McKinney Shopping

Have fun at the candy store!
    by saraheg77

Most Recent Shopping in McKinney

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

The Cup Filler: Thy Cup Runneth Over

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Cup Filler is a Christian Bookstore located on the square in old town McKinney. It is a rather small store, but has a very good variety of items, with a very good selection of Bibles. This particular bookstore does not have a large selection to choose from, but is willing to order what you need. It also has a large selection of gift items, which is good for all the tourists coming through town.

What to buy: Bibles and religious gifts.

• Religious Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Mom and Popcorn Company: A FUN Candy & Popcorn Store!!

by saraheg77 Written Jan 10, 2009

I live in Allen, which is right next to McKinney and when my friend was coming to visit with her 3-yr-old, I started looking for fun things to do with kids. I found this store through my internet research and was so glad I did!!

This store has a full range of candies and interesting and kinda old-fashioned gift items, but their specialty is the wide variety of specialty flavored popcorn. There are 16 different savory flavors (plus they are trying out new ones all the time), 14 sweet flavors, and some other sweet flavors that have extra stuff like cashews or marshmallow.

OH! And they also had the original Dublin Dr. Pepper for sale (in a glass bottle and made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar). My husband was very excited about that. :)

What to buy: My husband loves the 'hot cheese' flavor, which is spicy. My favorite is white cheddar and we both like the salt & vinegar and several others. While you are there, they will give you a sample of any flavor you would like to try!

My dad really likes the caramel with pecans! And for Christmas, I gave my cousins a snack bag of cornfetti, which is a mix of all the sweet flavors. They all loved it!

You can get your favorite flavor of popcorn in a couple of different tins with your favorite sports team on it.

What to pay: The smallest snack bag of original is $1.25 and the other savory flavors are $1.65. The sweet flavors are $2.25 and then the additional sizes are small, meduim, large and extra large. The snack size is a nice size and more than I could eat for one snack.

Have fun at the candy store!

Clyde's On The Square: Stop by for antiques or collectibles

by VeronicaG Updated Dec 15, 2008

On a recent visit to McKinney, much to our surprise we saw that Clyde's was gone, replaced by UPTOWN, a home decor store. See new tip on this....

Clyde's seemed to have a nice mixture of antiques and collectibles. The store stretched on and on as we looked for favorite items on two levels. Although we didn't buy anything at Clyde's it seems it would be a great place to add to one's vintage collection of kitchen items.

If you aren't interested in antiques, stop by anyway, because at the rear of the store is a display of antique and vintage hand cranked ice cream machines. This is part of a large collection noted in the Guiness Book of Records and once owned by a Dr. Wilson who donated it to the owner of this store.

Clyde told us that this was how the idea originated to hold a homemade ice cream contest each August. He encouraged us to return for this event, saying it was alot of fun and tasty besides!

Store hours are Mn.-Sat. 10am-5pm; Sun. 1pm-5pm

Clyde's

Lone Star Specialty: Distinctive Artwork and Gifts

by VeronicaG Updated Mar 5, 2008

We were taken completely by surprise to see colorful Chihuly-type glass creations at this shop. We had admired these large, fluted glass pieces at the *Chihuly Glass and Garden show at Pittsburgh's Phipps Conservatory. After glimpsing those prices, we never expected to see anything affordable.

The store connected with artists who created similar glass art and are marketing their pieces. My husband is drawn to these beautiful glass creations, so I'm sure we'll be traveling back to McKinney to check on the inventory. They aren't authentic Chihulys, but "in the style" of...

Other glass/ceramic art that is displayed throughout the store has been obtained at artisan shows or brought in by the artists themselves.

FYI: * Dale Chihuly is an artist who has expanded glass art beyond what was once the norm, creating huge sculptures and unique pieces that are museum quality environmental art.

Colorful glass art

Alternate Furnishings: Antique Doors, Shutters and Furniture

by VeronicaG Updated Mar 5, 2008

If you are attracted to unique decor for your home, stop by Alternate Furnishings. We discovered beautifully carved doors and shutters from India crafted during the Colonial Period, as well as, small wood cabinets with glass doors and other architectural trim.

Objects such as columns, windows, mantels, balconies, light fixtures and oil paintings are found and brought back from Mexico, Guatemala, Morocco, Europe and Asia. There's a great mix of things here!

It was fascinating peeking into all the corners of this shop! Some of the pieces were huge and would require delivery, but others would fit nicely into a roomy car trunk. We found an interesting cabinet that rode home with me in the passenger seat because our trunk already had something in it.

This shop will take layaways, like most antique shops. Hour are Mon.-Sat. 10am-5:00 pm or 5:30 pm, Sundays sometimes.

Carved Wooden Doors Alternative Furnishings

Homepieces: Architectural and Uncommon Objects for the Home

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 5, 2008

This charming curved window caught our attention as we entered Homepieces. We also found lovely silvered pieces, vintage items for the vanity, delicate glassware, white painted furniture, gracefully aged mirrors and crystal, plus architectural pieces from historic buildings.

A number of interesting items caught my eye--the tarnished silver handmirror, perfume bottles rimmed in silver, old wavy glass pieces (picture 2). They were arranged so beautifully atop a lacy crocheted table topper or in pleasing vignettes throughout the small store. It was surprising how many items filled this modest space.

We'll definitely have to visit this shop again in the near future.

Homepieces

Chase Hall: The Unexpected in Art, Antiques and Home Decor

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

The first detail one notices when entering Chase Hall antiques, is the aged advertisement painted on what was once the outside wall of the building next door. A nice homey touch to this attractive antique shop!

Since I love country antiques, this old cupboard (in Hoosier style) called me over for a look see. However, we weren't in the purchasing mood for something this large, so we continued to browse.

You'll find painted furniture in warm, faded hues, vintage portraits, old signs, clothing, crystal chandeliers and European and American country pieces. There is quite a bit to peruse, so be sure not to hurry out the door because owners, Terry and Lissa Rogers do a nice job of collecting.

Storefront--Chase Hall

MorningStar Treasures: Antiques and Collectibles

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

MorningStar Treasures seemed to ramble on forever, offering all sorts of enticing items. I especially found the architecture appealing--from the second floor you can really scout out that particular find!

Vintage kitchenware, delicate linens, old glassware and China, countrystyle furniture, mirrors, clothing, electrified oil lamps, pottery and many other things for your home. I am always looking for vintage juice glasses and kitchen utensils, old dish towels and assorted Fiesta ware pieces, so a shop with such an extensive inventory always grabs my attention!

If you are traveling to McKinney be sure to visit Debbie and Gerry Wright's MorningStar Treasures. Hours are daily from 10am-5pm; Sun. 11am-5pm.

MorningStar Treasures

Fabulous Finds: Antiques and Decor

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

Fabulous Finds lives up to its name--just look at this beautiful hand painted screen. This antique shop offers handpainted furniture, vintage and antique pieces, crystal embellished accent lamps, oil paintings, as well as, home decor items. It's obvious the items within these walls are chosen carefully.

Surrounding McKinney's Town Square is a wonderful collection of shops and restaurants. An entire afternoon can be spent dashing in and out of these treasure troves! Fabulous Finds sits on a street that radiates out from this prime location, so is easy to find. I love its name--it describes it perfectly!

Donna Carpenter and her husband, Jeff, are the proprietors of this shop. Stop by during these hours: Mon.-Sat. 10:30am-5:00pm; Sun. 12:30pm-5:00 pm.

What to buy: antiques, home decor items

Fabulous Finds

Ambrosia: Vintage Vogue

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

Ambrosia lives up to its name beautifully, you'll find a little of this and a little of that, all combining to create a very lovely store.

Once inside you'll discover fragrant soaps and body lotions, scented candles, glamorous ladies hats, wonderful lamps, sculptures, women's clothing and a baby boutique plus unique old world decorative accessories for the home.

Ambrosia is the sort of shop that ladies can spend lots of time sampling colognes or lotions, trying on stunning hats and making up that 'wish list' for unique decorative pieces. If you're traveling through McKinney, make a point to stop at this shop.

What to pay: a little to a lot

A very pretty shop! Ambrosia

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Gallery: Home Decor To Adore!

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

The Gallery is housed in the old First National Bank Building (1869), so has fine detailed moulding and remnants of marble throughout its two levels.

Pretty, pretty things have been gathered into this shop! Striking wall art in iron, decorative pieces for the table, candles, framed wall pictures, ceramics, oil paintings, lovely lamps with fringing or beading on the shades, unique carved pieces, accessories, antiques, a children's boutique and much, much more. You will find great items that will contribute to making your home a showplace.

I discovered a metal sculpture here that was priced lower than I had seen it elsewhere, so I'll be inclined to visit the Gallery the next time we travel to McKinney,too.

It was interesting to hear that the woman who owns the shop lives in a community near our home, so we had much to discuss about the area and how much we are enjoying our new homestate.

What to buy: Lovely home decor

What to pay: Moderate to pricey

The Gallery

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Antique Company Mall: So much to see here!

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

The Antique Company Mall had two floors of wonderful antiques and collectibles. This homey looking cupboard caught my eye as we browsed through the store.

Just about anything can be found here it seems--vintage photographs, quilts, period furniture, fiestaware, glassware, crystal, silver pieces, pottery, old linens and clothing...there are just too many items to list.

This is said to be the largest antique store in McKinney, with 150 dealers in 25,000 square feet of space. They also buy antiques from individuals.

A store within this store, Texas Country Store, provides Texas style gourmet foods and gifts.

Store hours are Mon.-Sat. 10am-5:30 pm; Sun. 11am-5pm.

The Antique Company Mall

The Antique Collection: Antiques For Every Day

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

When we first entered The Antique Collection, we saw this lovely old iron bed frillied up with a red-print coverlet and ruffled pillows--it definitely gave us the impetus to move further into the shop to see what else was on hand.

I was excited to find a vintage sweetheart pillow to add to my collectibles. I'm attracted to old celluloid vanity items, vintage ladies gloves, old perfume bottles, etc. so this would fit nicely along with these collectibles. I envisioned just the right spot for this novel item (see pic #2) and I paid a mere $5 for my newest purchase.

Old door panels, framed wall pictures, period furniture, jewelry and many other beautiful antiques and collectibles can be found here.

What to buy: Lovely vintage and antique items

What to pay: Only $5

The Antique Collection See the heart-shaped pillow??

The Design Collection: Design Decor and More

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

One of the first shops we encountered was The Design Collection--how could we not want to see more once we spied the elegant statue in the vine covered bower?

The Design Collection seems an inspirational source for creating a distinctive home or finding an absolutely perfect gift for family or friends.

As you move through the aisles, you'll find comfy sofas and chairs, bedroom furniture, room dividers, carved pedestals, richly woven fabric swatches, statues, unique lamps, pretty jewelry, colorful ceramics, etched glassware, garden ornaments and intricately woven rugs.

Store manager, Linda, made sure we received a brochure listing all of McKinney's shops, restaurants, galleries and points of interest once she realized we were visitors.

She also informed us of upcoming events to which we could look forward. We thought her friendliness and desire to help exemplary!

What to pay: moderate to pricey

Design Decor and More

• btex's Profile Photo

Antique Company Mall: antiques

by btex Updated Jan 11, 2003

Downtown McKinney is loaded with antique shops. The one that I seem to return to is Antique Company Mall. It's in another old downtown building and is pretty big. I bought a nice backgammon set there for 8 bucks. But, I don't really know anything about antiques...so there are plenty of shops to choose from if this one doesn't float your boat.
    more shops: http://www.discoverourtown.com/TownPage.php?Town=345

antique shops

Instant Answers: McKinney

Comments

McKinney Shopping

Reviews and photos of McKinney shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for McKinney sightseeing.