Coffees, Confections, Ice Cream - a great combo!

by basstbn Written Dec 31, 2009

My wife and I were being shown a little bit of Galveston on a cool, breezy day after Christmas. As we strolled The Strand with my sister and brother-in-law, I spied a beautiful espresso machine inside one of the quaint old shops, and decided it was time for a café latté. I discovered La King - a coffee house, ice cream parlor, and candy store - what a great combo!

I must say that was one of the tastiest café lattés I've had ANYWHERE. My sister enjoyed her flavored latté (I forgot what kind) immensely, and Nancy said the brewed coffee was superb. While enjoying our drinks (and warming up) we watched the "Candy Master" at work making saltwater taffy, and looked at the colorful candies and enticing chocolate treats available.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Fish Tales Seafood Grill: Seafood on the Seawall

by msbrandysue Written May 3, 2009

I came into Fish Tales while I was waiting for the Mardi Gras parades. The parades were about 30 minutes away but my friend was dramatically hungry. So, we told the waiter we were in a hurry and ordered our food. I ordered a crab cake sandwich, which turned out to be really bad. There were more herbs than crabmeat...and our table was starring at the gulf so I was disappointed.

The service wasn't friendly but they were definitely quick and sufficient. The bathrooms were pleasant, but you had to be a customer to use the facilities. There seemed to be plenty of seating so there was no wait and it was a very busy weekend with Margi Gras and everything.

I wouldn't eat here again, but if there wasn't anywhere else to eat on the seawall then I would come again, just order something easy, like shrimp.

Favorite Dish: My friend's son had some fried shrimp...those looked good? Definitely pass up the crabcakes.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Rainforest Cafe: Rainforest Fun!

by msbrandysue Written Nov 2, 2008

If you have kids...it's only fair that you bring them here. It is soooo fun!

When you arrive you will hopefully see a Rainforest Cafe carivan coming to pick you up. It was so nice because it is on a side street that can be busy. The guy waited for us even. The walk won't kill you but on a busy day you might find yourself parking further away.

Before entering the restaurant you will see many carnival-like games set up. Again, these people are smart and know how to get every penny from you or your little ones!

Now, you're dealing with professionals here. They also have a build-a-bear workshop right inside this restaurant. And you better believe you're going to have to wait to be seated even if many tables are empty. Why? Because the longer you wait the more stuff you'll be able to buy. It's true..... Even my mom and I had to wait once and she even ended up purchasing something......two things I think. Hell, even I was about to start buying a build-a-bear or two.

As for the dining room it is chaos. It's loud. Why? Because you're in the rainforest! There are trees and animated animals everywhere. Every 10 minutes the elephants and apes go nutes and every 15 minutes or something like that a true rain shower hits (although you won't get wet).

The food, however, is WONDERFUL.

Helpful hint: If you go to the Galveston Tourist Office before this, or see any of the travel brochure stands...Rainforest Cafe has a coupon for a free appetizer. Pick it up and bring it! There are many choices to pick from and it's about a $10 value!&c*

Favorite Dish: I usually get the pizza because it's wonderful but really, anything is fantastic!

Breakfast is equally wonderful too. Especially the cubed hashbrowns!!

Oh and the signature dessert volcano has an actual sparkler going off when they bring it to you! (That'll set you back at least $10 though).

Instant Answers: Galveston

Comments

Galveston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Galveston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Galveston sightseeing.