Salado Restaurants

The Grange at the Barton House
  • Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Salado

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Grange at The Barton House: In The News!

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 5, 2010

Th Range at The Barton House

We heard great things about the Grange at the Barton House, so were hoping to stop by but it was closed due to the storm damage from a few days before--very disappointing! I was told that The Range's Chef catered Jenna Bush's wedding--is this true, hmmmm.

In any event, the restaurant was set back from main street at the end of a dirt driveway. It appeared to be an old restored farmhouse, very quaint and welcoming (picture #2)!

UPDATE:Here's where I'm rewriting my tip, because on this trip we were actually able to taste some of what The Grange offers. We didn't have a reservation, but I would highly recommend one any other weekend. The Chef was away on vacation and it wasn't crowded this evening.

First item to be served: homemade paprika sprinkled potato chips--and they were tasty! Next to appear was a small basket of homemade bread, which was crusty and thick.

After scanning the menu, I ordered the 4 oz. filet and shrimp ($32.95) and substituted au gratin potatoes rather than what was offered; perfectly cooked green beans and carrots finished the entree. The filet was a bit chewy, but still very good. I have to say, for that price I was expecting a melt-in-your-mouth piece of meat.

Jim ordered salmon with potatoes and vegetables, claiming that it was very good ($20.95). We skipped dessert, which was probably a very good thing! The wait staff was prompt and even shared some of their experience in hosting President Bush's family, which is afterall, why we wanted to sample something from this restaurant in the first place.

On the menu you'll find entrees such as: Marinated Grilled Pork Tenderloin over Roasted Corn Pudding, Fresh Veggies and Pineapple Pork Reduction ($19.50).

The Grange has casual seating, a lounge area and additional dining rooms.

• Architecture

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Stagecoach Inn: Historic and Delicious!

by VeronicaG Updated May 19, 2008

Old Stagecoach Inn

The Stagecoach Inn is known for its history and great eating, so we made dinner reservations as soon as we arrived in Salado.

Formerly known as Shady Villa and The Salado Hotel, this example of 'frontier vernacular' was erected in 1860. It has a two story galleried porch and second story balustrade (picture #2) and not surprisingly is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

It was restored by Don and Ruth Van Bibbin in the 1940's and renamed Stagecoach Inn. A nephew, William Bratton, purchased it in 1959.

Notables such as Robert E. Lee, George Armstrong Custer and cattle baron Shanghai Pierce have all stayed here. It just exudes history!

Favorite Dish: You'll be impressed with what is included with your meal!

I ordered Prime Rib (luscious!) which was accompanied by fancy mashed potatoes, green beans, corn pudding and a tossed salad with ranch dressing. However, a shrimp salad, hush puppies, ice tea AND corn bread muffins began the meal. ALL for $23.95! Other meals are available beginning at $16.95.

Dessert was also included--I chose Strawberry Kiss, which was vanilla ice cream, topped with strawberries over a meringue base (picture #3) which was excellent!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Browning's Courtyard Cafe: Tucked Away--Don't Miss It!

by VeronicaG Updated May 19, 2008

Browning's Courtyard Cafe

The friend who first told me about Salado, also recommended Browning's Courtyard Cafe. It's tucked away in a small courtyard behind the main street and has the feel of a garden cottage with paneled walls, lattice trim and green table cloths.

Hibiscus Ice Tea, providing a mild cranberry/raspberry-like flavor, began our meal. I ordered a hearty Ham Panini Sandwich with melted cheese, which was very good ($7.75). My husband ordered a Chicken Salad Sandwich on Wheat Bread with Baked Chips. We both enjoyed the Mexican Squash Soup which came with our meal--creamy with a chicken broth base...yum!

Browning's was a comfy place in which to grab a delicious bite to eat!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Ambrosia Tea Room: Tearoom in the Shopping District!

by VeronicaG Updated May 22, 2008

Ambrosia Tea Room

This sweet little restaurant, Ambrosia Tea Room, is located right in the cluster of shops along main street. Actually it shares a space with another business, Salado Haus.

The tea room is made up of small, intimate sized dining areas, which are cleverly accented with vintage dresses and ladies hats, while pretty China plates decorated the walls.

Although we didn't have the opportunity to dine here, we did take a look around.

Specials this day included:

Chilled Avocado, Cream of Asparagus and Cameoranch Soups

Chicken Waldorf Served on Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Chicken Avocado Salad on a Crossaint

Featured dessert was Pineapple Fluff Angelfood Cake

Ambrosia serves from Tues.-Saturday 11:00am-4:00 p.m. This looks like the perfect place to meet a girlfriend and catch up with each other's lives!

• Women's Travel

Adelea's On Main: Recommended in Texas Highways Magazine

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 5, 2010

Adelea's On Main

Adelea's is fairly new to Salado and was recently written up in Texas Highways magazine, so spying the restaurant as we approached town stirred our curiosity.

Upon first glance, nearly every table was filled with women enjoying lunch out with a friend or two. Thankfully, my husband wasn't intimidated by all this femininity!

The article had commended Adelea's on their pecan crusted chicken salad with poppyseed dressing, sugared pecan pieces and slivers of pear plus mixed greens, cherry tomatoes and cucumber.

My husband enjoyed a tarragon chicken sandwich which contained almonds and cranberries and was served with chips, but as I "ooh-ed and ah-ed" over my salad, he looked to me to be a bit envious of my selection...heh!

The decor at Adelea's was vintage with polka dot aprons, colorful teapots with matching cups and saucers, flower strewn plates and lovely pictures on the walls. All which were for sale!

You can also order a specialty tea for your table: As You Like It tea ($8.50); Sense and Sensibility tea ($29.95) ; Wuthering Heights tea ($29.95) or Great Expectations tea (#39.95).
    The website below gives further descriptions of these teas.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Salado

Comments

Salado Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Salado restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salado sightseeing.