New Braunfels Restaurants

Chinese or Mexican?
    McAdoo's Seafood

Most Recent Restaurants in New Braunfels

• Basaic's Profile Photo

China Kitchen/Taqueria Guadalajara: Mexican or Chinese?

by Basaic Written Jul 18, 2013

If you are in the mood for Chinese or for Mexican these two restaurants are right next to each other and are convenient to the interstate. I opted for the Chinese and enjoyed my Curry Chicken but also stuck my head in the door at the Mexican place and it smelled good. The Chinese place opens at 11 AM.

Chinese or Mexican?

Myron's Steak House: Good Steak

by Basaic Written Jul 18, 2013

I stopped here because I had an Uncle Myron. Myron's in San Antonio won an award as the best steakhouse in San Antonio in 2012, and this is the sister to that restaurant. I was not that hungry and just stopped for something light; I opted for the French Onion Soup which was very good. Dinner starts at 5 PM and the bar opens at 4 PM. Reservations are recommended. Dress is semi-formal but I don't think they would turn you away in jeans. The steaks get fairly expensive. Good if you have an expense account.

Myron's Steak House
    • Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

The Grist Mill Restaurant - Gruene: History With Your Food

by Basaic Written Jul 13, 2013

In 1977, a restaurant was opened in a 133 year-old cotton gin behind the historic Gruene Hall. The menu includes steaks, chicken, seafood, burgers and salads. Also known for good desserts for those with a sweet tooth. Live entertainment in the garden bar on weekends from the early spring to late fall. Hours are 11 AM to 9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 10 PM on Friday and Saturday. They are open 1 hour later each day during the summer.

Favorite Dish: Try the Bronze Catfish (Cajun Spices).

The Grist Mill Restaurant - Gruene Inside The Grist Mill Restaurant - Gruene The Grist Mill Restaurant - Gruene
    • Music

McAdoo's Seafood: Great New Orleans Seafood

by Basaic Written Jul 13, 2013

$21 as of April 2012. In 1914, William C. McAdoo (then Secretary of the Treasury) built the first federal post office in New Braunfels. Today, the building has been transformed into a very nice restaurant serving great New Orleans-style seafood. Some of the original items from the post office have been retained. Full bar and a good selection of wines. They even sometimes have New Orleans Jazz in the courtyard. Hours are 11 AM to 9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 11:30 PM Friday and Saturday. There is a bar here too.

Favorite Dish: My gumbo and crawfish and shrimp etouffee was quite good and tasted authentic.

McAdoo's Seafood
    • Business Travel

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

The Gristmill: Enjoy a meal at The Gristmill

by 807Wheaton Updated Apr 4, 2011

When we were in Fredericksburg, we were given the tip to stop at the Gristmill in New Braunfels for a meal. We put the name in our Tom Tom and arrived there with no problem.
    The outside looks like a falling apart building, but inside is quite different. Many of the windows and doors are open and there is a lot of space for eating outside. There were 3 fireplaces that were being used which really "warmed" things up inside. We asked for a seat with the best view and were seated by a window that overlooked the Guadalupe River.
    It was really beautiful. The food was great. Our server was very attentive and did a good job.

Favorite Dish: We both had the 8 ounce bacon wrapped beef filet. This comes with a salad and we had a choice of several sides. We each got something different so we were able to have a variety. I got the original round cut fries and my husband got the Gruene beans.
    This was defnitely our great steak dinner during our visit to Texas. It almost melted in our mouths.

Interior of The Gristmill Restaurant View of the Guadalupe River from our table Outside dining overlooking the Gualupe River Back view of The Gristmill Restaurant Front entrance to The Gristmill Restaurant
    • Seniors

• Friesenhaus German Restaurant, New Branfels, Tx: Not happy!!!

by Burgessjane Written Nov 26, 2009

I had the saurbraten and it was fair. We were orderiing off the dinner menu, as that was all they had being that it was a holiday. When we asked for bread she said that it was only serv ed at night with dinner, which is what we were ordering. She charged me $2.50 for a small piece of bread with some kind of cheese dip. My noodles were very plain and I asked for some extra gravy for them. they charged me 3.50 for that!!! My dinner was $ 16.99 plus beer and tea, and by they time they padded my bill, it turned out to be $31.00. Had I kknown that I would have gone to a steak house. I vented my feelings to the waitress and my daughter did to the owner. She told him that the restaurant should have been full for a holiday when most restaurants were closed and there were very few people in there.
    ?We were there at noon.

Favorite Dish: I don't know. I didn't like what I had, and will not go back to try anything else.

Friesenhaus: Skip Oma's Haus for Friesenhaus

by klasher Written Apr 27, 2008

This restaurant offers a wide variety of authentic German dishes, bakery products and desserts. German beers on draft are served out of the correct glasses and the boot game can be played among friends for $18. A polka band was playing when we arrived which further added to the ambiance. An old woman tore up the dance floor with her walker dresses in a traditional German dress. I suspect she is a regular. The "beer garden" is basically just a covered patio facing the parking lot-and you can't hear the music from the patio.

Favorite Dish: Classic Weiner-Art and potatoe pancakes with applesauce.

Prost! Dancing with the girls
    • Beer Tasting

Union Street Station: Great Breakfast Spot right by the Comal Tube chute

by klasher Written Jul 10, 2007

Cute railroad themed restaurant right by Schlitterbahn and the Tube Chute. Around 50 different types of omlettes, large pancakes and efficient staff. Luch offerings include a large selection of sandwiches and home cookin' meals.

Huisache: Eclectic Cafe

by klasher Updated Mar 8, 2007

Walking into this cozy restaurant one feels entirely at home. It is a perfect "Ladies who lunch" spot as well as a romantic affordable place for dinner. Fabulous salads and delicios sandwiches are served up for lunch. The wine list is extensive and they have a great beer selection. Can't wait to try this place out for dinner!

UPDATE: I have since eaten dinner twice at my new favorite restaraunt! I had the ribeye one evening and it was perfectly cooked-succulent! My second dinner was the pecan crusted pork chops with Jack Daniel's dipping sauce-HEAVEN!! It was such an incredible flavor, the chops with the dipping sauce, definately the best pork chop dinner I have ever had.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Naegelin's: Oldest Commercial Bakery in Texas

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 17, 2007

While we were at the Sophienburg Museum, one of the docents suggested that we stop by Naegelin's Bakery for a taste of the divine.

Naegelin's is said to be the oldest commercial bakery in Texas (1868). The minute we walked through the door, an aromatic mixture of cinnamon and sugar regaled our nostrils and we were open to just about anything...like a sweet German pretzel. Umm, it was flaky and cinnamony with a sugar glaze over it.

A number of people were lined up at the bakery case, selecting a favorite confection. The strudel is said to be 'heavenly', but it was way too big for us and they couldn't lop off an individual piece.

If San Antonio is your destination, take a sidetrip to visit New Braunfels and this delectable bakery!

Favorite Dish: Scrumptious confections!

A Sweet Germany Pretzel at Naegelin's The Yummy Bakery Case

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Pat's Place: Home Cooked Meals

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 14, 2007

We were directed to Pat's Place when we first arrived in New Braunfels. It seemed to be the only restaurant opened at the time.

If you're looking for a home cooked meal with no frills, Pat's Place is for you. It's where the locals apparently stop by for lunch when they're out and about. I was a little disappointed that they didn't bake their own pies and my husband said the coffee wasn't very good. However, the chicken fried steak sandwich was pretty decent and moderately priced ($4.85).

Pat's Place has been operating since 1977. A circular bar takes up a good bit of the dining room, but there are additional dining areas, as well.

Oma's Haus: German Fare

by klasher Updated Nov 24, 2006

When you enter this restaraunt, you are told "15 minute wait' even if there are tables available. This allows you so wander through their gift shop and be tempted by their many trinkets and delectable goods. The ambiance in the restaraunt is standard issue dining, nothing fancy or European. Pretty good beer selection.

Favorite Dish: Weinerschitzal and the potato pancakes! Definately comparable to Schitzal in Germany.

• Devine Cafe: Devine Cafe

by depnomore Written Jan 28, 2006

Historical building, appetizers soon to add more food items, Marvin and staff are friendly, lots of wines to sample. Entertainment Thur-Sat in evening. Oh, and they also carry some beers. Lots of finished hardwood decor, but casual. You can actually carry on a conversation, at least until the entertainment starts!

Favorite Dish: I really enjoy the green peppercorn pate or greek olives. I have found new wines to enjoy because the staff is so helpful.

• Huisache: Huisache

by depnomore Written Jan 28, 2006

Cool place, casual, wine bar only, place to eat outside, area for more formal or less formal dining.

Mixture of food is very interesting, lunch (sandwiches/salads/small dinner entrees or dinners (full sized). Very tasty.

Favorite Dish: All have been great!

• Myron's: Myron's

by depnomore Written Jan 28, 2006

Waitstaff are great and friendly. Simple but artistic decor, you can either dress up or wear nice jeans. Eat in the bar or in dining room. Fine dining.
    A little pricey but worth it in my opinion. Consistent.

Favorite Dish: My favs are escargot, blackened tuna appetizer (rare), steaks and port chops are huge, wonderful blue cheese dressing. House merlot is currently Fourteen Hands-Washington State, and it's awesome!

Instant Answers: New Braunfels

Comments

New Braunfels Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Braunfels restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Braunfels sightseeing.

View all New Braunfels hotels