This was an early Texas gristmill which was constructed by Charles Barnard in 1860. The original mill was a three story building built like a fort to try and withstand Indian attacks.
In 1895 a cotton gin annex was added. During the 1940’s a hospital wing was built and a second level was added to the existing cotton gin annex. During the years from 1943 to 1971, this building functioned as a hospital.
Today the 3 story mill building and cotton gin annex is a private residence which is owned by Richard H Moore Jr. The hospital wing which was added in the 1940's and lies to the left fo the property, now houses the Barnards Mill Art Museum. The Museum has some 200 paintings, bronzes & etchings, works of art set in 12 rooms. Open Saturdays and Sundays.