Been here? Rate It!
The Arsenal & Commander's House
The San Antonio Arsenal was built in 1859 to provide munitions to the border posts throughout Texas. It was captured by confederate forces before Texas succeeded from the Union and supplied southern war efforts. It was also used extensively during World Wars I & II.
The Commander's House at the Arsenal was built in 1883 and was home of the Commander of the Texas Arsenal until 1947 when the Arsenal was closed. In 1972 the city purchased the house and turned it into a park and senior center. Today it is all fenced in and appears closed.
In 1985 the regional grocery store HEB purchased the 10 acres of the Arsenal along the river, and built its HQ here.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
San Antonio Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kauai Hotels
- Chiang Mai
- Point Dume State Beach Hotels
- Qerret Hotels
- Higgins Lake Hotels