South Padre Island Restaurants

Don't be discouraged by the name!
    by TexasDave

Best Rated Restaurants in South Padre Island

• corygkb1's Profile Photo

Isabells: Best Mexican food place ever

by corygkb1 Written Jan 3, 2005

If you want to try the best taco ( Burrito not fried) anywhere try this place. It isn't on the Island but in Port Isabell right off Highway 100. This place is a small cafe that just really locals eat at. I reccomend the Huevos y Chorizo con queso. That is the eggs and mexican sausage and cheese taco. It is huge but if you want you can order the small one. The large is bigg enough to savor later or share and is around 5 bucks.
    This place isnt fancy and doesnt require attire. I use to go there after a morning surf in my shorts and t-shirt and sandals.
    Don't go there to impress it isnt that type of place. Just a place to eat the best foods around. Handmade tortillas that are to die for. I crave them on a daily basis since I moved.

• The Windjammer Cafe: Best View on Island

by islandprincess15 Written Dec 21, 2008

You must go to the Radisson's Windjammer Rest. with its glass walls it has the best view. Very affordable too. Weather is great it is Dec 20 and 80 degrees today. Welcome to paradise!

Favorite Dish: Mexican Food buffet with beef and chicken fajitas, chef on hand, enchiladas, rice, beans, salsa, etc. are the best!

• Fishing

• ctietbohl's Profile Photo

Daddy's Seafood & Cajun Kitchen: good eats

by ctietbohl Written Mar 3, 2008

My wife ordered Fish and Shrimp w/fries and I got Wednesday daily special, Shrimp and fish w/rice. It was delicious. My wife said it was the best fish she had ever eaten. 1 Iced tea, 1 soda, 1 Shrimp & Fish, and 1 Daily Special cost $20.30.

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

Amberjacks: Enjoy the patio

by lisa85202 Written Apr 14, 2012

We visited this restaurant at an off hour, late in the afternoon with the kids for a lunch out on the patio. I love the atmosphere of this place, both inside and out. Gorgeous views of the bay~ a great place to relax and have a beer.

This was the moment where I thought to myself....wow...I really DONT miss work!!

Favorite Dish: Honestly, I can't remember what I ate here, I visted this restaurant prior to being a VT member, so I didn't take notes!!

Cap'n Roy's: Very Good Seafood

by Basaic Updated May 30, 2014

Cap'n Roy's

$19 as of May 2014. This restaurant was conveniently located along the main drag in South Padre Island. Looked okay inside and out but not that exciting. Casual atmosphere. Service was pretty good too. Open for lunch and dinner. Beer and wine served too. Open for lunch and dinner starting at 11 AM. Also try their award winning Camaronitas Diabolitas (Marinated bacon wrapped shrimp with pineapple cream cheese& jalapeno with a special sauce); you can get it a la carte for $2.25 each.

Favorite Dish: Deluxe Seafood Platter (Blackened).

Louie's Backyard: Restaurant, Sports Bar, Dance Club

by Basaic Written May 30, 2014

Louie's Backyard

$16 as of May 2014 Louie's Backyard is a combination restaurant, sports bar, and dance club located on Laguna Madre. The menu includes hand cut steaks, a variety of seafood dishes, pasta, and a nice salad bar. Kids menu too. After you eat you can watch some sports on the 56 TVs, play darts and pool, or get acquainted with the other patrons. Happy hour is 5 PM to 7 PM Monday through Friday.

Favorite Dish: Try the Pasta Diablo or the Shrimp Brochette.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Sea Ranch: Expensive; But Great

by Basaic Written May 30, 2014

Sea Ranch Restaurant

$30 as of May 2014. This is widely considered to be the best (and fanciest) seafood restaurant in or near Padre Island. It was even listed as one of the World's Top 100 seafood restaurants. The food and service IS quite excellent. VERY popular so you might want to make reservations. Alcohol is served too.

Favorite Dish: Scott's Shrimp Scampi is delicious!!

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Fish Bones: You Catch It, They'll Cook It - $7.99

by smh81107 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place was a lot of fun. We departed on our bay fishing voyage from here. When we came back, they cleaned, fileted, and cooked our fish for $7.99 a person.

This is really good food that you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Favorite Dish: haha...funny you ask....it was the fish I caught...a Pompano

• Fishing

• ctietbohl's Profile Photo

Blackbeard's Restaurant: outdoor seating while you wait for a table

by ctietbohl Written Mar 2, 2008

This restaurant was always busy when we drove by it. We ate there Monday night. Everyone sits or stands outside while waiting for a table inside. We had to wait about 20 to 30 minutes during the off season, but you will probably wait considerably longer during the weekends or during the high season. My wife and I ordered Onion Rings for an appetizer, and both of us thought they were very good. We both ordered the Monday special, which was Fried Shrimp. Our shrimp, salads and baked potato were very good, and the service was OK. Two iced teas, an appetizer, and two Specials cost $28.31.

• Rovan's Bakery and Restaurant: Adequate, but barely

by Sligb Written Mar 4, 2007

We read the (mostly) glowing reviews on this site about Rovan's and were convinced that in order to make our trip complete, we needed to try the breakfast here. And, well, it was certainly right in line with our S. Padre experience so far - just okay, and a big disappointment compared with the build-up it had been given.

When we walked in, the restaurant looked closed - there were no other patrons, the bakery case lights were off, the tables weren't set, and there was one employee walking toward us - we couldn't tell if she was coming to seat us or to tell us to buzz off. They were open, and we sat down and began to take in the cheap, dated atmosphere - framed prints of farm equipment, photos of Miss USA pageants from the 90's, a tricycle-sized covered wagon, and the non-operational model train looped around the room.

The food was marginal at best. Hubby got the "Country Breakfast," consisting of 2 eggs (he got scrambled, which were overcooked), cold toasted Wonder Bread, hash browns (clearly frozen from a bag, and cooked to dessication), and bacon. I got a waffle - nicely crisp on the outside but chewy batter on the inside. And once we were done, we waited for an agonizing 20 minutes listening to our server talking full voice in the back about Wrestlemania, until finally my husband got up and walked back there to hand her our credit card.

So while we didn't find a live cockroach in our silverware like one of the reviewers did, we still don't exactly recommend it.

• sushilover31's Profile Photo

Texas Moon Restaurant and Bar: Unpretentious Texas Country Bar

by sushilover31 Written Jul 8, 2006

We were drawn to Texas Moon for their $12.95 ribeye ad in a local magazine. Located in a shopping strip, I was surprised when walking through the front door: it was as if we were transported to a casual, country-western scene. We chose a booth near the jukebox which played classic country songs from George Jones and Johnny Cash to more recent singers like Reba and Randy Travis. When we sat down, I was amazed at their 3-6pm happy hour specials of $1 draft Miller Lite and Shiner Bock. Although we were there around 9 pm, my partner-in-crime had the Shiner (10 oz) while I ordered a strawberry margarita (too sweet for my taste). For dinner, he chose the 12 oz ribeye (tasty, tender - medium cooked) with a baked potato (condiments in little plastic containers - fake butter, fake bacon bits, real sour cream). In contrast I chose the pecan-crusted snapper (yummy) with green beans (with bacon) and coleslaw. I wished the coleslaw was served in a bowl instead of on my plate mixing with my fish and beans. Both meals came with a salad (iceberg lettuce with a couple wedges of tomato) and our dressings in a little to-go container (which was kinda wierd). Overall there seemed to be a nice group of families and locals at this friendly restaurant. As a side note, the menu was broad with tex-mex to seafood to breakfast and lunch specials. (Love the jukebox!)

Favorite Dish: The ribeye and pecan crusted snapper were yummy!

• School Holidays

• Blackbeards: Best Red Snapper

by mhutchins Written Jul 31, 2006

This restaurant was recommanded and we were glad we paid them a visit. Seven of us visited south padre between July 23 - 29, 2006 and had a great time. We all tried something different on Blackbeard's menu and everyone was pleased. The Red Snapper was excellent and the best I had ever tasted. Serve was great. Get their early - busy place.

Favorite Dish: Red Snapper

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

Pier 19: Felt like a Tourist Trap

by lisa85202 Written Apr 14, 2012

I was disappointed in this restaurant, there was a salesman at the front of our hotel selling tour tickets, he recommended this restaurant to us, for a casual place to eat- and gave us a coupon.

It is behind the KOA on the water, but I was not impressed with the atmosphere...or the food. More of an attraction here, is that they will cook fish that you catch in the area.

The kids enjoyed the pirate hats..that's about it...

Favorite Dish: No favorites, I wasn't impressed.

• Blackbeard's: Go early if you must go at all

by Sligb Written Mar 4, 2007

Apparently this dump is a tourist favorite. We went early and were seated right away. The tables are intensely closely spaced to make room for as many customers as possible, so we felt crowded. We ordered beers, each of which was about the price of a six-pack at home in Austin. The cold peel-and-eat shrimp we got for an appetizer were fine, but it's hard to swallow paying that kind of price for something that looks like it was just taken out of the fridge premade and covered in plastic wrap. I mean, is it really appropriate to serve cocktail sauce in a disposable plastic cup at a sit-down restaurant?

Hubby's burger was fine, well-cooked, but the fries were completely tasteless. I got the fried shrimp and scallop plate with mashed potatoes - shrimp were adequate, but the scallops had some sort of weird liquid coming out of them. The mashed potatoes definitely were just-add-water. And again with the plastic cup of cocktail sauce. Which all would have been just fine if we'd gotten it at a discount family buffet for 20 bucks, but pretty unforgivable at the jaw-dropping price we saw on our bill.

On our way out, a crowd had gathered waiting to be seated, and we realized that the best part of our meal was that we hadn't waited in line for it.

• Rovan's: Rovan's LIVE COCKROACH

by tysonwhipple Written Apr 1, 2005

Me and my wife read a review on Rovan's and it seemed very nice. See we went there for breakfast, hoping for a warm meal and great local service. As soon as we walked in the door there seemed to be a uncomfortable amotsphere. We ordered and when our food was about to come out my wife unrapped her knife and fork only to find a live cockroach staring back at us. I brought this to the attention of the establishment and there was no apology, nothing. Very unprofessional. Our waiter made us feel very uncomfortable about it and right away we knew this wasnt a place we were EVER going to come back to or recommend. Overall it was terrible service and a filthy establishment.

Favorite Dish: We couldnt eat due to the fact that it was too filthy.

Instant Answers: South Padre Island

Comments

South Padre Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of South Padre Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Padre Island sightseeing.

View all South Padre Island hotels