The Casa Navarro State Historic Site is located in the downtown area of San Antonio and preserves items relating to the life of one of San Antonio's leading citizens, Jose Antonio Navarro. Navarro was a merchant, a rancher, a patriot, and a leading advocate of Tejano rights. He was also one of only two native-born Texans to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence. Restored structures on site include Navarro's: Home (an 1850 adobe and limestone home), Kitchen and Office. The buildings, grounds, furnishings, and museum displays are quite interesting. Hours are 9 AM to 4 PM Tuesday through Saturday. Admission is $4 adults and $3 students and kids 6 to 18.
The interior of the restored buildings are period furnishings and personal items belonging to Navarro to give you a look into his life and his contributions to Texas and the United States. www.visitcasanavarro.com
Once the home of Texas pioneer Jose Antonio Navarro, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. He served in both the Mexican and Texas legislatures. Navarro's old house is now a well-preserved historic site.
Nearby is the home of short story writer O Henry. It was built about 1855, by John Kush. This house is typical of those constructed by early German settlers. It was moved here in 1960, from its original location on South Presa St.
O Henry was the pen name of William Sidney Porter. In the late 19th century, he published a weekly humor magazine in San Antonio, titled the Rolling Stone.
There are also some museum style displays showing the history of the man and the area including a neat display of the Texas Declaration of Independence.