Places to eat in Houston

• Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in Houston
    Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in...
  • Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in Houston
    Jeanine's Bistro, Belgian restaurant in...
  • Crêpe dripping with belgian chocolate, Jeanine's B
    Crêpe dripping with belgian chocolate,...

Most Viewed Restaurants in Houston

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

U Can't Judge a Book by its Cover: Spaghetti Western

by SpaceCoastMomma Written May 31, 2007

If you were driving down the street and saw this place, you might pass it by ~ I did and I lived near it for years! While back in Houston a few weeks ago, my friends & I ordered take-out from this place and I was completely amazed that it was so delicious! (And disappointed that I didn't tap into this place when I lived there). Lots of pasta dishes, a good selection of soups & sandwiches and a dizzying array of delectable entrees.

Favorite Dish: I had the Veal Scallopine and it was absolutely heavenly. My friends both had the Grilled Pork Chop (a specialty of the house) and I tasted it...and wished I had ordered two entrees because it was soooooooo yummy!!! The sauce on top was amazing ~ a little spicy, a little tangy and a perfect accompaniment for the pork.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Chef Hunan Bo: Excellent Take-out

by SpaceCoastMomma Written May 31, 2007

The restaurant itself is nothing special, but they do the absolute best job on their delivery / take-out. Speak slowly when ordering and be prepared to spell things! :)

Favorite Dish: #68 Happily Family with curry. Note: you have to ask them to make it with the curry as it doesn't typically come this way, but it is soooooooooooo delicious prepared this way. My favorite dish by far. My husband's favorite is the #90 Yu Shiang Fish wish is also deeeeeeeeelicious, I have to agree.

• jimmymac8's Profile Photo

Fadi's Mediterranean Grill: For Mediterranean Food Lovers

by jimmymac8 Updated May 3, 2007

There are two Fadi's locations in Houston. One is located at Westheimer and Dunvale. The other is located at Beechnut and Loop 610, just across from Meyerland Plaza. I prefer the Beechnut location for its ambience (more light and friendlier service) and easy access from the freeway.

Favorite Dish: I like the fresh Lebanese and Greek salads and the flatbread is always straight from the oven, warm and delicious. Platters and samplers offer different combos of meats, salads and vegetables all under $10 at lunchtime. They also offer wonderfully refreshing fresh fruit drinks. For other reviews visit: www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv1357.asp

• crodri1's Profile Photo

Lupe Tortilla's: The best mexican food in Houston

by crodri1 Written Apr 18, 2007

My husband and I were huge fans of another mexican restaurant for a long time, but have now decided this is the best. We are so happy EVERYTIME we go to Lupe's.

The restaurant does seat a lot of people, but its setup into rooms as if you're in a house so you may feel cramped depending on what room you are in.

It is a family-friendly restaurant and even has a play area outside for the kids.

Not sure if every location has this, but the one out west off of Hwy 6 has a large area inside if you are just there for happy hour. This is really great because it does tend to get very crowded.

Favorite Dish: THE STEAK FAJITAS! I have no idea what they do to the meat, but it is delicious. The sides that come with the fajitas are also very tasty.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

Gravitas: Gourmet food but too noisy

by XenoHumph Updated Feb 26, 2007

This restaurant has gourmet food AND big portions. Our meal was excellent and the service is very good. The kitchen is open to the main room so you can see the cooks which is fun. So it pains me to have to put some negativity in this review. But, it was so noisy that i couldn't hear myself speak and you have to shout to try to have a conversation. The noise simply comes from everyone's conversation as I guess the walls and ceiling/floor are very reflective. They need to put in some carpets!! I also went a Saturday night, and the restaurant was full. Maybe a week night would have been more quiet. Cigarette smoke from the bar drifted in the main room which was annoying as well.
    Reservation recommended.

Favorite Dish: The first courses are huge and I was already full after my risotto (delicious). The mussels and fries I had as entrée were excellent and my friends had steak, chicken and lamb and all loved it. We had great wines. The wine list is extensive and includes a high-end list where bottles cost more than $100.

Gravitas American bistro, Houston, Texas

St Pete's Dancing Marlin

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 13, 2006

Located on Main Street in central Houston, St Pete's was a great place for us to stop and grab a cold one on a hot day in the city. At 3pm, the place was almost completely empty except for the bartenders and waitresses who appeared to be somewhat bored. We had a few beers in this relaxed atmosphere, then were on our way.

Though we didn't eat here, St. Pete's specializes in seafood (as the name implies) but also has a variety of steaks, salads, and sandwiches.

Brennan's: Great food and service

by Stargazer1 Written Dec 3, 2006

Although, I checked French, this is typically Cajun fare. The brother or sister of the famous Brennan family of Louisiana/New Orleans opened this restaurant about 20 years ago. When we were deciding on a fancy/nice restaurant to go to for our son's first time in such a place, one of our favorites, Brennan's immediately came to mind. Even though their gumbo is fantastic (very smooth and rich, probably the only one better than mine), he chose a salad and loved it. He and my wife had seafood, which was excellent, and I had tenderloins which were cooked to perfection, and had an excellent glaze/sauce. Dessert is never to be missed.

Favorite Dish: I love the gumbo and the tenderloins. Fork-tender. And the desserts are awesome as well.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

Kiran's: Gourmet Indian & Fine wines, Houston (Westheimer)

by XenoHumph Updated Nov 27, 2006

This restaurant is very special because the food is not your ordinary Indian fare, but rather a haute-cuisine, gourmet interpretation of it. It is amazing! Everything was delicately spiced, and with subtle unusual flavors or association of flavors. And, they have a particular pride in their wine list. It is very rare in my experience in the US or Europe to find good wines in an Indian restaurant. Service impeccable, friendly waiters, exceptional meals, good wine... what more do you want?
    By the way, the chef, Kiran Verma is a lady who owns another Indian restaurant in Houston, Ashiana (I have never been to that one). I recommand this restaurant for a romantic evening or for business travellers.

Favorite Dish: They had a little menu for $55 with tuna & crab appetizer (see picture), than quail or hallibut, than amazing lamb chop curry, and finally 3 different flavors of creme brûlée. All were to die for.

Kiran's restaurant, Houston, Texas Kiran's restaurant, Houston, Texas Appetizer at Kiran's restaurant, Houston, Texas

Antonio's Mexical Grill: Good Tex-Mex food

by Stargazer1 Written Nov 26, 2006

Good, basic Tex-Mex. Wife split the poblano chicken fajitas with her mother, son had shrimp enchiladas. Only two problems. The borracho beans were a bit undercooked, and could have been spicier. No lunch menu, so lunch is as expensive as dinner, especially if you have drinks. Chips and salsa are good, salsa is served piping hot.

Favorite Dish: Tacos al carbon, with good fajita meat. Comes with salad, guacamole salad, pico de gallo, rice, and a cup of borracho beans.

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Two Rows: Restaurant, Brewery, Sports Bar: Call It Whatever!

by H-TownJourneyman Updated Nov 4, 2006

Describing this place is not the easiest of tasks, because it has elements of a few different type of places. But no matter, because whatever you term it as, Two Rows is a great place to enjoy a meal, a beer, and take in some sports on the tube! With all of the televisions that are placed inside, as well as outside on the patio, and the fact that they are always showing sports events, you could term this place a sports bar. With it's extensive menu of delicious sandwiches, burgers, entrees, and salads, you could also define this place as a restaurant. And the fact that they brew their own beer on the premises would allow you to also call this place a brewery! So call it what you will, the food is tasty, the beer is great, and the sports are aplenty! :) And by no means is this place a dump. It has a very modern decor, and is popular with all sorts of people, from local college students to elderly couples in their golden years.

Favorite Dish: I really like the Pollo Guapo sandwich here, which has blackened chicken, avocado slices, mushrooms, & mozzarella. As for beer, Osage Golden Wheat is excellent; a great pale malt served with a slice of lemon.

Two Rows

Los Gallitos

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 8, 2006

Los Gallitos, or the rooster, is one of my uncle's favorite Mexican restaurants in Texas, so he was glad to take us here when we requested some good Mexican food. My father had the chicken and steak fajitas and I had a burrito combo meal. I don't remember what my uncle had, but our total bill was just $37 including 2 beers and a lemonade...not bad considering we all left the place stuffed. The decor here is entirely comprised of roosters of various shapes and sizes. The restaurant is clean and modern.

9ers Grill

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 8, 2006

We stopped at 9er's one afternoon for a late lunch after visiting the pool at my cousin's house. Though pretty quiet at this time of day, the large, clean restaurant served up a great meal. All three of us had the crawfish platter ($9) with a fountain drink ($1.50). The deep-fried crawfish tails were excellent, and much less work than a whole, boiled mud-bug!

9ers is a casual restaurant where you order at the counter then pick up your meal when they call your number, but it doesn't have a cheap feel since they use real china dishes and metal silverware.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

Baba Yega: Delicious American (Montrose)

by XenoHumph Updated Aug 17, 2006

This restaurant has a great atmosphere, is not expensive, has very good american food (great burgers). It is located in the heart of the gay district of Houston, the Montrose area. They have an absolutely lovely court yard with pretty lush plants and flowers and a terrace in the little street the restaurant is on. I insist on the courtyard and the terrace because it is rare in Houston where most restaurants overlook gross giant parking lots.

Favorite Dish: Burgers.

• Gay and Lesbian

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

Tony's: Very expensive but not top quality (Galleria area)

by XenoHumph Updated Aug 17, 2006

Update August 2006: This restaurant moved since I went there (it used to be on Poast Oak Avenue).
    It is now located at:
    3755 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas 77046
    (713) 622-6778

Tony's is one of the most fancy restaurant of Houston, if not the most fancy, at least in terms of reputation. I just went there once to try it out for my husband's and my own birthdays. We were very dissapointed.
    First, the food was not extraordinary. The crabcake appetizers were excellent but the duck dish was too dry, and the steak was not the best I have ever had. For the price, I expected better. Houstonian restaurants such as Ruggle's Grill, Rouge or Perry's Italian kitchen serve as good dishes for much cheaper (I call food extraordinary, even an art, at for example the Everest restaurant in Chicago).
    Second, in such a restaurant I expect perfect service. And all waiters were great, really, except... the one responsible for our table, unfortunately. He was snobbish, would ask a question and instead of listening to our answer would prefer to answer other waiters (I suppose this way emphasizing his leadership position as a head waiter or something), and there was a clear discrepancy of treatment between the "usual" customers, and new ones like us. Result: we won't go back. I am sorry, but when I pay this type of price, I want to be treated like a queen.
    If you have money to waste, it is worth going for the decor, the wine cellar, and people watching (the posh gentry of Houston).

Appetizers $8 - $19
    Entrees $25 - $34
    Extensive wine list, count at least $40 for a bottle.
    That means at least $100 per person if you take wine.

Favorite Dish: Crabcakes

Tony's restaurant at Post Oak, Houston, Texas

Napoli's #5: Napoli's #5 -- Good, Cheap Italian food

by Stargazer1 Written Aug 7, 2006

Napoli's has lunch specials for $3.99 to $5.99, most include salad and garlic bread (the two slices of cheese pizza come with salad but no garlic bread for $3.99). The Beef Cannelloni and Lasagne are very good. The pizzas are great, both thin crust and deep dish.

Favorite Dish: Beef Cannelloni hits the spot, and the salad has a good, light dressing.

Houston Hotels

Embassy Suites Hotel' Houston-Near The Galleria
Homewood Suites By Hilton' Houston Beltway 8, TX
Latest: Jul 15, 2014

Instant Answers: Houston

Comments

Houston Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Houston locals.
Map of Houston