Jefferson Restaurants

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Lamache's Italian: Hidden Italian Gem

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 11, 2012

Delicious Lamache Lasagna.

I know you are probably thinking, you went to the South for Italian? If you read the website intro, you will understand that this is a very traditional recipe laden Italian menu, by real Italians who migrated from Stromboli to Jefferson, TX. We have been there 3 or 4 times, and every time is delicious. I went with the lasagna this time, and it did not disappoint. I would definitely recommend stopping in.

Favorite Dish: Lasagna, or the Shrimp Diavolo.

• Wine Tasting

Jefferson Old Fashion Hamburger Store: Cool Burger Joint

by VeronicaG Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cool Hamburger Joint

UPDATE: We couldn't resist our rumbling stomachs when passing by The Hamburger Store...Mary's homebaked pies were foremost in our thoughts. They were just as tasty as our last stop!

A long line of hungry patrons waited outside the Hamburger Store for lunch. The aroma of those sizzling burgers must have drawn each one of us to its door.

This is a unique, casual eatery (picture 3) that sports dollar bills on its walls and checked cloths on its tables. Down home eatin', to be sure!

A build-a-burger begins at $3.99, which offers all sorts of toppings. My husband and I added french fries to our order, as well.

Since it was Mardi Gras, everyone seemed resigned to a wait of some length, which is good because the meals took a while to be presented. By the time the food arrived, we had no problem devouring every last crumb on our plates!

The crowning glory was pie for dessert--a silky, coconut meringue for me and luscious chocolate meringue for Jim. Mouthwatery goodness baked by a very talented lady named Mary (picture 2). Stop by for the hamburgers, but definitely order pie for dessert...you won't regret it.

• Seniors

• Austin Street Bistro: Awesome Food!

by KellyFurn2 Written Sep 2, 2009

Wonderful food. The lady who owns the resteraunt treats you like your part of her family. She is a European Pastry Chef. If you want first class food and service this is it. There are pastries, sandwiches, homemade bread, soups, salads, fritatas, you name it.

Favorite Dish: Fritata!

• Business Travel

• annabear08's Profile Photo

Lamaches: Yummy Italian Bread

by annabear08 Written Jan 4, 2009

Since I am not fully on solid foods yet, Mommy brought my own special Italian meal with her, created by a chef at Gerber. I was a very good little girl, and did not make alot of noise, as this restaurant was definitely for older people. They did have a high chair for me, although the teenage maitre'd wanted to seat us in the smoking section. My daddy let him know that this was not going to happen on his watch, and we were able to sit without having the smoke ruin our dinner. When I was done with my mixed vegetables, Mommy did give me a piece of the warm bread that was on the table, and I was able to eat a few bites of it, but I gummed even more!

I can not wait until I get teeth, and then I will want to go back here and eat some more of tha yummy food.

Picture #1 - Being good at Lamache's
    Picture #2 - Eating the yummy bread

• Luxury Travel

• MommaCarroll's Profile Photo

Lamache's: Hidden Italian Gem

by MommaCarroll Updated Jan 4, 2009

60th Birthday Tiramisu

Lamache Italian Restaurant in Jefferson, Texas, is a major culinary treat! Their Italian food, and especially the seafood is outstanding, good sized portions, presented beautifully in good atmosphere. The prices are good for the quality and amount. The service staff is friendly, soft-spoken, and love to laugh. The salad house dressing is delicious and the greens are fresh and diverse. Hot bread with Italian dipping sauce is provided with the salads. The desserts are wonderful and include many Italian favorites.
    The restaurant currently has a smoking section which is the only drawback for non-smokers. Changes in smoking rules for the City of Jefferson, TX. are coming, but too slowly. All eating establishments should be non-smoking for health reasons and to respect others. Other than this one drawback, which is not the fault of the restaurant, the Lamache Italian Restaurant is one not to miss when visiting the quaint antique town of Jefferson, TX!

Favorite Dish: I have been several times, and did not have a bad meal yet!

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• House of Pies: Service a Little Less than Friendly

by dwch Written Dec 15, 2008

I live in Jefferson and had my Parents visiting from Missouri. My Mother was craving a pie so we decided to try "House of Pies". My Mother went in by herself and after about ten minutes came out with nothing in hand. My Mother was very upset and said the lady behind the counter told her she could not purchase the whole buttermilk pie. Even though they have a price for a whole pie listed. The lady insisted on only selling it by the slice. This could have been because they charge more per slice than by the whole pie. The reason the lady behind the counter gave to my Mother was that it was the only buttermilk pie onhand for the day. Keep in mind it was already about 3:30 or so in the afternoon, raining, and no one on the streets. And one more thing, my Mother was the only customer in the place and it took a few minutes for her to even be noticed.
    This was very disapointing since Jefferson thrives on tourism. Sorry to say that we will not be trying the "House of Pies" in the future.

Favorite Dish: Don't know.

The House of Pies: Pies, Pies, Pies

by VeronicaG Updated May 11, 2008

House of Pies

UPDATED REVIEW: Someone always points us to The House of Pies when we ask for a recommendation for lunch or dessert. This time we stopped by!

The House of Pies not only serves desserts, but also features it's specialty corn bread sandwich, chicken dumplings and salads. A mother and daughter team are said to cook up some real good food.

Because of the highlighted Historic House Tour and battle re-enactment, the town was crowded with people. I think most of them were waiting in line to be seated in this very dining room when we entered the restaurant--it was packed!

We conversed with other people in line and eventually were led to our table. After ordering we had to be patient for a while longer, until our small broccoli salad ($3.95), slice of corn bread ($1.00) and ice cold raspberry tea ($1.50) arrived. Our simple meal was ended with Buttermilk pie for me and Pecan pie for Jim...and they were great pies! I'm sorry to say the delivery time seemed way too long. But...they were very busy this day!

The House of Pies also has a take out service, but this seemed to require a very long wait, also. A couple who were ahead of us in line used this means to order and we were served before them....however, give this restaurant a chance because MANY people find it a good place to eat.

The Bakery: Oft Suggested Restaurant

by VeronicaG Updated May 8, 2008

Although this popular place is called The Bakery, you can find more here than just pastry! Homemade breads and a quaint little gift shop featuring specialty foods like Pecan Pie in a Jar draw customers in every day for breakfast, lunch or for dinner on Saturday evenings.

Each time we've visited Jefferson, someone recommends this restaurant and yet we've never eaten a meal here. Next time it's just got to happen! I'm adding this tip for anyone who may be traveling to this town--I expect to have a full-pledged description after our next visit.

The Bakery is open from 7am-4pm daily; until 8 pm on Saturdays for dinner.

Stillwater Inn: Fine Dining in a Historic Town

by VeronicaG Updated May 7, 2008

Our anniversary dinner--Feb. '08

UPDATE: My husband was celebrating a birthday on our most recent trip to Jefferson, so we made a return visit to this lovely restaurant.

I ordered a luscious Beef Tenderloin which came with Carrot Souffle, Squash Medley and Au Gratin Potatoes--absolutely delicious! A chocolate mousse and meringue dessert complete with a glowing birthday candle ended our meal...it was light and velvety (pic #3).

When we inquired as to the best place to celebrate our anniversary, we were directed to Stillwater Inn. It did not disappoint!

This 1890's Victorian Inn is located a short distance from town center, in a quiet part of town. The restaurant was an inviting place to celebrate our special occasion. Bright red walls greeted us as we were escorted to our table.

We shared a small, nicely traditionally furnished dining area with two other couples. There were two additional dining rooms, as well. We were happy to be seated in the smaller room where we had a quiet place to enjoy each other's company!

To begin our meal, Jim and I ordered the Stillwater Salad ($4.95), which came with a crusty roll. For entrees, I chose Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Dijon cream sauce and fresh mushrooms ($18.95), while Jim selected Shrimp Scampi, sauteed with butter and accompanied by lump crabmeat ($18.95).

A warm apple tart with vanilla ice cream completed my meal. A cream brulee cheesecake was Jim's choice for dessert. Each course of our meal was a delight!

The service was perfect, the atmosphere romantic and the meal very pleasing. Stillwater Inn serves dinner daily Tuesday-Saturday beginning at 6pm.

Auntie Skinner's Riverboat Club: Downtown Eatery and Live Music

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 7, 2008

When I was gathering information on our trip to Jefferson, I found Auntie Skinner's Riverboat Club on the internet. Although we didn't make the time to stop here, it certainly was busy over Mardi Gras weekend.

Someone told us this was known as a favorite stop of the 'motorcycle' crowd--there were plenty there in the parade!!

Their menu ranges from hamburgers with all sorts of toppings, to club sandwiches, chicken or beef fajitas, mostly chicken entrees, soups and several salads such as chicken Caesar salad, fried shrimp salad, grilled chicken salad and an assortment of pies. After scanning the menu, their meals seemed moderately priced.

They feature live entertainment in the evenings and when we visited over Mardi Gras, they were charging a $10 cover charge per person. To see their list of bands go to the website below.

• Music

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Jefferson Old-Fashioned Hamburger Store: Old-Fashioned Hamburgers

by keeweechic Updated May 17, 2003

The Jefferson Old-Fashioned Hamburger Store is well known in Jefferson for its ’best in Texas’ homemade pies and gourmet chopped sirloin hamburgers. The hamburger I understand was very good and so was the spicy wedges but I chose to have the homemade peach pie and ice cream which was only one of about 5 fresh homemade pies. It was pretty delicious.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

The Bakery

by keeweechic Updated May 17, 2003

The Bakery is housed in a historic delivery stable in the downtown area. We stopped in for a late breakfast. I had the basket of assorted homemade toasted breads which included jalepeno, bacon cracked pepper cheese, raisen and brown breads. Very delicious especially the bacon cracked pepper. The pancake sandwich was also apparently good (and I did have a sample). Melt in the mouth buttermilk pancakes served with scrambled eggs and bacon and of course, maple syrup. The assorted pastries and sinful brownies in the cabinets also looked good. The Bakery is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Definitely worth trying.

Instant Answers: Jefferson

Comments

Jefferson Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jefferson restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jefferson sightseeing.