Cross Timbers, Grand Prairie
Cross Timbers is a geographical site and an important landmark in Grand Prairie, comprising more than 3.5 million acres. The narrow strip of sandy timberland which is called the Eastern Cross Timbers, separates the blackland prairie and the Grand Prairie. The nearby prairies supported large herds of buffalo and horses and Indians camped here because of the food and hide source also the mild climate.
By 1720 French Traders came and opened trading posts. They began bartering with the Indians. Then came the Spanish with their mission outposts. All this proved very unpopular with local residents and many battles were fought and many lives were lost. It wasn't until the 1840's that the Anglo-Americans led to clashes and in 1841 the battle of Village Creek was just a few miles west of this site leaving the Indians to withdraw further to the west and leave the land to the white settlers.