This old jail was built in 1885 and was in operation through until 1978. The tall front part of the building was built to provide for an indoor gallows, but no one was ever hanged. You can take a tour through and see the original cell block and hanging tower.
They have on display a collection of old local photos, artefacts and memorabilia depicting the history of Granbury. There is also Gen. Granbury's original tombstone.
This memorial sits beside the Hood County Courthouse. It was erected in memory of General H.B. Granbury for whom the city was named. General Granbury was a Mississippian and came to Texas in the early 1850s. He was a lawyer in Waco then recruited into the Waco Guards, Confederate Army in 1861. As a Colonel in the Vicksburg campaign to prevent split of Confederacy along Mississippi River, he took 306 men into battle and lost 158. He was severely wounded in Chickamauga in 1863 but survived to be promoted to Brigadier General in 1964. He was one of 6 Confederate Generals killed at Franklin Tennessee. He was buried in Granbury Cemetery.
Early Presbyterians held services in this area in the 1850’s and organized this church in 1878. It was only a few years later that Granbury was formed and the congregation built this church in 1895-96.
The style is described as modified gothic and has a 3 story belfry and steeple. A lovely stained glass window was added in 1964. It has been listed on the Texas Historical Register.
This lovely old building is part of the Tarleton State University. It has been named the Dora Lee Langdon Cultural and Educational Centre and serves as a focal point for the arts in the Lake Granbury area. They offer monthly art exhibits, fine art for sale and also have concerts throughout the year (classical guitar series, American composer series, concerts on the lawn, jazz etc).
Jess and Alice Baker built this love Queen Anne house in 1905. Jess was a prominent local business man and banker as well as a member of the House of Representatives. He died in 1908 and Alice died in 1922.
The house was then purchased by Dr Arch Carmichael who was a prominent local physician and his wife Dora. The features of this house are a corner turret, formal portico with two-story columns, and a wraparound porch.
When Andy C Aston married Dorothy Ficklin he promised her a fine home as a wedding gift so in 1905 he had a gifted designer and builder build this wonderful Queen Anne style house. Mr Aston also owned the Aston-Landers saloon and it was said that his in-laws were concerned with how he made his money, so to also satisfy them, that that was another reason he promised to build this lovely home.
Mrs Aston was very active in her church and community and often opened her home for large gatherings. It was the first house built off the square. It is the home of Dr. and Mrs. Wilson and family today.
This museum has one of only two movie memorabilia exhibits in the South. They have on display many costumes, props, displays and examples from some of the biggest blockbuster movies of the past which has been collected and assembled over a decade and is one of the most comprehensive in the world.
You can take a self guided tour and view memorabilia from well known films such as Star Trek, Star Wars, Sound of Music, Superman, Forrest Gump, The Hunt for Red October, Truman Show and many others. There is also a film in the screening room which documents the history of film and how the major studios were created.
Admission is charged. Open all year round except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years day.
At the west end of Crockett Street which runs through the square is Granbury Cemetery which sits up on a hill with a view over the town and some of Hood County. Here you will find the gravesite of General Hiram Granbury as well as Jesse James, the outlaw.
This lovely old building was built in 1886. For 11 months of the year it would feature plays, musicals and melodramas.
As part of the restoration of the square, the Opera House was restored and reopened in 1975 to feature live theatre.
At one point the towns leaders actually considered removing the courthouse clock tower. Fortunately it was at a time when the preservation movement was gaining interest and the leaders were convinced to restore the clock and leave it in its rightful place
Here you see an historic home and log cabin built in 1858. This is a "working museum" (closed when I came by) so I did not get to explore it just photographed it.
The Rock House is an historical building that was taken over by Tarleton State University. It now houses the Cultural Education Center.
The old railroad depot has been restored to represent what an early 20th century rural train station in Texas looked like. It was built back in 1914. There are group tours available
1517 North Plaza Drive, Granbury, TX, 76048
Good for: Solo
635 Pearl Street, Granbury, Texas, 76048, United States
Good for: Couples
903 Harbor Lakes Drive, Granbury, Texas, 76048, United States
Good for: Business