Las Carinas, San Antonio

by Hexepatty
  • Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Las Canarias: Amazing Preparation & Service

by Hexepatty Updated Feb 18, 2007

Sophisticated Southwest Ambience with Fine Dining Service. Food and menu was exceptional and a heck of a wine list. The four of us women dined at Las Canarias on Valentine's Day evening. Expecting it to be packed, we arrived early. Bad weather in the NorthEast left quite a few no shows, so they were able to sit us early. Attention to detail with our team of servers was always paramount with the waitstaff. And the food.... yum!

There is outside seating on the riverwalk, which I imagine has to be the most romantic location when the weather is warm!

Favorite Dish: Because it was a special evening (Valentine's Day!) they had a special price fixe menu at $85 per person for a five course meal. The funniest part was the first course. Foie Gras stuffed in cherries. Well, these cherries were the size of a marble and the foie gras was the size of a USED Number #2 pencil ERASER. I mean.. we were like, "WHERE IS THE FOIE GRAS?!"... A great starter, but we whined JUST a tad. ; )

Second course was a choice of appetizers. I went "Light" and went for the tuna tartare. Exceptional. Fresh, tasty and great presentation. Third corse was a palate cleanser citris flavored sorbet with peppercorns. (Could have done without the peppercorns, but I ate around them!)

Main course - which oddly, all of us ordered - was a tempura battered swordfish stuffed with blue crab. I cringe thinking of it, since I couldn't eat it all. A waste. It was the best swordfish I've ever eaten, and rates in my top three seafood entrees ever! Sublime, subtle, fantastic presentation.

Dessert was a choice of items, and differering from my co-workers who all went with the Creme Brulee, I chose the pumpkin and dried fruit glace. Yum. Kinda tasted like a frozen dessert made of pumpkin pie batter with finely finely chopped dried fruits. I totally dug it and it was a small serving, so it was even better!

This place was a little too fancy and special to bring out my camera and start snapping away... so no photos, but imagine. Better yet, GO THERE when you are in San Antonio.

Instant Answers: San Antonio