Grapevine Historical Museum
When the old depot was dedicated in 1973, the Grapevine Historical Museum was started.
On display at the Museum are local and pioneer history exhibits. There are examples of the style of dress worn in Grapevines early years – even a dress which skirt has been made entirely out of men’s ties. There is also a geographical timeline dating back to when the ocean stretched into Grapevine.
Open Fri. - Sun. form 1 to 5 p.m. 707 S. Main Street
The Bragg House
This is a little L shaped house which was built in 1907 for the Bragg family helping to farm land in 523 Wildwood. When it was scheduled for demolition in 1995, the Grapevine Heritage Foundation acquired the house and moved it to the Heritage Centre complex. The exterior was restored in 1996. The Bragg family lived in this tiny house for 35 years.
The Cotton Belt Section Forman’s House
This was a 1888 Section Foreman’s house which was moved from Hall-Johnson Rd in south Grapevine to this site in 1993. When it was constructed, it was built without modern facilities and sheltered numerous railroad families from 1888 through to the 1950’s.
The Section Foreman was the crucial member of the community who’s job it was to ensure that the section of track between nearby communities of Coppell and Watauga was in good working order for mail and consumer goods to get through. He and his crew worked the tracks daily using a handcar.
Large Water Storage Capacity
This 1933 style of aermotor windmill provided good tasting water which wasn’t too hard or too soft. A sucker rod pumped water from more than 1,000 ft in the ground. These combinations were typically used for institutions rather than on farms or homes. The large diameter windmills were mounted on top of overhead 5,500 gallon water tanks for substantial water storage.
This is a vintage ‘combination-outfit’ windmill which was disassembled in 1997 and moved from its home on Ruth Wall Street to the Grapevine Heritage Centre area, outside the blacksmith shop where it was restored for everyone to enjoy.
Just before the blacksmith shop is this piece of petrified wood – one of four pieces which were saved during the construction of the Dallas/Ft Worth International Airport in the late 1960’/early 70’s. When the Cooper house was relocated for the construction, many fossils and pieces of petrified wood were found in the home.
Both Billie and Ed Cooper and their family became well known for the archaeological findings during the airport construction time. Petrified wood is formed when trees are buried in sediment and the wood is penetrated by water rich in silica. Over time the wood fibres are replaced by the silica and other minerals and the logs are converted to stone.
From Horseshoes to Bi-Planes
Over the years the shop became a meeting place for airplane pilots and was even called in to fix a bi-plane at one time. The men of the community also gathered here to whittle and chat either by the wood stove or out under the elm tree. The original building was torn down in 1939
Grapevine Heritage Center
The Grapevine Heritage Center (and Visitor Centre) was created to protect and reserve the rich history in this area. This was the original site of the Cotton Belt Railroad depot and cotton docks.
The 3 acre area acts as an heritage education centre to new generations on the businesses and lifestyles of Grapevines early residents as well as having arts and crafts from local artists.
Main St Bread Shop
Originally the Parker Furniture store and built in the 1940’s, this is now the Main Street Bread Shop. The façade has been recently reconstructed and the windows are of Belgian-hammered cathedral glass.
The Main Street Bread Shop is a French bakery and bistro. They specialise in fresh baked breads and pastries, desserts, sandwiches, salads, and soups.
Big Fish Restaurant
While this building now accommodates a restaurant, in its early days it was J. Lipscomb Dry Goods Company. Built in 1900 it has 3 bays which are divided by two square cast iron columns and pilasters. There are decorative entry doors and windows about the front of the store.
This is a bronze sculpture of Benjamin Richard Wall who was born in Grapevine in 1876. He became a lawyer, then Mayor of Grapevine on different occasions including during World War I and II. He also had weekly columns in the grapevine Sun newspaper. In 1900, while in his early 20’s he went to Galveston to help with disaster aid with the great hurricane that devastated the island. In 1912 he formed an international relationship with the citizens of Pitcairn Island and began urging citizens of Grapevine to donate items to the Islanders in need. He was well thought of and well respected role model for Grapevine.
Willhoitte Garage & Service Station
Wilhoitte has been a well seen name in Grapevine since 1921 when A.W. Willhoite and Bart Starr Jr opened the first one-stop auto service in this 2 storey retail building which was especially converted.
The building itself was built in 1913. Willhoite then installed the town’s first electric gas pumps and hydraulic autolift 15 years later. After 50years in operation by the family, the auto service closed. There is a restaurant here now which still bears the original owners name.
Selling Coffins in a General Store
When John E Foust moved to Grapevine in1880, he originally owned a general merchandise store which sold coffins. After adding other services, he eventually opened a funeral business. After John’s death, his son managed both businesses until the 1960’s.
The Grapevine City Council ordered this calaboose to be built in 1909 and it was the town’s first jail. Used mainly for petty criminals right up into the 1950’s, it must have got pretty hot in summer and darn cold in winter sitting in this little thing. The calaboose has been moved twice since its original location behind the Main Street shops to the north of where it now sits.
"The Sidewalk Judge"
An interesting character you will come across is The Sidewalk Judge – a lifelike character that sits on a bench outside the old Wallis Hotel. The judge is to represent the older generation of men in the early days of Grapevine, who would congregate in town to catch-up and give advice to anyone wanting it. He looks like he’s sitting there ready to have someone sit beside him for a chat. The sculpture was dedicated in 1997 and was created by J. Seward Johnson.
(Part of the Art Walk)
2337 South International Parkway, P.O. Box 619045, Dallas, Texas, 75261-9045, United States
Good for: Couples
2240 W. Grapevine Mills Circle, Grapevine, Texas, 76051, United States
Good for: Families
1750 State Highway 121 North, Grapevine, Texas, 76051, United States
Good for: Families
Latest Grapevine Hotel Reviews
- Gaylord Texan
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
- Garden Manor Inn
- 1 Review
- Embassy Suites Hotel DFW Airport North Outdoor World
- Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Explore the World
- Boca Chica Key
- Podanur Hotels
- Mihintale Hotels
- Chacarilla Hotels
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Hotels