Galveston Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Galveston

Phoenix Restaurant & Bakery: Nice Lunch Spot

by aja28 Written Jan 22, 2006

Nice cafe with outdoor seating. I usually get a lunch sandwhich/salad/soup combo. Always quite good. Get a cream puff or napolean for dessert. Their cakes are awesome. I used to get them for special occasions. Their pastries are great, too. They also have a decent breakfast.

Favorite Dish: Soup/salad/sandwhich combo plate
    napolean dessert
    all pastries and cakes are great
    The chicken salad and seafood salad are really good

• aja28's Profile Photo

Simp's Kitchen: Best Soul Food on the Planet!

by aja28 Updated Jan 22, 2006

Don't let the looks of this place fool you. Simp's Kitchen is a Galveston Landmark. You'll see people lining up early for lunch. It's a favorite of the business lunch crowd. When I lived in Galveston it was a treat to eat at Simps. They had limited air conditioning - and the small radio was always blaring a scratchy gospel station. The staff is friendly and obviously know what they are doing. Everything here is wonderful. Go hungry!

Favorite Dish: The stuffed shrimp is the best I've had. The ox tail is good. Pork chops are good. Fried chicken is lovely. I love the sides: fresh green beans, potato salad, greens, butter beans, cornbread. My mouth is watering. If you don't mind the lack of atmosphere and area real foody - don't miss this place!

• aja28's Profile Photo

Smooth Tony's: Best Smoothies in the World!

by aja28 Written Jan 22, 2006

Another great local spot. Tony is a super person. You'll find a friendly face and some great food and drink at Smooth Tony's. They only use fresh fruit that is in season. They will make any type of smoothy you can think of - blueberry and cantelope? Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and banana - you name it. They are just wonderful. They also serve a mean burger. They are great. Sometimes for lunch we would get the monster 32 oz smoothy....mmmm - great on a hot Galveston day.

Favorite Dish: Any smoothy - they are all fantastic
    Cheeseburgers are great
    Chicken sandwhich is great

La Estacion: Awesome Mexican Food

by aja28 Written Jan 22, 2006

This is some of the best Tex Mex I've ever eaten. I miss this place. You'll find locals from every walk of life frequenting this place. If it gets super busy - people will offer seats at their table. I just love this place.

Favorite Dish: They have the best rice in the world AND the best fresh tomato salsa. The breakfast burritos are to die for. I love the tacos and the cheese enhiladas....everything is good here!

• tippet7's Profile Photo

Tortuga's: Great food, great service!

by tippet7 Written Dec 9, 2005

This is the view from our hotel room, looking out

Went there for lunch. Probably the best meal of our trip. Service was great. Food was even better. I didnt think it was too expensive, and the amount and quality of the food was well worth the money and time.
    Dont pass this place up!

Favorite Dish: Shrimp quesadilla(sp) I dont know if the shrimp were right from the gulf or not. But it was damn good!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Mediterranean Chef: Greek in Galveston

by Jefie Written Nov 24, 2005

Mediterranean Chef is located on the Strand and although it doesn't look like much from outside (well, doesn't look like much from inside either!), the food was actually very good and not expensive. Our waiter was from Lebanon and seemed pretty happy to speak French with me so it made for a really enjoyable meal!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Yaga's Cafe: Cool restaurant on the Strand

by Jefie Updated Nov 24, 2005

That's me and my Shiner Bock!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Yaga's Cafe - the colorful decor puts you in a good mood as soon as you get in and our waitress was super nice! The menu offers all your typical pub fare with a Tex-Mex twist at a very reasonable price (which is great because a lot of restaurants on the Strand are rather expensive), and I'll always remember Yaga's Cafe as the place where I drank my first Texas-made beer!

• larsy's Profile Photo

Rudy and Paco's: A change from Mexican..

by larsy Updated Sep 16, 2005

Central American Cuisine in a nice atmosphere, the fried plantains at the start of each meal are wonderful. The owner always tseems to be on site and is very friendly.

Favorite Dish: The Tres Leches cake is worth going off a diet for

• larsy's Profile Photo

Simps: SIMP-ly the best soul food in town

by larsy Written Aug 5, 2005

The portion size is outragous. If you like home cooking this is the place for you. I had a giant plate of smothered pork chops, sweet potatoes and corn on my last visit, it was one if the best meals since I moved here. On Fridays they have a seafood special.
    This is a place tourist usually miss.

Yamato: Great Japanese food

by larsy Written Feb 27, 2005

Another great restaurant in a not prime location for tourist to find. Great hibachi chefs and wonderful sushi (the best on the island) the restaurant has been around for 20 years. A nice change from deep fried seafood. The also let you split hibachi orders witha small split plate charge.

Gaido's: Great view, Classic Location

by larsy Written Feb 27, 2005

If you've visited Galveston chances are you've been to Gaido's on Seawall. Its been around for 90+ years due to great food and great location. Expect a wait when you go there.

Favorite Dish: On my last visit I got their price-fix shrimp and while the shimp serving was a little small, I was very full from all of the other food included in the deal I didn't much care.

DiBella's: Best Steak on the Island

by larsy Written Feb 27, 2005

Tucked away in a neighboorhood, DiBellla's is often missed by visitors, an that is a shame as this is the best steak on the Island. Splurge for the extra crabmeat topping it is worth it. BUT dont forget cash because they dont take credit card or non-local check

Favorite Dish: Crab topped Steak

Mosquito Cafe: So good I have eaten there 2 days in a row

by larsy Written Feb 16, 2005

A Galveston favorite, the food always taste so fresh and healthy in the good way. A great variety of food in a relaxed atmosphere

Favorite Dish: The cold Asian beef bowl, the chicken salad crossiant, the burgers, basically everything on the menu is a winner. Oh, and what great desserts

• cruedo's Profile Photo

Joe's Crab Shack: Got Crabs?

by cruedo Written Sep 2, 2004

Friendly atmosphere, helpful staff, and great food.
    The t-shirts are kind of cool too.

Favorite Dish: Chilli poppers.
    Chilli peppers deep fried in bread crumbs with a lovely sauce in the middle.
    You'll need more beer!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Casey's Seaside Cafe: Try the Seafood

by keeweechic Updated Feb 25, 2003

We were recommended here by our hotel after asking for a good Seafood place for dinner. We were pretty tired so it was handy to have it just down the road. I can honestly say while the prices are not cheap, the meal was well worth it. I had the best seafood salad I have had in my life, really different with strips of black drum fish which had been marinated and grilled. I couldn't get through it but with my doggy bag (which I always seem to end up with ) I got to enjoy it the next day as well and it still was pretty good.

The sirloin came with grilled shrimp and garlic mashed potatoes with au gratin potatoes. The salad had an amazing honey pecan vinaigrette which was their house dressing - delicious.

Instant Answers: Galveston

Comments

Galveston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Galveston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Galveston sightseeing.