South Padre Island Restaurants

Don't be discouraged by the name!
    by TexasDave
    Cap'n Roy's
    by Basaic
    Louie's Backyard
    by Basaic

Most Recent Restaurants in South Padre Island

Sea Ranch: Expensive; But Great

by Basaic Written May 30, 2014

$30 as of May 2014. This is widely considered to be the best (and fanciest) seafood restaurant in or near Padre Island. It was even listed as one of the World's Top 100 seafood restaurants. The food and service IS quite excellent. VERY popular so you might want to make reservations. Alcohol is served too.

Favorite Dish: Scott's Shrimp Scampi is delicious!!

Sea Ranch Restaurant Sea Ranch Restaurant
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Louie's Backyard: Restaurant, Sports Bar, Dance Club

by Basaic Written May 30, 2014

$16 as of May 2014 Louie's Backyard is a combination restaurant, sports bar, and dance club located on Laguna Madre. The menu includes hand cut steaks, a variety of seafood dishes, pasta, and a nice salad bar. Kids menu too. After you eat you can watch some sports on the 56 TVs, play darts and pool, or get acquainted with the other patrons. Happy hour is 5 PM to 7 PM Monday through Friday.

Favorite Dish: Try the Pasta Diablo or the Shrimp Brochette.

Louie's Backyard
    • Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Cap'n Roy's: Very Good Seafood

by Basaic Updated May 30, 2014

$19 as of May 2014. This restaurant was conveniently located along the main drag in South Padre Island. Looked okay inside and out but not that exciting. Casual atmosphere. Service was pretty good too. Open for lunch and dinner. Beer and wine served too. Open for lunch and dinner starting at 11 AM. Also try their award winning Camaronitas Diabolitas (Marinated bacon wrapped shrimp with pineapple cream cheese& jalapeno with a special sauce); you can get it a la carte for $2.25 each.

Favorite Dish: Deluxe Seafood Platter (Blackened).

Cap'n Roy's

• Fish Bones: You Catch It, They'll Cook It - $7.99

by smh81107 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place was a lot of fun. We departed on our bay fishing voyage from here. When we came back, they cleaned, fileted, and cooked our fish for $7.99 a person.

This is really good food that you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Favorite Dish: haha...funny you ask....it was the fish I caught...a Pompano

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Amberjacks Bar & Grill: Good food out!

by rsleisk Updated Apr 4, 2011

Good food and service. Great view of the bay, especially at sunset. The interior is cooly decorated with all sorts of beach paraphenilia. There is a pier you walk out on. There is a place you can rent jet skis and plenty of sea gulls to feed.

Favorite Dish: Good pasta dish.

• Beer Tasting

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Amberjacks Lunch and Dinner: Casual Bay Front Dining

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

The excellent bayside location of this tropical-theme bar and grill, along with the slick brochure, ,made us eager to try Amberjack's for dinner. We had a good table with a great view of the sunset over the Laguna Madre. However, the service was not as attentive as we would have liked.

Favorite Dish: I had the fried seafood platter, and Karen a shrimp with pasta dish. Both of us thought our meals to be mediocre, especially for the price we paid. It was not that the food was exactly poor, it was just not exceptional, in a setting that deserved much better.

Amberjack's Lunch & Dinner

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Fish Bones Pier & Grill: Out of the Ordinary Seafood

by TexasDave Updated Jul 31, 2009

This restaurant sits out on the end of a pier in the Laguna Madre. It has a lively bar and smallish restaurant area. There is usually some live entertainment on weekend evenings.

UPDATE: The restaurant has changed ownership and is now called Pier 19. I haven't tried it and can't comment on the current menu.

Favorite Dish: There are several items on the menu above and beyond the normal seafood offered by most restaurants.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Bigo's Bar & Grill: Tex-Mex at It's Best

by TexasDave Updated Jul 31, 2009

The inside of this restaurant is very quaint- it resembles a courtyard of an old Mexican Colonial house. Very informal but excellent Tex-Mex food.

UPDATE: This Bigo's has closed and a different restaurant occupies the building which I haven't tried. The original Bigo's in Brownsville is still open in Brownsville at 464 Paredes Line Rd. The fajitas they serve make it worth the drive.

Favorite Dish: Several varieties of fajitas are the best choice- especially the ones covered with mushrooms and cheese!

• The Windjammer Cafe: Best View on Island

by islandprincess15 Written Dec 21, 2008

You must go to the Radisson's Windjammer Rest. with its glass walls it has the best view. Very affordable too. Weather is great it is Dec 20 and 80 degrees today. Welcome to paradise!

Favorite Dish: Mexican Food buffet with beef and chicken fajitas, chef on hand, enchiladas, rice, beans, salsa, etc. are the best!

• Louis Backyard: Overpriced Everything and Bad Service

by smh81107 Written Jul 13, 2008

I ordered a frozen margarita and my husband ordered a beer (mug size). It cost us $18 for two drinks. I would not recommend eating or drinking here despite the romantic atmosphere. The buffet was upstairs and it was $19.99 per person.

Way overpriced for the quality and service

Favorite Dish: n/a

• Pirates Landing: Best Seafood anywhere

by smh81107 Written Jul 13, 2008

This is the best restaurant we ate at during our stay on South Padre Island. We held our wedding reception here and everyone loved it. The service was exceptionally good and they had a table set up exactly where I had requested it.

I would drive 13 hours back to South Padre just to eat here.

It's a fun family atmosphere and the tables are exceptionally roomy

Before you leave, be sure to sign up for the deep sea and/or bay fishing. The fishing company set up outside the restaurant were more than worth our money.

Favorite Dish: It's hard to choose between the jalapeno stuffed shrimp and the coconut shrimp. The sauce they give you with the coconut shrimp is to die for.

• Sailing and Boating

Dirty Al's: Cheap decor, good food

by ctietbohl Updated Mar 3, 2008

My wife and I were definitely Not impressed with the decor in this place. But, we certainly enjoyed the food. Cheap tables and chairs, loud and crowded is how I would describe this place. But, I ordered Med. Shrimp & Oyster Basket and substituted Onion rings for the fries. My wife ordered the Large Fried Shrimp Basket, and we both got Iced Tea. We really liked the food here. But, the food came in baskets and there was no silverware. Drinks were included. I really liked the Onion Rings and we both loved the Shrimp. Total cost $22.53.

Daddy's Seafood & Cajun Kitchen: good eats

by ctietbohl Written Mar 3, 2008

My wife ordered Fish and Shrimp w/fries and I got Wednesday daily special, Shrimp and fish w/rice. It was delicious. My wife said it was the best fish she had ever eaten. 1 Iced tea, 1 soda, 1 Shrimp & Fish, and 1 Daily Special cost $20.30.

Marcello's Italian Restaurant: excellent food, poor service

by ctietbohl Written Mar 3, 2008

Our first clue that the service was not going to be good was when the maitre d' seated us and said that he would bring us menus but didn't. Our waiter brought us water and asked us if we wanted to see the wine list. We said no, so he asked us if we were ready to order. It was then that he noticed we had no menus. After he brought us the menus and we ordered Steak and Shrimp for my wife and Fried Shrimp for myself, he asked what we wanted to drink and my wife said the water was fine and I ordered iced tea. After eating our salads, which were very good, I again asked for Iced tea, which was eventually brought. My wife's steak was cooked correctly, medium well, and her shrimp were excellent, but the veggies were cooked al dente. That's French for raw but warm. My fried shrimp were a little tough, but tasted great. My spaghetti with marinara sauce was very good and the bread was very good, also. My wife never got a refill on her water, so she had to drink mine. The total for the meal was $30.20.

NEW WAVE - sign says International Buffet: don't make our mistake

by ctietbohl Written Mar 3, 2008

My wife and I went to Brownsville, TX to do some sightseeing. We looked for a place to eat that was pretty crowded because we find if a lot of people eat there it must be good. Bad Mistake this time. This place had the worst food we ate on our trip. It is buffet style dining. My wife had diarrhea soon after leaving the restaurant. I had only one plate, and tried to pick only hot food, so I had no ill effects. Two buffets $14.05. without drinks

Instant Answers: South Padre Island

Comments

South Padre Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of South Padre Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Padre Island sightseeing.

View all South Padre Island hotels