Places to eat in San Antonio

• Restaurants
    by msbrandysue
  • Luciano Brickoven Pizzeria, Caprese Salad
    Luciano Brickoven Pizzeria, Caprese...
    by bpwarne
  • Restaurants
    by bpwarne

Most Viewed Restaurants in San Antonio

• ChartIt's Profile Photo

Rudy's "Country Store" and BBQ: Not quiet in San Antonio anymore but still close!

by ChartIt Written Feb 20, 2010

So Rudy's Country Store and BBQ isnt quiet in Downtown, but really their BBQ is the best I have had while living here in San Antonio. If you can make the drive out I recommend it. You order your meat by weight, with some sides. All of which come to you on wax paper and placed in a plastic soda container. You can purchase your drinks out of bottles or as a fountain drink. You take your food after you ordered it and sit outside on the nice picnic tables slater your meat with their bbq sauce and enjoy. I think part of the reason I enjoy the place so much is that I can eat outdoors and enjoy the weather and the food nearly all year! They do have indoor places to eat in the AC for those hot texas days. This is a gas station and bbq joint so be prepared. The restaurant has since its opening expanded to become a Texas Chain, but the location that sits just outside of Seaworld is the original. They also have a slightly different menu than some of the other stores.

Favorite Dish: I love the lean brisket, cole slaw, and you have to try the creamed corn. Honestly it is some of the best I have ever had, probably because they use real cream.

My roommates and I enjoying some food Really it is a gas station!

Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe: Comfort Food at some of its finest

by ChartIt Written Feb 20, 2010

Think everything you ever wanted in a greasy spoon restaurant. The place is local, and they have a nice bakery. However you do not go to Lulu's or as some people know it just as the Jailhouse Cafe for variety. You go for either the 3lb cinnamon rolls. I mean it they are 3 pounds of hot gooey goodness and they are like 5 bucks a peice. Make sure you bring some friends to share one of these behemoths. Or you go to this place for their country fried steak. It is some of the best I have ever had. Not a lot around it in terms of neighborhood but the restaurant still has some nice 50s diner feel to it.

Favorite Dish: Definatly the country fried steak this monster peice of heavenly battered meat is coated in a nice gravy. It really is a huge portion I was able to make three meals out of it!

Country Fried Steak and a side of fried oakra

Babe's Old Fashioned Food: My favorite burger in town

by ChartIt Written Feb 20, 2010

Babe's Old Fashioned Food is a local spot full of color and dark woods. The place is normally busy, and covered in dark wood. The tables are mostly picnic tables covered in resin housing various sports cards, tickets, ect. It isnt quiet sports bar, but there are always sports on and they have a reasonable collection of adult beverages to choose from but also a great soda selection. They have plenty of high chairs and booster seats for the little ones; I normally see them in use. The food is reasonably fast order at the front, pay, sit down and they will call you for your food when it is made. The food is good and well priced and definatly big portioned.

Favorite Dish: I love their cheeseburgers. But I am a sucker for their onion rings. They are made from scratch on the spot and they are a cross between what you imagine an onion ring and French's French Fried Onions (you know the ones you put on green bean casserole). Everything is wonderful and tasty and enough to cut everything in half and still take things home! The one onion ring order is enough for two people.

• gover's Profile Photo

Boudro's Bistro: Get the Guacamole for 2

by gover Written Jun 5, 2009

They feature steaks and seafood. We enjoyed the coconut shrimp. It's fun to eat out by the river and people watch.

Favorite Dish: The guacamole for 2 is good. The server prepares it fresh at your table. I also enjoyed the prickly pear margarita.

photo from Boudro's website

Boudro's: Holy Guacamole

by Dabs Updated Nov 18, 2008

Boudro's was highly recommended everywhere I looked so I wanted to be sure to stop here for at least one meal. On Sunday when we stopped for dinner, there was an hour wait so we came back the next day for lunch. Lunch is a more affordable than dinner plus easier to get a table but the menu is entirely different. I would highly recommend making reservations if you want to eat there for dinner, it appears you can do so on the website listed below.

We got a table right on the Riverwalk, they do have umbrellas for shade but when the sun moved it became quite hot.

Favorite Dish: Guacamole ($8 for 2 people) is a must here, it's prepared tableside for a little bit of theater and perhaps to let you know that it is fresh-avocados, diced red onions and roma tomatoes are the main ingredients, a couple of websites that claim to have the receipe also say orange juice, lime juice, serrano pepper, cilantro and sea salt. For my entree I got chicken enchiladas verdes ($7.50), very yummy. No room for dessert!

Another menu item that comes highly recommended but we didn't try is the prickly pear margarita, maybe next time!

Tableside guacamole Chicken enchiladas verde Blue Crab tostada Boudro's

Paesano's: Italian along the Riverwalk

by Dabs Updated Nov 18, 2008

I had been eating meat and BBQ for several days so Italian for our 1st meal in San Antonio seemed like a good thing to do. Paesano's came highly recommended from other people on various forums and VeronicaG also mentioned it, so I figured it was a good place to stop.

They have a lovely outdoor section where you can eat and do a little people watching along the Riverwalk.

Favorite Dish: We ate here twice, the first night I tried the chicken parmigiana which came over a bed of spaghetti and for dessert a slice of tiramisu, both very good. The 2nd night, I had eaten so much at lunch that I didn't have much of an appetite so I ordered the caesar salad and the calamari appetizer and that was also very good.

Chicken parm Tiramisu

Smitty's: BBQ in Lockhart

by Dabs Updated Oct 5, 2008

Texans are serious about their BBQ, post after post on travel boards suggested that you just couldn't get GREAT BBQ in San Antonio and that you had to head out to the Texas BBQ trail about an hour away from San Antonio. One fella even suggested that if Luling and Lockhart were too far to travel for GREAT BBQ then I didn't really deserve it! Well, if that isn't throwing down the gauntlet...

I thought we had missed our opportunity to go there when none of us was hungry on the drive from Austin to San Antonio but we decided to head up there for my last Texas meal before heading back to the cold of Chicago. It really was a toss up as to which one to try, we passed by City Market in Luling after reports of no forks or plates had me thinking we would have to eat in the car. Smitty's was the 1st we came across in Lockhart so we stopped there, Black's was probably just a couple of blocks away.

You order your meat from the men doing the smoking in the back of the place while feeling the heat from the pits, there's a menu on the wall. Then you go inside and order your drinks and sides and then have a seat at one of the long communal tables. Service here wasn't terribly friendly but no matter, the food was good and sometimes that's all that counts.

Smitty's was named as one of the 5 best BBQ places in the June 2008 issue of Texas Monthly. It's located in the building that used to be the Kreuz Market that was run by current owner Nina Schmidt Sells' father for 50 years. In 1999, his three kids had a disagreement and one of his sons opened another Kreuz Market in Lockhart, also listed as one of the top 5 BBQ places in Texas Monthly. The other 3 are in Lexington: Snow’s BBQ, Luling: City Market and Taylor: Louie Mueller Barbeque.

**CASH OR CHECKS ONLY**

Favorite Dish: Smitty's didn't have any plates or forks either, they pull off enough sheets of butcher paper to absorb all the grease and hold the food and then plop your selection on it, we tried ribs, brisket and sausage here, all of it excellent. The give you plastic knives to cut the meat with but no forks, you're eating with your hands here! I washed mine down with a Big Red soda, had to try one on my last day in Texas.

You have to ask for BBQ sauce here, they were putting it in little plastic cups when we were there otherwise I would have assumed they just didn't have any. Meat for the three of us was $27, the sides and drinks were probably another $6-8.

BBQ for three

• shargurl's Profile Photo

Cafe Ole: Mexican Food

by shargurl Written Aug 7, 2008

We a trying to give each restaurant on the river a try, so on this trip we stopped in Cafe Ole. The food was ok, not great and nothing stood out. The major highlight was when the mariachi band came around to play.

Favorite Dish: We had the fajitas for two and my son had the cheese enchiladas. The food was ok. The chips and salsa wasn't to die for either. We had a much better experience at Boudro's which was across the river.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Taco Bueno: Best Fast Food

by msbrandysue Written Jun 12, 2008

Yes, America is all about fast food. It's cheap, fast, and easy! While in San Antonio I always make sure to stop at Taco Bueno!! It is great tex-mex food with a lower price. Although loaded in calories I always save one meal to splurge and this is definitely the one!

*No alcohol is available like some places around here though.

Favorite Dish: My favorite meal is the Mucho Nachos (without the chili sauce or refried beans) with a soft beef taco. It is enough for two people, unless you're really hungry!! They put plenty of queso and tomatos on top which I always enjoy. However, because of all the the toppings some of the chips lose their crunch. I love it!! My mom hates nachos like that so be advised!

The tacos both hard and crispy are fantastic. I've heard the tortilla soup is great, although it's usually only available in the colder months. The mexi-dip is also great. You get beans, guacamole, and a cheese puff to dip your chips in.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Ihop: Breakfast Chain

by msbrandysue Written Jun 1, 2008

Everyone knows Ihop as a pancake/breakfast chain. I don't think anyone ever expects excellent service here. But this place was definitely the worst of the worst. We came after the big breakfast rush (around noon). The service people were just not friendly. To me, that makes a big difference. I can eat sloppy, horrible fast food and can be perfectly happy as long as I get a "have a good day" or "thank you" which I always say in return.

The food was just extra greasy and the eggs weren't good. I don't come here often but I've had much better food before.

Favorite Dish: I like the appetizer sampler, ham and cheese melt, and turkey melt.

Brother and Lucas Lucas NOT eating...

Hard Rock Cafe: Rock Out on the Riverwalk

by starrlot Written May 24, 2008

We had a birthday party here for my son who turned 16, and the staff couldn't have been more accomodating in making it feel like the world revolved around my son.

Parking is limited, so taking a taxi if you are staying close to the restaurant is best. Wait times are not long at all if you get their before peak times. Even if you must wait, their Hard Rock shop definitely causes the time to pass fast.

The food is really good, American classic favorites are the highlights and you will not leave hungry. Service was excellent and the memorabilia is exciting with some key pieces from their collection featured in the SA location.

At the end of the meal, our server brought my son to the grand staircase to get the attention of everyone in the cafe to wish him a happy birthday. You would have thought my son was a rock star, at least he felt like one.

Favorite Dish: Their burgers (any one of them) and milkshake.

Rainforest Cafe: It's a Jungle Out There

by starrlot Updated May 24, 2008

I have been to several Rainforest Cafe's and so far this is one of the best. It is comfortable and every seat gives you a different view of their animatronic animals. This time we were sat next to the aquarium with some very 'odd' looking fish that were entertaining. We even were able to see the elephants and a gorilla going off during the storm.

Service is excellent here and the food is good. Their drinks are good to top off your meal and served in fun glasses.

I wish their employee who walks around taking photos of your party would be a little more patient. She just came up and asked if we wanted a photo and once we said yes, done. So a few of us would rather never see the picture again.

They are located on the Riverwalk, so a taxi is the only way to get there as there is no parking close enough for someone who is disabled. They do an outside entrance on street level that leads to an elevator, so only one person must instruct the host/hostess to on the Riverwalk to let the disabled in.

Also, make reservations or your wait could be lengthy. Ask for the third floor which has the most activity.

Favorite Dish: Mojo Bones

The Cheesecake Factory: Let Them Eat Cheesecake

by starrlot Updated May 24, 2008

An attractive, as usual, restaurant located in the North Star Mall. Their lunch portions are enormous. The atmosphere is relaxing, however they do need to get rid of their aging wicker chairs, they are not comfortable. Nothing is relaxing about sitting in a chair with wicker straws poking you.

The service is lacking for the reputation that The Cheesecake Factory is known for, so that was a disappointment. Our waitress had to be told to refresh the bread and drinks constantly, we sat way too many times with no bread to eat while waiting for our food, and nothing to drink several times.

I will definitely return on our next visit, however I will expect better service if I am to return a third time.

Favorite Dish: Chicken fettucini dish and tiramisu cheesecake.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

The Original Mexican Restaurant and Bar: The Original

by ATXtraveler Written May 18, 2008

It is almost impossible to think that you would go to San Antonio and not experience the joy of eating that is Tex-Mex. Then when this comes into your consideration, you would obviously want to choose the original, on which all other restaurants were based. I am not totally sure if this Original Mexican Restaurant is truly an original, but I can tell you they make one of the best plates of food to be found in San Antonio. This location can be found on the Riverwalk, and has both indoor and outdoor seating available. We were able to sit outside on a beautiful corner table, so the people watching was just as good as the chips and salsa!
    Portions here were very ample, so I would recommend ordering one entrée for two people and possibly adding a bowl of guacamole or queso to complete the meal.

Favorite Dish: I would highly recommend the Chimichanga, which was prepared different to my past run-ins with this Mexican food staple. Rather than choosing between beef and chicken, this chimi comes with both! It was a delightful mixture, and was complimented perfectly with the refried beans and rice on the plate. Sarah and I actually shared this portion because it was so large, and because we wanted to taste the guacamole appetizer as well.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

County Line: Texas Barbecue

by ATXtraveler Written May 18, 2008

Folks who are looking for an all-you-care-to-eat type atmosphere for Texas BBQ would be fools not to stop in at the County Line, which is originally an Austin based company. Its branch here on the Riverwalk in San Antonio is a great place to bring a large group for dinner. The meals are served family style (of course you can also order a la carte if you like), and include all the sides you can imagine as well as too much meat for the average carnivore when you order the “Cadillac” plate. Beef Ribs, Sausage, Brisket, Ham, Turkey, Chicken, and a few more things that slip my mind are all included in this meal. All this is complimented by a tasty Shiner beer, and/or a sweet tea.

Favorite Dish: My personal recommendation if you are going a la carte is the Beef Ribs. Dinosaur bones are the best way to describe the look and feel of these monstrous ribs which are absolutely delicious. I think they taste best with a cold Shiner Bock beer, but to each their own.

• Beer Tasting

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Omni La Mansion Del Rio
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 11 Reviews

Instant Answers: San Antonio

Comments

San Antonio Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San Antonio locals.
Map of San Antonio