South Main Depot
This was the baggage house for the T & P Depot. It has now turned into a restaurant (The Depot) with homestyle meals and is very popular.
Displayed within the restaurant however are railroad memorabilia which still allows the old feel of the depot.
R F Scott Building
Rufus Fenner Scott had this gothic style building commissioned and built in 1917 to house the Burton-Peel Dry Goods store. The business was later bought by a former employer and operated under his name, Arthur Caddell. At one time Sears also was housed in the building. Its now subdivided and has various business but the building is still stands out with its gargoyles and cut stone.
Eiffel Tower - Texas Style
I was looking for a view of this from off in the distance, thinking I would see it long before I was upon it. Not quite.. despite the larger than life photos you see, it only stands 65 feet tall. The steel Stetson hat was added in 1998 and measures 4 1/2 feet high with a brim 10 feet wide. It was built in 1995 by the local iron worker's union and was once said to be the "Second Largest Eiffel Tower in the Second Largest Paris." That title was superceded in 1999 by a 540-foot copy in Las Vegas.
The tower is right next to the Love Civic Centre and is free to visit anytime.
The Lightfoot-Coleman House
Born in Alabama, Henry William Lightfoot was a confederate veteran of Forrests cavalry and came to Paris in 1872. He was a law partner of Sam Bell Maxy and later married Maxys adopted daughter Dora. They built this house across the street from the Maxey home. Lightfoot was later to come State Senator and Chief Justice of the 5th court of Civil Appeals and died while traveling in Alaska in 1901. The house was later sold to the Rodgers Coleman family who oversaw the restoration of the house in the 1950s. The house has been recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark.
Jesus With His Boots On
One of the most known monuments in the cemetery is the Babcock monument which stands in the shadow of a big old. This is a 12 ft statue of "Jesus" with a Texas touch. "Jesus" is wearing his cowboy boots.
Love Civic Center
This multipurpose center was built to be a multipurpose venue for a variety of activities and events for the residents of Paris. It was named after Mrs Malone Hughes Love who made a generous donation in honour of her husband J.A. Love. There is an exhibit hall which seats up to 1,400, 6 individual meeting rooms with moveable walls, banquet facilities and concession areas and a full catering kitchen.
First United Methodist Church
This church was built after the fire of Paris in the early 1920s. It is a three-story, steel frame structure which introduces both Mediterranean and Classic Revival architectural styles. There is a sanctuary housed under a 40-ft. high octagonal, rotunda dome. Throughout the church are some unique period features which include intricate decorative paintings and stencil work . The church was placed on the National Historic Register in 1983.
There are over 80 churches in the Paris area
Lamar County Courthouse
The original courthouse was more elaborate than the current but was destroyed by fire in 1896. With marble and granite cleaned from the burned site, the new courthouse in Classical Revival and Romanesque style was built in 1917. The pink granite comes from the same quarry as that used in the State Capital.
This is an old cemetery, operating since 1866 and has more than 40,000 people buried here including many early Texas patriots. There are some very decorative and unusual headstones and monuments scattered about.
The Scott-Roden Mansion
This mansion was built between 1908 and 1910 for Rufus Scott Sr who was a prominent businessman in Paris. A German born architect designed the house along with many of the towns civic and commercial buildings. The design is a combination of art nouveau and Dutch renaissance. Fortunately the house survived the Paris Fire in 1916 and has been entered into the National Register of Historic Places.
The Property & Book House
The house sits on .4 acre. On the side at the back is a smaller building called the Book House. The aim was to provide a historical interpretation of Sam Bell Maxey and his family and the period he lived in. The house and grounds is available for rent for weddings, receptions, and meetings.
Sam Bell Maxey House
This house was built in 1968 by a Confederate General, Sam Bell Maxey. Maxey served in the Mexican War and Civil War and was a two-term U.S. Senator. The family lived in the house for almost a century.
There are landscape grounds which have been restored along with the house and is now a State Historic Site.
There are guided tours Wed. - Fri. by appointment. Friday and Sunday, 1:00p.m. - 5:00p.m. Saturday, 10:00a.m. - 5:00p.m. A small admission is charged.
This lovely fountain is a central point in the downtown plaza square. It was donated as a gift to the rebuilding of Paris after the Fire in 1916. Culbertson Fountain is in the Historic District on the Plaza downtown. It was a gift to culminate the rebuilding of Paris after the Fire of 1916.
Hayden Museum of American Art
Hayden Museum of American Art
The Hayden Museum of American Art consists of four galleries, the largest of which houses the permanent collection of graphic art, archival photography, and American chairs. This collection includes examples from every art period and American master painters are generously represented. The pieces are arranged chronologically to present a complete history of the American art scene from Folk Art to Modern and Contemporary. Seminar and Lecture facilities are available as well as an outstanding library. Admission is free but by appointment only.
Restored in 1887, this National Registry property is a rare masonry interpretation of late Victorian 'Queen Anne' style architecture. The estate was built for William Bedford Wise, a prominent English cotton merchant. Restoration began in 1997 on the exterior and main floor of the house and carriage house, with a vision to preserve the buildings as they were designed and built. Original colors and materials were used whenever possible, with replacements being chosen to reflect styles of the late 1880's. The home and grounds are available for special events such as weddings, rehearsal dinners, and receptions.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site