Quardrangle, San Antonio
The oldest building on post at Fort Sam Houston is the Quadrangle which was originally built as a supply depot in 1876-77, but converted to a headquarters later. The building encloses a courtyard area of some seven acres and the 90 foot tall tower - originally housing a water tower - dominates the center. The clock atop the tower dates to 1882 though new faces were added in 1907. Six pound howitzers dating to the 1850-55 time period are found at the tower’s base. Deer and fowl grace the Quadrangle grounds since the 1880’s. In 1886, Geronimo and his band spent time here camping out in tents before moving to more permanent confinement in Florida.
Famous American Army generals that have worked here in the Quadrangle include John ‘Black Jack’ Pershing and Dwight Eisenhower. Today, the Quadrangle is the headquarters of the Army Command North/Fifth US Army.