NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston

1601 NASA Road 1 (281) 244-2100

• pdhharris's Profile Photo

After NASA Tour, head to Kemah for Lunch or Dinner

by pdhharris Written Sep 18, 2012

I concur - if you have a car, it is a much better option to drive to Space Center Houston instead of taking the bus there. After your tour of NASA, I recommend heading down NASA Rd 1 towards the bay (a left turn out of Space Center Houston) and then taking a right at Cty. 146 to head over the massive Kemah bridge. The Kemah Boardwalk is there, with a large variety of restaruants to choose from for lunch along the bay. T-Bone Tom's (BBQ) and Tookies (Burgers) are two great options. Tookie's is before the bridge however.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo

Space Center Houston, of course!

by XenoHumph Updated Feb 18, 2011

NASA-JSC seen from NASA Road 1, SE Houston

If you go to Houston, you have to visit the Space Center! After all, Houston is where NASA-Johnson Space Center is located. That's where the astronauts train and where NASA curates the lunar rocks brought back by the Apollo missions. Space Center Houston is the museum associated with it. Permanent exhibitions are about past and present space programs and the solar system. I particularly enjoyed the "Star ship gallery" and the Moon rock exhibition. there are lots of exhibitions and stuffs for kids.
    Do not miss the little train ride! That's where you go as close as you can to the "real" NASA. They change the train path from time to time. Now (2011), you can choose between 2 tours, one to the old Mission Control room and to the rocket park (including a Saturn V, like the ones that sent astronauts to the Moon), and one to the real size shuttle where the astronauts are training and to the rocket park (be prepared to wait in line on week-ends for these tours).

It is ridiculously expensive: $19.95 per person (kids and seniors have reductions, $16 on line), $5 for parking.
    Space Center is opened 10-5 weekdays. 10-6 weekends.

Note: there is a detailed tour of 4-5 hours of NASA behind the scene with a guide that you can purchase for $85 called "Level 9 tour". It should be reserved in advance.

• Leodapoz's Profile Photo

Private tour of Johnson Space Center

by Leodapoz Written Jul 4, 2009

For the adult or teen with more that a casual interest in the space program, the JSC Level 9 tour is a must-do. These tours are only available if booked in advance and although a little pricey at $85 for each adult (14 or older, no kids allowed), the price includes access to the shows within the JSC. The tour includes 12 passenger shuttle buses that are air conditioned and a nice way to get around during Houston's hot and humid summers. The tour guides are extremely knowledgable of the workings and history of NASA and the JSC. The tour includes a hot lunch in the cafeteria where the astronauts and NASA technicians eat. This is a wonderful tour that gives one a sense of special treatment only previously reserved for to visiting dignitaries. Thrill seekers would be bored but those who can appreciate how much the space program has benefited mankind and has a keen interest in engineering will not be disappointed. Although you will see many items of historical significance, this is not just another tour. The Level 9 tour brings you to intimacy with the Space Program, and you will let feel the intensity of the fraternal bonds between the NASA team in Mission Control and the astronauts in space. My brother Joe has been following the space program since he was a kid. 5 years ago I surprised him with a level 9 tour for his 50 birthday, when he came to visit. Joe still gets excited every time he recounts his experiences and the special treatment those at Mission Control gave him.

• Segolily's Profile Photo

We could have spent more time

by Segolily Written Mar 4, 2009

Historic mission control

I'd read a little bit about how this is for kids and it is cheap exhibits. So we didn't allow much time. However I felt like there was so much to see and do and though we only got a small glimpse what we saw was interesting and worthwhile. We went right in and stood in line for the trolley ride. We waited at least 45 min. We took the one that would take us to the Historic Mission Control. Since we lived through that Apollo era and were watching on TV when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped on the moon, we had to see the place where the history really happened. I'm so glad they've left everything the way it was. Besides re-living those amazing memories it helped to see how far technology has come and how life has moved on. We didn't get off at the rocket garden since we had seen the one at Cape Canaveral. I would also have liked to take the other tour...can't remember now where it went. And then we went to the exhibit hall. There was a life size shuttle cockpit, a model of the space station, a demonstration of life on the shuttle, movies, games, and more that we didn't really explore, as well of course as a gift shop and food court.

I had purchased online, from their website, ahead of time a half price ticket. We bought it in May for an August visit. I know part of the reason I felt like this was a good place to visit was because we didn't pay full price. That helped make it a better value.

• HeidiR's Profile Photo

space centre

by HeidiR Written Sep 6, 2006

Mission control is worth a look however this is the most unorganised place ever. You have to wait for 2 separate coach tours to see everything and you can be stuck waiting for ages. the two tours could very easilybe combined into one especially when they both end in the rocket garden. if you have a choose between only visiting here or kennedy, kennedy wins hands up! The whole centre is sponsered byvariuos different companies

• Is it worth the trip out to NASA?

by Paulckm Written Jun 24, 2006

The Johnson Space Centre is about an hour's drive from downtown Houston, and can get extremely crowded, especially during the school holidays. Is it worth making the trip? Yes and no. The actual visit to the working NASA offices is only about 45 minutes, where they take you to see the astronaut training site with all the mock-ups of the space vehicles (most times no one is there) and the old mission control room. For the time spent queueing, it's not worth much.

• raraavis's Profile Photo

Space ships! Space suits! Space food!

by raraavis Written Jun 12, 2006

Too bad we only had an hour to glance over the activities offered at the Space Center. I would've loved to take the tram tour that takes you inside the Space Center and to the launch pad.

This is very kids friendly as majority of the actitivies are geared toward children and young at heart and space enthusiasts.

If I ever end up visiting Houston again, I'd like to spend a day here.

• Visit NASA

by mandom Written May 17, 2006

Visit NASA space center, I had a wonderful time there. A lot in store if you are a space enthusiasts. Got a ride on their space-age vehicles which kinda "float" on the ground. And also visit the control room where everything happens...

• GUYON's Profile Photo

The NASA

by GUYON Updated Apr 22, 2006

The shuttle

It is impossible to go to Houston without visiting the Space Center.
    To say the truth, the center is mainly made for children.
    There are :
    - two tram tours to visit the Johnson Center beside, with a guide who explains the various space relics
    - two movies on the Space quest
    - an amusing presentation of the life in the space
    - a show : how the center works
    - the astronaut gallery
    We bought also food conditioned to be eaten in space...

Ticket : 22$50 (less 2$ with a coupon)
    Senior : 20$95
    Children : 17$95

Parking : 4$

Next year we visited Cape Canaveral to see the other face.

• Seniors

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Space Center Houston

by Astrobuck Updated Dec 7, 2005

OK...this was very interesting to me....believe it or not, there are actually 2 space centers! So, let me give you a few tips just to help you have a good time; and not get confused and frustrated in the process:

First off, like I said, there are 2 space centers. The first one is run by the government. The other is where all the exhibits are. I accidentally (and purposely) drove into the wrong one thinking they were both the same place. The guard at the gate told me to "proceed to building 110." So I "proceeded" to Building 110 (outside the gate I might add), where I was told I could not enter unless I had a "point of contact." Since I didn't have one, I couldn't talk to HR in person...oh well.

In any case, I drove further down the road and found the space center that had all the fun stuff. It is just past the NASA JSC. The best way to know you are in the right place, is the fact that the front entrance has 2 T-38 planes on display.

Parking is $5 US; and admission is $18.95 (discounted with AAA, Military, or if you work for Southwest Airlines).

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

NASA Center

by el_ruso Written Oct 13, 2005

NASA is located a fair distance SE from downtown between Clear Lake, Dickinson and Pasadena. You can visit of course and learn about the space program, touch the moon rock and see the control center room - a lot smaller than how it appears on TV. It is an interesting site, but be aware that it is geared predominantly to young children.

• Let your wallet defy gravity at NASA

by mjdkvt Updated Sep 5, 2005

This is an extremely overpriced tourist attraction - not necessarily because of the price tag but rather the lack on anything interesting to see. The attraction is no better than years ago, when it was still free, but only now they charge you $17.95 + $5.00 for parking. The mission control and the astronaut training areas are interesting - but the main display area is the pitts.
    Although bored, your wallet will certainly seem a lot lighter at your departure, around every corner an opportunity to get taken arises - prices are more expensive than the concessions at Atlanta Hartsfield airport and that's saying an awful lot.

• MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo

NASA - a must see for tourists and visitors

by MarvintheMartian Written Jan 14, 2005

Rockets!

NASA - well if you're coming to Houston you'll know that this is one of the places you must visit while your here.

It took me 4 months to finally get here and I'm pleased I've now been around the NASA Space Center and taken the Historical Trolley Tour around the original command center which was used to command the first manned mission to the moon.

It's about $16 to visit the center, however if you pay about $19 you get a years membership - useful if you live here and you have friend who may want to visit when they visit you! I think there are also cheaper options for families and if you arrive later in the day.

One thing about the NASA Space Center - my friends at work have mixed feelings on the quality of the center. Some think it's a bit dated, others find the place a bit boring - however I think it's got a lot of interesting exhibits and there's definately hands on actitivies for children.

My only concern for the NASA Space Center is that it really does rely on event which happened 30-40 years ago - I think there is a lot which could be done to make it more up to date and interesting for young and old alike - keeping the history and bringing in more of what's happening now.

• peaceness98's Profile Photo

NASA Space Center

by peaceness98 Written Aug 10, 2004
    inside

Five-story plaza with a full-size fake space shuttle. There's a tram tour that takes you to throughout buildings in the Space Center. You can get a seat in the viewing room of the original Mission Control room and check out full-size mock-ups of the original Apollo rockets.

There's a diner called Zero-G.

Admission: US$ 16.95 Adults; US$12.95 Children 4-11; US$15.95 Seniors over 64; free for Children under 4.

Parking: US$ 4.00

• taryn21's Profile Photo

NASA Johnson Space Centre

by taryn21 Written Apr 8, 2004
    whatever this was.....it was HUGE!!!

Even though I'm not huge into space stuff, I found this quite interesting. You never really grasp how incredibly huge some of the rockets, space crafts are until you see them in person. And we saw the control room....and got to tour through a building where they were in the process of making something. Interesting!!

Instant Answers: Houston