The Old County Jail was built in 1934 and was a replacement for the first county jail built in 1884 on the same site. The first jail was only one story tall with the cell cage setting on the ground inside. This newer building was home to the Sheriff and/or Jailer and family on the lower floor. The prisoners were kept upstairs. The prisoners meals were all cooked by the jailers wife. The original cell cage sits in the middle of the room with a run around for exercise for the lesser felons.
A jail break occurred during the 1960’s when prisoners managed to cut the bars at night and cover the cut with wax shoe polish. The next night they pried the bars back with a stick of the stove’s wood, soaped their bodies and slipped out through through the window to the ground where they were caught.
The State of Texas condemned the building in the 1970’s as a jail which forced the county to build a new one but the county refurbished this building in 1991 for office space. The upstairs part remains unchanged.