Gruene Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Gruene

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Gristmill: Fancy Dining in Gruene

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 9, 2008

Behind historic Gruene Hall is a well-known Texas restaurant who's epic portions are known as Texas sized. For those unfamiliar, the common term is derived from the slogan, "Everything's Bigger in Texas".

In the interest of full disclosure, I have eaten at this restaurant several times, but each one was directly related to activities that made me very hungry prior to the meal, so my opinion may be a bit biased. The first time I enjoyed the Gristmill was right after a long afternoon of tubing on the Guadalupe River, which sun and sangria may have played a part. The other notable time at this restaurant was after a concert at historic Gruene Hall, in which I had done a bit of two-stepping.

On the first visit, I was a college student, so I opted for the less expensive version of eating, which was the chicken fried steak. It comes hand breaded and deep fried, with some delicious cream (white) gravy on top. I went with the mashed potato on the side which was the perfect compliment of calories! On my second visit, I was a little better off, and opted for the Texas T-Bone Steak with fresh onion rings on the side. This was a mouth watering choice, and I definitely did not leave an ounce of food anywhere to be found. The onion rings are also quite large and delicious, but I would recommend having about four people at the table before you order a plate of them!

Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant for a good hometown sit down meal.

• Beer Tasting

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Gristmill Restaurant: Home Cooking

by rsleisk Written Sep 17, 2004

Gristmill bar area.

The Gristmill Restaurant is located behind the historic Gruene Dancehall in Gruene, Texas. The place is a huge family restaurant serving up good-old home cooking Texas style.

There are many different seating areas and a large bar area with views of the Guadalupe river. There is also a kid's playground a great place to let them run free.

Favorite Dish: Great burgers!

• Beer Tasting

• lumberjack83's Profile Photo

I believe it was called 'The...

by lumberjack83 Written Aug 26, 2002

I believe it was called 'The Grist Mill' and it was a 2 story restaurant in an old converted mill. The best seats our upstairs on the balcony, where you can overlook the Guadalupe through the oak trees.
    A quiet, historic town with several buildings dating from the last century, which speak volumes about everyday life during that period. Gruene Hall is a quite famous in its own right, hosting many country stars including George Strait and Jerry Jeff Walker. An interior photo of the hall can be seen on the back of one of Goerge's albums.

Favorite Dish: Can't remember what I ate, but I believe the food was pretty good. We were all quite impressed.

• Adobe Verde: Best Mexican Food In New Braunfels

by SWTexan82 Written Aug 16, 2005

Adobe Verde is a great mexican food restaraunt located in historic Gruene, Texas. Great alternative to go when the line to the Gristmill stretches to the mexican border. Live music most nights, happy hour, great margaritas.

Favorite Dish: From the enchiladas, nachos to the combo plates and even the chicken fried steak was good here, I havent had anything bad yet.

• Rafting
    • Camping

Instant Answers: Gruene

Comments

Gruene Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gruene restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gruene sightseeing.