Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Galveston
The first church was founded in 1884 and sits opposite the Bishop's Palace. This new church, built in 1904, replaced the original structure which was wiped out by the Great Storm in 1900. This latest one was designed by a Jesuit priest and modelled after the Grand Synagogue of Toledo Spain and the Immaculate Conception Church in New Orleans. It really stands out in contrast to the rest of the reddish coloured buildings in Galveston. It is also unusual to see the onion dome which lends itself a little more to a Russian design.
Sacred Heart Church is a absolutely beautiful structure located near the Strand district on Broadway. The church's original building was opened in 1892, and was destroyed in the 1900 Galveston Hurricane that ravaged the city and killed thousands of people. The current building was completed in 1904, and partially rebuilt again after another hurricane in 1915. The church stands out among the many other Victorian style structures nearby, with it's lovely white color, and it's Moorish & Byzantine influences in design. Palm trees surround the perimeter of it, enhancing the wonderful architecture of the structure.