Katy Travel Guide

• Conductor maniquin inside the ticket window
    Conductor maniquin inside the ticket...
    by DEBBBEDB
    Display in the Visitor's Center
    by DEBBBEDB
    Landing in Houston
    by grandmaR

Katy Things to Do

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 8, 2015

This is the old RR depot which the city of Katy has preserved. It is actually called "City of Katy Railroad Park"
    The MKT (Missouri-Kansas-Texas) Railroad Company (the Katy Railroad) was the way many visitors came to Texas. It was operating here by 1894. The Depot was constructed in 1898 and passenger service continued until 1957. The Depot was moved in 1979 to the Katy City Park. It wa moved to he current location in 2005

There was also a caboose which was moved at the same time in 2005, but the Visitor's Center was in the depot. The lady who was in charge showed us around the depot and also we got a map of Katy. Katy is in three different counties so determining where it actually IS, is confusing.

Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
    Saturday, 10:00 – 2:00

Conductor maniquin inside the ticket window Map of Katy on the wall Display in the Visitor's Center Western Union Telegram Sign on the Depot Rail and ties
    • Trains

Katy Hotels

Katy Restaurants

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 8, 2015

We met my parents for dinner at Carino's. Service was good and the food was good.

Favorite Dish: My youngest one had the children's menu and a crayons (she had spaghetti and a meatball - probably because they didn't actually have Mac and cheese), My middle one had the gluten free menu (she had the Italian ribs) and the rest of us had the regular adult menus. All of us except the youngest had soup or salad first, so she ate the bread which her sister couldn't eat. Her sister had the garden salad.

Italian BBQ ribs - gluten free Crayons and the child's menu Youngest ones's spaghetti son and husband Sign on the street

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 8, 2015

We were out driving around to let my son get some of his required hours to get his license. It was lunchtime and he likes to eat here. So we stopped here for lunch.

You take a Sharpies® and mark up the pre-printed menus on sandwich bags.

One - select a sandwich from one of 10 categories,
    Two - choose the type of bread, size, cheese, spreads, and vegetables.
    You can also choose drinks and sides.

Three - Put your name on the bag. Handed it in and pay.

Then when the sandwiches were done, they called our names and we got our lunch in our bag.

Favorite Dish: I like the tuna or chicken

One and Two and posters Menu on the wall Front of the store Getting drinks (person in front moved) Bag to mark your choices

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 8, 2015

We picked this place for my mother to take the whole family out for dinner - everyone likes fish and fish is usually one of the things that my daughter who can't eat gluten can eat. They were quite busy and did not take our order for awhile. We had to ask for bread to be put on the table.

Favorite Dish: I had the fried stuff shrimp which was really good. My gluten allergic daughter picked one of the fresh fish selections from the menu board and she asked for broccoli with it instead of fries as if they fry the fries in the same deep fryer that they fry breaded items in, it makes her sick. She does like broccoli and they gave her a big stalk of it. My other non-gluten allergic daughter had mac and cheese

Fish hanging from the ceiling Front of the menu Inside the restaurant My daughter with her mac and cheese Bread, which we had to ask for

Katy Shopping

• Emile72's Profile Photo

by Emile72 Updated Apr 7, 2005

Close to Houston (approx. 25 miles west) is the Katy Mills factory outlet. If you are familiar with the factory outlets, this is a typical example of it. Lots of shops with lots of brands with lots of cheap prices. Shop till you drop.

What to buy: For Europeans, Jeans are considerably cheaper than in our home countries.

Instant Answers: Katy

Comments

Katy Travel Guide
Map of Katy