Places to eat in Houston

• Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in Houston
    Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in...
  • Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in Houston
    Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in...
  • Crêpe dripping with belgian chocolate, Jeanine's B
    Crêpe dripping with belgian chocolate,...

Most Viewed Restaurants in Houston

• Buffalo Grille: Awesome Food Must Try if in Houston

by gtmustang9814 Written May 28, 2011

They serve all three meals a day. They have been in business since 1984. They have two locations one near West U area and one near First Bapist Chruch. They are famous for the breakfasts. They have 10 inch pancakes they are huge!!!

Favorite Dish: Their pancakes and their grilled cat fish.

Hickory Hollow BBQ: BBQ That Supports Texas

by msbrandysue Written Apr 5, 2011

Since I do love travelling and trying new restaurants in the area, I joined a group called Go Texan. It supports local restaurants (not many chains) that use produce and meats that are grown in Texas. So each year they have an Eating Out Week where they will put out a list of Go Texan restaurants in your area. There were only 2 restaurants in my area: Hickory Hollow was one of them.

So one night we ordered it to pick up. The place was very authentic. Wooden posts in the middle of the linoleum floors. Writing on the walls...you know that feeling. Very hometown. It's not by any other restaurants, so you won't come upon it, you have to come here with a purchase.

Sundays: 11 - 8:30 (8:00pm closing in winter)
    Mon.- Thur: 11 - 9:00
    Friday and Saturday: 11 - 9:30

Favorite Dish: The food was fantastic! The french fries were so good, those krinkly kind... The catfish was great, brisket, and sausage. The beans, baked potato, and potato salad were good as well.

They had a good kids meal for those with families, too.

Rigia's Pizza: Crappy Pizza but Heck of a Good Time

by msbrandysue Updated Apr 4, 2011

Although this pizza is quite North of downtown it's the perfect journey to a fun night. So Myspace Local has really got me trying other places around town and I have to say it's quite the adventure! I found Rigia's on ML and checked out their website. They said they were famous for their 30'' pizza. For some reason I thought a large pizza was like 24''...boy was I wrong! When we went to pick it up...thank god I was in my mom's truck because the thing wouldn't fit in a car! We had to put it in the BED of the truck! That's right, it was bigger than the stove. You truly have to see it, so check out the website and/or hit me up on Myspace to send personal pictures. The thing is supposed to feed 12-16 people. We hardly made a dent in it and I've eaten it two days.

The positive side? They serve green olives, which is rare nowadays. Usually you can only find black olives.

The pizza itself is not very good. The sauce is different, true, but it's not good. Now, I'm sure that it's hard to spread 30'' of sauce but still it was in clumps. The crust is nothing special (but I like crust so it's kind of important for me).

And there is no dine-in. It's all take-out which wasn't as fun but I don't know if the pizza would have fit on a table anyway...it's THAT big!

The only other hint I would give you is make sure you know exactly where to turn. The map on the website shows it's just right on 2920 from Kuyhendahl but it's actually behind a gas station on the back corner of Rhodes and 2920. (We had a hard time finding it.

Definitely would recommend it for the entertainment value, though. Especially for a birthday party, house party, etc. I think we laughed about it days later even and the box is absolutely hilarious to keep as a momento.
    Trust me, you haven't seen anything like it!

But just ordering a regular pizza? Pass on this place.

Favorite Dish: They have green olives but other than that.....yucky.

***PS The MONSTER pizza was almost $40 so that's why I'm putting the pricing guide. If you're not getting this monster pizza than pass on this place.

BEFORE AFTER (We failed miserably)

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

Sundance Grill: Sunset and sailboats in Clear Lake

by XenoHumph Updated Apr 4, 2011

***UPDATE***
    Unfortunately, this restaurant got wiped-out by hurricane Ike in 2008. As of July 2010, it still has not re-opened. They have another location on the Kemah boardwalk, but I have never tried it.
    ***UPDATE***

This restaurant is wonderful from November to April when you can sit on their beautiful terrace and watch the boats come by and the sunset. The restaurant is located on the Southern shore of Clear Lake along the channel that the sailboats (and all sorts of pleasure boats) have to take to go back and from Clear Lake to Galveston Bay. The food is not extraordinary (typical American fare, fish, steaks, burgers), and definitely overpriced. But you pay for the view and the atmosphere. Also part of the show are the numerous birds, including some very friendly ducks who come next to your table to beg for food. We like to go to this restaurant when we have visitors or tourists from out of town. Definitely go there for diner to watch the sunset. Finally if you come by boat, they have docking facilities.

Sunset at Sundance Grill in Clear Lake Texas USA View from Sundance Grill in Clear Lake Texas, USA View from Sundance Grill in Clear Lake Texas, USA Ducks at Sundance Grill in Clear Lake Texas, USA
    • Sailing and Boating

• shargurl's Profile Photo

Aquarium - Underwater Dining: Downtown Houston Dining

by shargurl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Experience underwater dining as you are surrounded by a 200,000 gallon tank containing shar, stingrays and of course, fish!

The Aquarium also includes a ferris wheel and an aquarium exhibit. A truly unique experience in Downtown Houston.

Outdoor Waterfall at the Aquarium
    • Aquarium
    • Theme Park Trips

• melim19's Profile Photo

Miguelito's: Pedacito de Venezuela en Houston!

by melim19 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a very small restaurant. Not very nice looking in the outside.. and parking is horrible.. BUT... wow.. the food is what counts and it is amazing. This seems to be the only 100% authentic venezuelan restaurant in Houston. The inside decor is very caribbean just as Venezuela. It is adorned with folklore art from the country.. (overpriced by the way, i can say that, because i saw the same stuff way cheaper in venezuela). They also do delivery.. but too bad... it is only to a three mile radius from their location! I am so far!

Favorite Dish: Wow.. there is so many great dishes. If you can't decide go for a sampler. I recommend the 'national dish' of venezuela : Pabellon Criollo. Also.. go for an arepa! Just like in Venezuela!... Their Hallaca is pretty good too!

Oh yea... they have soft drinks from Venezuela too! Frescolitaa!!

My mother at Miguelito's

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Buffalo Wild Wings: Great Sports Bar, Great Wings!

by H-TownJourneyman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Buffalo Wild Wings, formerly known as BW3, is a great chain of sports bars found here in Houston, and throughout the country. An excellent place to drink some beer, eat some wings, and watch some sports! I usually frequent the one located in the Rice Village, but I have been to most of the locations here in town, and they are all equally good. They do have a full menu of food to order, but the place does have the word "wings" in it's name, so I would strongly recommend trying some. They also have a wide variety of beers, both domestic and import, and mixed drinks if you prefer. Big Screen T.V.'s, full glasses of beer, and lots of buffalo wings! What else would you want?!!!

B-Dubs

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

La Tapatia Mexican Cafe & Cantina: One of the best Taquerias in town!

by H-TownJourneyman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Looking for Tex-Mex food? This is what Tex-Mex is all about! Houston is a mecca for Mexican food restaurants, many billing themselves as being glamorous, almost gourmet. But this local chain of taquerias doesn't hype up themselves, they don't need to. The food speaks for itself. Now usually it can be a little loud in these restaurants. Along with the usual large crowds, they tend to have norteno or cumbia music blasting out of the jukebox. But it kind of just adds to the whole atmosphere, in a good way. The menu is full of your standard Tex-Mex dishes, along with a few not-so-common items. They also have a nice selection of Mexican beers, i.e. Dos XX, Corona, Tecate, etc., as well as domestics. Another great addition is after you finish your meal. You find out that the bill is reasonable, heck, down right cheap. And this is also one of the rare places in town you can have a late night meal, as they are open until 3am during the week, and 5am on the weekends. Don't be suprised if you walk in after a night on the town to find this place packed way after 2am. Great food, good service, and excellent prices! My kind of restaurant!

Favorite Dish: Flautas, Enchiladas, Tamales, Fajitas, need I go on? Everything is great!

La Tapatia

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Goode Company Seafood: Great Seafood, With a Gulf Coast Feel!

by H-TownJourneyman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Goode Company Seafood is another restaurant in the local Goode Company chain of restaurants. There are actually 2 locations, but I have only been to the one on Westpark. The restaurant building itself is quite interesting, as part of it is an old Amtrak train car, sitting on tracks (hopefully the brakes are locked, but I have never asked!). Inside you will find decor that reminds you of a local seafood kitchen found in a small town along the Gulf Coast. Lots of old pictures of fisherman on the walls, as well as fishing tackle and nets, even some fish (They are dead, and have been taken to the taxidermist). The part of the restaurant housed in the train has the bar, as well as tables. You'll find patrons dining at both. The other half of the restaurant is strictly tables. The food here is top notch Gulf seafood. Appetizers such as shrimp cocktails and shucked oysters make great starters. They also have excellent gumbo to begin with, or make a meal out of. The Poboy sandwiches here are also really good. Main entrees include a long list of various fish dinners, crab, shrimp, oysters, etouffee, and even steak. The Pecan pie will be sure to finish off your hunger quite nicely!

Favorite Dish: Catfish filet. Some of the best fried Catfish in town!

Goode Company Seafood

• krackhorre's Profile Photo

La Mora: The Best of Tuscany

by krackhorre Updated Apr 4, 2011

La Mora is my absolute favorite Italian restaurant in the greater Houston area. I was 14 years old when they opened and have been a loyal customer ever since. The atmosphere in the front room is very warm and romantic and is very remenicent of a Tuscan cottage. The main dining room is a site to behold with a vaulted ceiling and outer walls lined with columns. The wait staff are very friendly and accomodating without being overbearing. Most of their food is incredible, I can safely say that I have tried at least 80% of the menu at La Mora and have never been disappointed.

Favorite Dish: Antipasti - Cape Sante alla Marissa

La Mora

• texas_bravo's Profile Photo

Pappas Brothers Steakhouse: Well worth the price

by texas_bravo Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is in the top three steakhouses in Houston. I hope if you go you are oon a corporate expense account, cause it can get a bit expensive! Amazing bar, great wine list.
    Very elegant place, while maintaining a Texas steakhouse feel. Not to mention the cigar bar!

Favorite Dish: You can't go worng with anything on the menu. I prefer the 18oz, Prime Ribeye.
    What the hell wash it all down with a glass of Remy Louis XIII , it's only $125 per glass.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Saltgrass Steakhouse: Texas Steak Just the Way it Should Be!

by msbrandysue Updated Mar 28, 2011

When Saltgrass first started expanding their franchises I hated steak. Yea, yea, I wasn't even a teenager though. So I started with the kids menu and have worked myself up to the best steak in the place.

The restaurant is authentic country Texas. The decor ranges from televisions with the game on, deer heads, bear heads, license plates and other country decor. They have a full bar and eating area. The tables are covered in white linens and the waitors wear tuxedo shirts and long white aprons.

I recently went here for my birthday lunch and was surprised to have been given a black napkin and silverware. I think the waitress saw the confusion on my face and said that I was given the black one because my dress pants were black and it was to protect them. Isn't that wonderful? I thought it was very thoughtful of them.

There are many restaurants around the city. So, please, use the website and find the one nearest you. I've never been disappointed by one and I've been to quite a few around the state.

Favorite Dish: The food is delicious!! I would highly recommend the Maudene's Filet. 7oz. is more than enough for me but I believe there is a 10oz. cut as well. It comes with your choice of side (potatoes a few different ways or veggies) along with onion rings on the side. It's soooooo good!!!! When you order a steak you also get a choice of soup or salad. Both are delicious.

**UPDATE: I now usually order the salmon. I order it well done so it's crispy on the edges. It's heaven if you love salmon. So wonderful!

You get complimentary bread with fantastic tasting butter. So great.

When you order tea they bring out your own jar of tea so that you can refill your own glasses. My dad likes that.

Bad picture of the fire place during Christmas Inside the restaurant...and my nephew :)

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Canopy: Good place for lunch near the museum district

by iblatt Updated Feb 8, 2011

We spent a day in the museum district of Houston and were looking for a place for lunch. "Canopy" was recommended to us. We had a hummus dish ($8), which had a very delicate taste, and a baby spinach chicken salad ($11) which was also very good.

The restaurant was bright and airy, and the service was very friendly.
    This a very good choice for breakfast, brunch or lunch!

• Museum Visits
    • Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Sullivan's Steakhouse: Excellent Steaks!

by iblatt Updated Jan 12, 2011

My family in Houston took me out to have a typical Texas steak dinner in Sullivan's. This proved an excellent choice. The 8 oz filet mignon was just fine for me, it was juicy and delicious.

For more serious carnivores (which abound in Texas) there are also: a 12 oz filet mignon, a 12 oz / 16 oz New York strip, a 16 oz ribeye, an 18 oz bone-in KC strip, a 22 oz bone-in ribeye (named "Cowboy Cut"), and a 24 oz porterhouse. Prices are between $32 and $ 40.

It was a memorable dinner: the food, the ambience, and the excellent company of David, Sandy, Darlene, Jeff, Jason and April.

Sullivan's Steakhouse, Houston, TX Sullivan's Steakhouse, Houston, TX Sullivan's Steakhouse, Houston, TX Sullivan's Steakhouse, Houston, TX

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

The Davenport Lounge: The best martinis in Clear Lake & Houston!

by XenoHumph Updated Sep 25, 2010

This cocktail lounge has an impressive list of about 50 different martinis, plus many other cocktails. They also have a solid collection of Scotches and vodkas. The martinis are delicious, the best I have ever had! The perfect place to relax after work or on a Friday or Saturday night.

Open every day from 2 pm to 2 am.

There are 2 Davenport lounges, one in the center of Houston (2117 Richmond Ave), and one in the Clear Lake Area (1235 Clear Lake City Blvd). I only went to the latter which opened a year ago (I am writing this tip in Sept 2010).

Favorite Dish: The caramel apple martini

Latest: Jul 10, 2013
Hilton Garden Inn Houston Westbelt
Latest: Jul 13, 2014

Instant Answers: Houston

Comments

Houston Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Houston locals.
Map of Houston