Hays County Courthouse, San Marcos
San Marcos is a fast growing small city of about 50,000 (up 44% since 2000) located along Interstate 35 in Hays County a short distance southwest of the capitol Austin. San Marcos has been named both one of the most exciting small cities in the country and one of the best small cities to raise your kids in. Archeological evidence indicates human habitation began here some 10,000 years ago with the Clovis People. In 1689, Spanish explorer Alonso de Leon came here from Mexico and explored along the spring-fed river that flows through town. He discovered the river on 25 April which was a feast day for St Mark so he named the river San Marcos and the town that came much later adopted the same name. San Marcos was on the old Camino Real or the "Royal Highway". In 1808 a group of Mexican Families settled here and the first Anglo settlers arrived in 1846. When Hays County was established in 1848, San Marcos was named the county seat. The railroad, cattle and cotton spurred the early growth of the town. San Marcos also got a couple of colleges, and for a while had a military base. Hays County was named for John Coffee Hays a Texas Ranger and a veteran of the Mexican-American War. The Hays County Courthouse was started in 1882 and completed in 1908 by Austin architect F. E. Ruffini, using the Classical Revival style of architecture. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This is one of the major piece of architecture in San Marcos.
The Hays County was created in 1848 and named in honor of Capt. Jack C. Hays, a noted Indian fighter and Texas Ranger.
Restored to its original style, this buildings typify the Central Texas Courthouse Square.
Hays County Courthouse was built in 1909 and was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1992. It has been restored to its original style with copper dome and mosaic rotunda tiles.