Pappacito's Cantina, Houston

by msbrandysue
    Lively atmosphere
    by msbrandysue
  • lizzytex's Profile Photo

Pappacito's Cantina: Awesome Tex-Mex food!

by lizzytex Updated May 13, 2011

This is one of my favorite Mexican (tex-mex) restaurants - and if you go, make sure you are hungry! The portions are HUGE! It's also a great place to take kids, as it's very noisy and always crowded. They have great margaritas, and the beef fajitas are the BEST!

Favorite Dish: Enchiladas and fajitas ROCK!! In my humble opinion, they also have the best chips and salsa in the city.

• LaceyAdkisson's Profile Photo

Pappasito's Cantina: Best Mexican Food in Houston!

by LaceyAdkisson Written Apr 7, 2009

Great Mexican Food! How I rate a Mexican Food Restaurant is by there chips and salsa. Because its the first thing you get when you sit down, and first impression is everything. Pappasito's put the impress in impression! It was delicious! The chips were light and flaky and the salsa had just enough spice and cilantro to make me have 2 bowls worth! The atmosphere was great too. I sat out on the patio and ordered a nice margarita on the rocks no salt, and it was perfect :) tasted like it had hardly any alcohol but my body said otherwise!
    The wait staff was also very accommodating. The sun kept getting in our eyes and so they would move the umbrella till it was prefect. Then the sun came down more and the waiters then would move umbrellas again, this repeated several times until the sun finally started to set.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish by far was the Fajitas! It came in a metal type dish paced on top of a platform with hot rocks underneath and kept the juices simmering till I was down to my last piece of chicken! I split it with my mother and we were both very full! Might have also been all the chips and salsa we went through before our dinner came!

• Business Travel

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Pappacito's Cantina: Tex Mex

by msbrandysue Updated Mar 29, 2009

After a long hiatas from this restaurant I'm back to being a lover. A lover of the strong margaritas. A lover of the flautas. A lover of the made-in-the-restaurant (in front of the customers) tortillas. A lover of the queso. A lover of the laid back atmosphere...A bit weary of the wait, still. However, I'm gonna keep my original review because it gives an accurate depiction of what your tastes might be.

If you don't like to eat in a loud, busy atmosphere this might make a good happy hour place on a weekday.

Previous review: I'm a bit weary of this place. I personally feel that the prices do not reflect the taste. However, I'm pretty picky. It's just my opinion that Houston's mexican restaurants are no match for Dallas'. However, a lot of people in Houston prefer Pappacito's. I haven't found anything I like here. The margarita's aren't that good. The atmosphere is not that good. Why am I paying extra to sit in a lawn seat?? No waitor has ever given flour tortillas although they make them right in front of you. It just has always been a let down. Anytime I actually want to try something I get disappointed even more. If you want to try it, no one's gonna stop you. But if I were you I'd find something else.

MANY locations throughout Houston so shop around for the one closest to you.

Sun -Thurs: 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
    Fri - Sat: 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I usually just stay with the queso and flautas. Not comparable to other places but I just don't understand what all the hype is about. I can't find anything I enjoy that much.

• Stargazer1's Profile Photo

Pappacito's Cantina: Great Tex-Mex, Pulchritudinous clientele

by Stargazer1 Updated Mar 12, 2007

Interior shot.  Copyright Pappacito's

Really good Tex-Mex at a good price. Portions are huge. The place is always packed. My friend from Calgary met us at this one, and commented that "Pulchritude is inversely proportional to latitude!". Lots of pretty women abound.

Favorite Dish: The fajitas are great. I love the ceviche -- huge bay scallops, shrimp, and fish. Good nachos as well. Good cheese and beef enchiladas (haven't tried the chicken). Oh, and excellent margaritas. We used to go to Happy Hour here often. Again, there's a view, too.

Pappacito's Cantina: Great Fajitas

by Ken_Weaver Written Jun 21, 2003

Favorite Dish: For a typical Tex-Mex dish I recommend the Fajita choice with either beef or chicken. The seasoning are excellent, the tortillas freshly made and hot, accompaniments of their special beans and good rice make this a bargain at about $12.

Pappacito's Cantina: More Pappacitos

Flan

Favorite Dish: Flan- Mexican egg custard with almond cookie shards of tortilla, garnished with fresh fruit.........Menu says $4.35......receipt says $2.95! I would have expected to pay $8 for this beauty.... I ordered this the first time I was here and came back t just to take a picture of it!!

Pappasito's Cantina: Great Tex-Mex Selections

by Ken_Weaver Updated Jun 21, 2003

Me at the Entrance

I have now eaten in this specifice restaurant three times in a week. I'm in Houston working on a project and our team has really liked this place. I have eaten at two other Papacitos in the Houston area during my stay here. The other restaurants served the same great food although the decor of the latter two was a bit more upscale. Service has been great at all places! When I first walked in to this location, it looks like most moderate-to-nice Mexican theme restaurants. As soon as we sat down, we were greeted by Marc, who turned out to be this incredible waiter who knew everything about the food and sold us on the specials even before we looked at the menu.....the specials were the most expensive...$19.95 each.

The service was prompt and the food was superb. I noticed lots of little detail thing like in the middle of the restaurant is this tortilla cooker.....circular in nature....one employee stands there putting the little round balls of dough on a chain track that carries the ball to a plate that flattens it on to a revolving disc.....the disc carries the flattened dough to a blade that peals it off of the disc, down to a revolving cooking discs and then they slide off of that when they are done....the employee puts the fresh, hot tortillas in baskets which the waitstaff take to the tables.

Favorite Dish: Mahi with Acapulco Sauce- Char broiled fish topped with a creamy wine sauce with al dente vegetables( brocolli, tomatoes, peppers) , avocado, shrimp and scallops. Side dish of baked beans, and rice with one of the fresh tortillas...........$19.95

Chicken Breast with Acapulco Sauce- Chicken breast was char broiled and then sliced into strips before the sauce was added. Same accompaniments........$12.50

• jackdewey's Profile Photo

Pappasitos Cantina: Pappasitos Cantina

by jackdewey Written Aug 26, 2002

Pappasitos is part of a chain of restaurants located primarily in Texas and in Georgia.

This particular restaurant is a Mexican restaurant and a good one at that. Their nacho chips are very fresh and their tortillas are made on the spot. The restaurant is quite large.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Fajitas

Pappacito's Cantina: Yet More Pappacitos

by Ken_Weaver Written Jun 21, 2003

Favorite Dish: Tres Leches Cake- Yet another wonderful dessert cake made with three kind of milk. Around $6.00 again and a wonderful finish to a spicy meal

Pappacito's Cantina: More Pappacitos

by Ken_Weaver Written Jun 21, 2003

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Bread Pudding- Topped with icecream, this dessert was just divine! Don't remember the exact price but around $6.

• jtb2inky's Profile Photo

Pappasito's Cantina Restaurant

by jtb2inky Written Aug 24, 2002

Pappasito's Cantina Restaurant
    This is another Houston chain restaurant that will not let you down. It specializes in authentic Mexican food and great margaritas.

Favorite Dish: Margaritas