South Padre Island Restaurants

Don't be discouraged by the name!
    by TexasDave
    Cap'n Roy's
    by Basaic
    Louie's Backyard
    by Basaic

Most Recent Restaurants in South Padre Island

• ctietbohl's Profile Photo

Blackbeard's Restaurant: outdoor seating while you wait for a table

by ctietbohl Written Mar 2, 2008

This restaurant was always busy when we drove by it. We ate there Monday night. Everyone sits or stands outside while waiting for a table inside. We had to wait about 20 to 30 minutes during the off season, but you will probably wait considerably longer during the weekends or during the high season. My wife and I ordered Onion Rings for an appetizer, and both of us thought they were very good. We both ordered the Monday special, which was Fried Shrimp. Our shrimp, salads and baked potato were very good, and the service was OK. Two iced teas, an appetizer, and two Specials cost $28.31.

Pirate's Landing: expensive dinner - overpriced

by ctietbohl Updated Mar 2, 2008

This restaurant was the most expensive place that we ate at in 4 days. It was 5 to 10 dollars, per person, more expensive than other restaurants we ate at. We thought that it was over priced for the quality of the food and service that we got. I ordered the Seafood Mix and Match. I ordered broiled fish and fried shrimp. The fish was good and the shrimp was very good. The baked potato was overcooked. My wife had the Shrimp Sampler, - 4 kinds of shrimp. If you do not like spicy food, do not get the jalapeno shrimp. It is spicy. Our salads and coleslaw were very good. My wife's shrimp were very good. The Mix and Match Shrimp and the Shrimp Sampler with one iced tea was $39.98.

CAPN ROYS: nice place

by ctietbohl Written Mar 2, 2008

My wife and I went here for lunch one day. When we walked in the restaurant, it seemed too warm for us, so we decided to eat at one of the tables outside. The weather was great, and we enjoyed it. She ordered the grilled shrimp salad. She said it was good, but the lettuce was a little bit bitter. I ordered the one-half pound hamburger. It had mustard and mayo, pickles, onion, lettuce on the side. It was very good. The french fries were very lightly battered and very good, and I generally don't eat fries. The salad and burger and two drinks cost $18.00.

• TracyC13's Profile Photo

Sea Ranch & Pirates Landing: Eating Out on SPI

by TracyC13 Written Feb 23, 2008

The Sea Ranch and Pirates Landing are two seafood houses on either side of the Causeway that are apparently owned by the same people. We were pretty disappointed in both. Prices are high, as expected in a resort area, and the food was mediocre -- bland, breaded seafood and iceberg lettuce salads. To be honest, Red Lobster is far, far higher on the culinary scale than either of these establishments. They seem to cater to older folks who prefer a bland, 1970s style seafood menu. We much prefer to shop at HEB in Port Isabel and cook on our own in the condo, saving our money to eat at better restaurants when we return home after vacation or to add to our shopping fund for a trip over the bridge to Matamoros.

While the pirate ambiance of Pirate's Landing was very appealling to our two sons, ages four and seven, the food is greasy and bland.

Service at both establishments was fine.

Favorite Dish: The Kids Meal paper boat serving dishes at the Pirates Landing are adorable. I can't say that anything we ate at either the Sea Ranch or Pirate's Landing would be considered a "favorite."

• Beaches

• Blackbeard's: Go early if you must go at all

by Sligb Written Mar 4, 2007

Apparently this dump is a tourist favorite. We went early and were seated right away. The tables are intensely closely spaced to make room for as many customers as possible, so we felt crowded. We ordered beers, each of which was about the price of a six-pack at home in Austin. The cold peel-and-eat shrimp we got for an appetizer were fine, but it's hard to swallow paying that kind of price for something that looks like it was just taken out of the fridge premade and covered in plastic wrap. I mean, is it really appropriate to serve cocktail sauce in a disposable plastic cup at a sit-down restaurant?

Hubby's burger was fine, well-cooked, but the fries were completely tasteless. I got the fried shrimp and scallop plate with mashed potatoes - shrimp were adequate, but the scallops had some sort of weird liquid coming out of them. The mashed potatoes definitely were just-add-water. And again with the plastic cup of cocktail sauce. Which all would have been just fine if we'd gotten it at a discount family buffet for 20 bucks, but pretty unforgivable at the jaw-dropping price we saw on our bill.

On our way out, a crowd had gathered waiting to be seated, and we realized that the best part of our meal was that we hadn't waited in line for it.

• Rovan's Bakery and Restaurant: Adequate, but barely

by Sligb Written Mar 4, 2007

We read the (mostly) glowing reviews on this site about Rovan's and were convinced that in order to make our trip complete, we needed to try the breakfast here. And, well, it was certainly right in line with our S. Padre experience so far - just okay, and a big disappointment compared with the build-up it had been given.

When we walked in, the restaurant looked closed - there were no other patrons, the bakery case lights were off, the tables weren't set, and there was one employee walking toward us - we couldn't tell if she was coming to seat us or to tell us to buzz off. They were open, and we sat down and began to take in the cheap, dated atmosphere - framed prints of farm equipment, photos of Miss USA pageants from the 90's, a tricycle-sized covered wagon, and the non-operational model train looped around the room.

The food was marginal at best. Hubby got the "Country Breakfast," consisting of 2 eggs (he got scrambled, which were overcooked), cold toasted Wonder Bread, hash browns (clearly frozen from a bag, and cooked to dessication), and bacon. I got a waffle - nicely crisp on the outside but chewy batter on the inside. And once we were done, we waited for an agonizing 20 minutes listening to our server talking full voice in the back about Wrestlemania, until finally my husband got up and walked back there to hand her our credit card.

So while we didn't find a live cockroach in our silverware like one of the reviewers did, we still don't exactly recommend it.

• Blackbeards, Dirty Al's and Scampi's: Our Favorate Places To Eat.

by mhutchins Written Jul 31, 2006

Let me first say that Ben and Jerry's was not worth our time. Food was average and so was the service. On the other hand. I would recommend Louie's backyard, Dirty Al's, Scampi's or Blackbeards. These three restaurants were great and service was excellent.
    Dirty Al's is very reasonably priced. Just about everything on their menu was $6.99. Swrimp, orsters and fish were all great. Get their early or you will have to wait.
    Scampi's on the other hand was a little more expensive, but go early because they have an early dinner menu. This menu will save you about 50%. It's between 4pm - 6:30pm.
    Blackbeards was my favorite. They have the best Red Snapper.
    Louie's backyard is another great place. If you can stand the heat, eat out doors. We all had their seafood buffet. For $18, well worth it. And don't forget to feed the fish. Throw your left-over bread to the fish - kids really enjoyed it.

• Blackbeards: Best Red Snapper

by mhutchins Written Jul 31, 2006

This restaurant was recommanded and we were glad we paid them a visit. Seven of us visited south padre between July 23 - 29, 2006 and had a great time. We all tried something different on Blackbeard's menu and everyone was pleased. The Red Snapper was excellent and the best I had ever tasted. Serve was great. Get their early - busy place.

Favorite Dish: Red Snapper

• sushilover31's Profile Photo

Texas Moon Restaurant and Bar: Unpretentious Texas Country Bar

by sushilover31 Written Jul 8, 2006

We were drawn to Texas Moon for their $12.95 ribeye ad in a local magazine. Located in a shopping strip, I was surprised when walking through the front door: it was as if we were transported to a casual, country-western scene. We chose a booth near the jukebox which played classic country songs from George Jones and Johnny Cash to more recent singers like Reba and Randy Travis. When we sat down, I was amazed at their 3-6pm happy hour specials of $1 draft Miller Lite and Shiner Bock. Although we were there around 9 pm, my partner-in-crime had the Shiner (10 oz) while I ordered a strawberry margarita (too sweet for my taste). For dinner, he chose the 12 oz ribeye (tasty, tender - medium cooked) with a baked potato (condiments in little plastic containers - fake butter, fake bacon bits, real sour cream). In contrast I chose the pecan-crusted snapper (yummy) with green beans (with bacon) and coleslaw. I wished the coleslaw was served in a bowl instead of on my plate mixing with my fish and beans. Both meals came with a salad (iceberg lettuce with a couple wedges of tomato) and our dressings in a little to-go container (which was kinda wierd). Overall there seemed to be a nice group of families and locals at this friendly restaurant. As a side note, the menu was broad with tex-mex to seafood to breakfast and lunch specials. (Love the jukebox!)

Favorite Dish: The ribeye and pecan crusted snapper were yummy!

• School Holidays

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Dirty Al's Bait Stand & Seafood Kitchen: The Art of Fried Seafood!

by TexasDave Written Feb 17, 2006

This is a very no-atmosphere, no-nonsense, eating establishment. In fact you'll be sitting on furniture direct from Sam's Club, and there will be a local's bar within sight of all the tables. But they know how to do breaded and fried seafood.

Favorite Dish: Fried Shrimp

Don't be discouraged by the name!

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Padre Island Brewing Co.: Good Suds, Good Food

by TexasDave Written Oct 21, 2005

As the name indicates, it's a micro-brewery (the vats are visible from the street). At any given moment they have a half dozen different beers on tap, adjusted with the seasons. Their food menu has a good variety as well.
    There is an outside eating area and an upstairs deck for enjoying the sunsets.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed their baby back ribs.
    This isn't the place I would recommend for seafood.

• Beer Tasting

• Rovan's: Rovan's LIVE COCKROACH

by tysonwhipple Written Apr 1, 2005

Me and my wife read a review on Rovan's and it seemed very nice. See we went there for breakfast, hoping for a warm meal and great local service. As soon as we walked in the door there seemed to be a uncomfortable amotsphere. We ordered and when our food was about to come out my wife unrapped her knife and fork only to find a live cockroach staring back at us. I brought this to the attention of the establishment and there was no apology, nothing. Very unprofessional. Our waiter made us feel very uncomfortable about it and right away we knew this wasnt a place we were EVER going to come back to or recommend. Overall it was terrible service and a filthy establishment.

Favorite Dish: We couldnt eat due to the fact that it was too filthy.

• corygkb1's Profile Photo

Isabells: Best Mexican food place ever

by corygkb1 Written Jan 3, 2005

If you want to try the best taco ( Burrito not fried) anywhere try this place. It isn't on the Island but in Port Isabell right off Highway 100. This place is a small cafe that just really locals eat at. I reccomend the Huevos y Chorizo con queso. That is the eggs and mexican sausage and cheese taco. It is huge but if you want you can order the small one. The large is bigg enough to savor later or share and is around 5 bucks.
    This place isnt fancy and doesnt require attire. I use to go there after a morning surf in my shorts and t-shirt and sandals.
    Don't go there to impress it isnt that type of place. Just a place to eat the best foods around. Handmade tortillas that are to die for. I crave them on a daily basis since I moved.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Rovans Bakery and Restaurant: Best Bet for Breakfast

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 17, 2004

Rovans is where the locals eat. An island tradition since 1969, some people would not consider a visit to South Padre complete without at least one meal at this "Mom and Pop" family restaurant. The southwestern decor features an authentic Wells Fargo stagecoach and model train which circles the front dining room. Back rooms have a bar, pool tables, and other games.

Favorite Dish: For us Rovans was where we enjoyed breakfast. Their signature dish is Migas with Cheese: Two jumbo eggs scrambled with sauteed onions, tomatoes, chili peppers, and Monterey Jack cheese, served with refried beans and chips.

Rovans also features their own in-house bakery where one can indulge in a variety of fresh pastries and cakes.

Rovans Restaurant and Bakery

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Whataburger #477: Texas' Own Fast Food Franchise

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 8, 2004

Virtually every town in Texas has a Whataburger, and most towns of any size have several. Only a relative handful of Whataburger restaurants exist in a few neighboring states, so most people from outside the area are not familiar with them.

The Whataburger chain had its beginnings in South Texas in 1950. We felt it our duty while in Texas to do as the Texans have been doing for more than half a century and have a Whataburger.

Favorite Dish: We both ordered the medium #1 value meal: Whataburger, fries and drink. When I informed Sergio, the manager, that this was our first ever Whataburger experience, he told us to be seated and that he personally would make our sandwiches and bring them out to us. The burger was big and juicy and delicious. The fries and drink were typical. The service was the best I have ever had in a fast food restaurant. Sergio came by twice to check on us, offering us condiments and a refill on our drinks.

The Whataburger on South Padre Island

Instant Answers: South Padre Island

Comments

South Padre Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of South Padre Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Padre Island sightseeing.

View all South Padre Island hotels