South Padre Island Restaurants

Don't be discouraged by the name!
    by TexasDave

Best Rated Restaurants in South Padre Island

• ctietbohl's Profile Photo

Marcello's Italian Restaurant: excellent food, poor service

by ctietbohl Written Mar 3, 2008

Our first clue that the service was not going to be good was when the maitre d' seated us and said that he would bring us menus but didn't. Our waiter brought us water and asked us if we wanted to see the wine list. We said no, so he asked us if we were ready to order. It was then that he noticed we had no menus. After he brought us the menus and we ordered Steak and Shrimp for my wife and Fried Shrimp for myself, he asked what we wanted to drink and my wife said the water was fine and I ordered iced tea. After eating our salads, which were very good, I again asked for Iced tea, which was eventually brought. My wife's steak was cooked correctly, medium well, and her shrimp were excellent, but the veggies were cooked al dente. That's French for raw but warm. My fried shrimp were a little tough, but tasted great. My spaghetti with marinara sauce was very good and the bread was very good, also. My wife never got a refill on her water, so she had to drink mine. The total for the meal was $30.20.

• ctietbohl's Profile Photo

Dirty Al's: Cheap decor, good food

by ctietbohl Updated Mar 3, 2008

My wife and I were definitely Not impressed with the decor in this place. But, we certainly enjoyed the food. Cheap tables and chairs, loud and crowded is how I would describe this place. But, I ordered Med. Shrimp & Oyster Basket and substituted Onion rings for the fries. My wife ordered the Large Fried Shrimp Basket, and we both got Iced Tea. We really liked the food here. But, the food came in baskets and there was no silverware. Drinks were included. I really liked the Onion Rings and we both loved the Shrimp. Total cost $22.53.

• Louis Backyard: Overpriced Everything and Bad Service

by smh81107 Written Jul 13, 2008

I ordered a frozen margarita and my husband ordered a beer (mug size). It cost us $18 for two drinks. I would not recommend eating or drinking here despite the romantic atmosphere. The buffet was upstairs and it was $19.99 per person.

Way overpriced for the quality and service

Favorite Dish: n/a

• Beaches

• Blackbeard's: Go early if you must go at all

by Sligb Written Mar 4, 2007

Apparently this dump is a tourist favorite. We went early and were seated right away. The tables are intensely closely spaced to make room for as many customers as possible, so we felt crowded. We ordered beers, each of which was about the price of a six-pack at home in Austin. The cold peel-and-eat shrimp we got for an appetizer were fine, but it's hard to swallow paying that kind of price for something that looks like it was just taken out of the fridge premade and covered in plastic wrap. I mean, is it really appropriate to serve cocktail sauce in a disposable plastic cup at a sit-down restaurant?

Hubby's burger was fine, well-cooked, but the fries were completely tasteless. I got the fried shrimp and scallop plate with mashed potatoes - shrimp were adequate, but the scallops had some sort of weird liquid coming out of them. The mashed potatoes definitely were just-add-water. And again with the plastic cup of cocktail sauce. Which all would have been just fine if we'd gotten it at a discount family buffet for 20 bucks, but pretty unforgivable at the jaw-dropping price we saw on our bill.

On our way out, a crowd had gathered waiting to be seated, and we realized that the best part of our meal was that we hadn't waited in line for it.

• Rovan's: Rovan's LIVE COCKROACH

by tysonwhipple Written Apr 1, 2005

Me and my wife read a review on Rovan's and it seemed very nice. See we went there for breakfast, hoping for a warm meal and great local service. As soon as we walked in the door there seemed to be a uncomfortable amotsphere. We ordered and when our food was about to come out my wife unrapped her knife and fork only to find a live cockroach staring back at us. I brought this to the attention of the establishment and there was no apology, nothing. Very unprofessional. Our waiter made us feel very uncomfortable about it and right away we knew this wasnt a place we were EVER going to come back to or recommend. Overall it was terrible service and a filthy establishment.

Favorite Dish: We couldnt eat due to the fact that it was too filthy.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Kohnami: Japanese at the Beach!

by TexasDave Updated Feb 17, 2006

Typical Japanese sushi and steakhouse.

Favorite Dish: Teppan-yaki, where the meal is cooked right in front of your table.

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

BLACKBEARD'S RESTAURANT: Really good food!

by rsleisk Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food here was really good. they have just about all kinds of food, plenty of choices (American, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Seafood).

Favorite Dish: Definitely the chicken fried chicken, with mash taters!!!

Old blackbeard himself!
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: South Padre Island

Comments

South Padre Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of South Padre Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Padre Island sightseeing.

View all South Padre Island hotels