Jefferson Playhouse, Jefferson

1 Reviews

Cnr Market and Henderson Sts

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • Jefferson Playhouse
    by keeweechic
  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Jefferson Playhouse

    by keeweechic Updated May 17, 2003

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Jefferson Playhouse and Ruth Lester House (formerly the Hebrew Sinai Synagogue) was built around 1860 as a private residence and after several changes in ownership, it was purchased in 1869 for the Sisters of Charity for a convent, hospital and school called St. Mary's.

    The Hebrew Sinai Congregation took over in 1875 and built the adjoining building, now called Jefferson Playhouse, as their synagogue. Although basically unchanged, this structure is now used each Pilgrimage to present a play 'The Diamond Bessie Murder Trial'.

    .

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Jefferson

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

37 travelers online now

Comments

View all Jefferson hotels