Driving / Traffic, Houston

Know about this? Rate It!

Galleria Outside View
    by tarush
  • mwenn2100's Profile Photo

Lack of Signs

by mwenn2100 Written Aug 25, 2006

Favorite thing: Maybe I've become spoiled because in Milwakee there are signs everywhere you turn... which freeway you are on, how to get to the nearest freeway, hell even how to exit the airport, but I found Houston was severly lacking signage. If you are renting a car (which I suggest) allow for extra time to get lost and then find that you were going the right way all along! I can't tell you how many rental cars I saw doing u-turns or the drivers looking confused (I was one of them) so just get really detailed directions and pray that you're going the right way.

Fondest memory: Actually getting to my destinations... I actually felt a sense of accomplishment! LOL

• mwenn2100's Profile Photo

I loathe all tollways

by mwenn2100 Updated Aug 25, 2006

Favorite thing: Not just in Houston either. If you have to get anywhere during the rushhour time and have to get on the tollway and travel, allow for extra time. I went through 3 tolls on the way to the airport and probably added a good 25-30 minutes onto my drive just sitting in line waiting at the toll booths.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Enjoy the view

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 8, 2005

Galleria Outside View

Favorite thing: Take some time when you get to your hotel room to take a look at your surroundings. During my trip to Houston, I stayed at the Houston Galleria Westin, and had this beautiful evening view of downtown.

This picture was taken around sunrise.

• GroovyDoc's Profile Photo

Traffic

by GroovyDoc Written Jan 5, 2003

Favorite thing: Houston is the fourth largest city in America, so traffic is bound to be terrible and rush hours are long. And there is always construction!! Avoid major interstates between 4-7pm and 7-9am!! Turn to AM 610 for traffic updates, too!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

A Challenging City

by keeweechic Updated Jun 22, 2003

Favorite thing: Houston was just really a one day trip for us, primarily to see the Space Centre and then move on to Galveston. We arrived mid morning and found our way to the Galleria and the Water wall first off. Navigating the city was a little tricky and you probably need to be a long time local to understand the logic in some of it.

While trying to find the Chinese Temple, we ended up on a section of freeway which took pride in holding on to its captives and not providing any off ramps. We were quite a way out before we could get off and try and then try and find our way back again - all the while running low on petrol and having to find a gas station as well. That little exercise (and I didn't mention the traffic) was enough to make us quit on the city and head straight for the Space Center - there was a time factor as well. So one day I may be brave enough to go back and see more of Houston.

• Houston's freeways can be...

by newyorker300 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Houston's freeways can be kinda scary. They are big and full of people. also, each one has about three names so, make sure you get exact directions when trying to get somewhere...like I45 instead of just the north freeway...which could also be the gulf freeway depending on what side of town you are on.

• tarush's Profile Photo

Houston is a huge city, the...

by tarush Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Houston is a huge city, the 4th largest in the nation and everyone here owns a car... and I don't mean every family.. i mean each person has his own car... I need not say that public transport isn't exactly the best there is.. You will need to rent a car or know someone living here.. You should also try and catch the fireworks over downtown...houston houston houston houston houston houston houston houston houston houston

Instant Answers: Houston