Spring Restaurants

• Restaurants
  • Restaurants
    by msbrandysue
    My nephew enjoying Saltgrass :)

Most Recent Restaurants in Spring

Schlotzsky's: Favorite Sandwich

by msbrandysue Written Dec 31, 2012

Schlotzsky’s is one of my very favorite places to eat. It’s a sandwich shop that you can take out or eat in the shop with plenty of tables always available. It’s a bit pricier ($6-7 for a sandwich) than most other sandwich shops but definitely worth it.

It's a place where you order at the counter, then wait for your food and pick it up when they call your number. It's very casual and I'm sure you'll love the food! This specific one is the one my mother and I eat at regularly.

Hours of operation
    Mon-Sat: 10:30am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-9:00pm

Favorite Dish: The highlight is the sandwiches. They make it with thick sourdough bread and very thinly sliced meat. Then they sprinkle cheese (the best is a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella) on one piece of bread and run it through an oven conveyor belt. Therefore the sandwich is warm and very tasty. The Original is their signature sandwich and comes with: “Home of The Original® Sandwich. Lean smoked ham, Genoa and cotto salamis, and melted cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses layered with black olives, red onion, lettuce, tomato, mustard and our signature dressing on toasted Sourdough bread.” (From the website.)

Their sandwiches are quite large. I’ve never ordered a large, the mediums are quite enough when you’re at your hungriest.

Their original chips are delicious! Their pizzas are as well. The cheese and pizza is definitely worth trying, also cooked on a sourdough. The bbq chicken looks just as good but it’s hard not to get my favorite sandwich, the turkey and cheese.

Hickory Hollow: BBQ That Supports Texas

by msbrandysue Updated Apr 18, 2011

Since I do love travelling and trying new restaurants in the area, I joined a group called Go Texan. It supports local restaurants (not many chains) that use produce and meats that are grown in Texas. So each year they have an Eating Out Week where they will put out a list of Go Texan restaurants in your area. There were only 2 restaurants in my area: Hickory Hollow was one of them.

So one night we ordered it to pick up. The place was very authentic. Wooden posts in the middle of the linoleum floors. Writing on the walls...you know that feeling. Very hometown. It's not by any other restaurants, so you won't come upon it, you have to come here with a purchase.

Sundays: 11 - 8:30 (8:00pm closing in winter)
    Mon.- Thur: 11 - 9:00
    Friday and Saturday: 11 - 9:30

Favorite Dish: The food was fantastic! The french fries were so good, those krinkly kind... The catfish was great, brisket, and sausage. The beans, baked potato, and potato salad were good as well.

They had a good kids meal for those with families, too.

Rigia's Pizza: Crappy Pizza But Heck of a Good Time

by msbrandysue Updated Apr 4, 2011

So Myspace Local has really got me trying other places around town and I have to say it's quite the adventure! I found Rigia's on ML and checked out their website. They said they were famous for their 30'' pizza. For some reason I thought a large pizza was like 24''...boy was I wrong! When we went to pick it up...thank god I was in my mom's truck because the thing wouldn't fit in a car! We had to put it in the BED of the truck! That's right, it was bigger than the stove. You truly have to see it, so check out the website and/or hit me up on Myspace to send personal pictures. The thing is supposed to feed 12-16 people. We hardly made a dent in it and I've eaten it two days.

The positive side? They serve green olives, which is rare nowadays. Usually you can only find black olives.

The pizza itself is not very good. The sauce is different, true, but it's not good. Now, I'm sure that it's hard to spread 30'' of sauce but still it was in clumps. The crust is nothing special (but I like crust so it's kind of important for me).

And there is no dine-in. It's all take-out which wasn't as fun but I don't know if the pizza would have fit on a table anyway...it's THAT big!

The only other hint I would give you is make sure you know exactly where to turn. The map on the website shows it's just right on 2920 from Kuyhendahl but it's actually behind a gas station on the back corner of Rhodes and 2920. (We had a hard time finding it.

Definitely would recommend it for the entertainment value, though. Especially for a birthday party, house party, etc. I think we laughed about it days later even and the box is absolutely hilarious to keep as a momento.
    Trust me, you haven't seen anything like it!

But just ordering a regular pizza? Pass on this place.

Favorite Dish: They have green olives but other than that.....yucky.

***PS The MONSTER pizza was almost $40 so that's why I'm putting the pricing guide. If you're not getting this monster pizza than pass on this place.

BEFORE AFTER (we failed miserably)

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Saltgrass Steakhouse: Great Steak and Salmon!

by msbrandysue Written Mar 28, 2011

When Saltgrass first started expanding their franchises I hated steak. Yea, yea, I wasn't even a teenager though. So I started with the kids menu and have worked myself up to the best steak in the place.

The restaurant is authentic country Texas. The decor ranges from televisions with the game on, deer heads, bear heads, license plates and other country decor. They have a full bar and eating area. The tables are covered in white linens and the waitors wear tuxedo shirts and long white aprons.

I recently went here for my birthday lunch and was surprised to have been given a black napkin and silverware. I think the waitress saw the confusion on my face and said that I was given the black one because my dress pants were black and it was to protect them. Isn't that wonderful? I thought it was very thoughtful of them.

There are many restaurants around the city. So, please, use the website and find the one nearest you. I've never been disappointed by one and I've been to quite a few around the state.

Favorite Dish: The food is delicious!! I would highly recommend the Maudene's Filet. 7oz. is more than enough for me but I believe there is a 10oz. cut as well. It comes with your choice of side (potatoes a few different ways or veggies) along with onion rings on the side. It's soooooo good!!!! When you order a steak you also get a choice of soup or salad. Both are delicious.

**UPDATE: I now usually order the salmon. I order it well done so it's crispy on the edges. It's heaven if you love salmon. So wonderful!

You get complimentary bread with fantastic tasting butter. So great.

When you order tea they bring out your own jar of tea so that you can refill your own glasses. My dad likes that.

My nephew enjoying Saltgrass :)

Pizza Fusion: Organic Pizza

by msbrandysue Written Sep 20, 2009

I'm not going to lie, I was a bit nervous coming here. My family gave me this perception that "organic" meant worms in your apples and nasty tastes. But, Pizza Fusion has completely blasted that misconception out of the water.

This completely organic restaurant is some of the best pizza I've had. The atmosphere is very chic and my mom and I had a quiet meal, which is rare on a Friday night.

The furniture and even bar are made of recycled, green material. The food is all organic and gluten-free. And you will definitely be able to tell the purity by the overwhelming taste.

If I still lived in Spring I would definitely come to this place more often. In fact, I think it's time to go back already... :)

Favorite Dish: We had an organic bottle of white wine and the pepperoni pizza. Love it!

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Wunsche Bros.: Awesome Burgers!

by msbrandysue Updated Sep 12, 2009

I learned about Wunsche Bros. while I was exploring Old Town Spring. They had a small magazine and I saw the advertisement. My mother had known about the restaurant and had eaten there many times.

Their claim to fame is that the business has been opened since 1902. First opened as a hotel and saloon the place has a loyal fan base and for good reason: the food and southern hospitality!

My mother and I ate there on a Friday night. We found plenty of parking down the street (there's not really a parking lot for the place but there's plenty of parking around the area). I was a bit worried because the place looked small and I was worried all the tables would be real close together. However, I was pleasantly surprised! There was tons of room and all the people were really nice.

The only thing that was a bit weird would be the old bathrooms. You'll feel like you're back in the saloon days!

There's some music playing, families, a big group of bikers, and it gave the place just a real laid back feeling. I loved the whole experience.

Open til 9pm on weeknights and 10pm on weekends
    They also have live music from 7-9 on weekend nights.
    And they also serve alcohol!

Favorite Dish: The food is tradition American. I had a cheeseburger and it was wonderful, along with the tasty fries. My mom had the chicken fried steak and loved it and all the goodies.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Home Sweet Home Etc.: Old Town Spring Coffee (Pass...)

by msbrandysue Written May 6, 2009

I saw the ad for this place in the Old Town Spring magazine put out by the visitors center. As soon as you drive into OTS you will see it on the right. I decided to stop in on a Tuesday because there was close parking and I could always use some coffee.

The shop, itself, some crafty things. You know the coffee cups with silly sayings on them and Willow Tree Angels. There are some cute things to look at but nothing that I felt worth buying.

They had a huge selection of coffee beans but not really much coffee. I'm not sure if they would ground them for you. They had a big sign of coffee specials so I chose a white chocolate cappaccino because it sounded good. To my BIGGEST disappointment he actually got it from one of those stupid box machines. It was the same thing as the Vanilla Cappaccinos at the gas station...no joke. And he charged me $3 for a small!!

However, they did have a fun little couch and two wicker chairs set up to enjoy the coffee. It started to rain so I just sat down for a quick bit and enjoyed the brochures they had on their table. It began to rain and it was a nice little moment.

The couple who owns this place were very welcoming. I had a good conversation with the husband and he's who made (pressed the button) for the coffee.

Favorite Dish: If I had to go again I'd try some of the unusual coffee flavors...but they don't have any fresh creamer so I might just take the beans home.

Cracker Barrel: Good Home Cookin' and Breakfast

by msbrandysue Written Apr 11, 2009

Many of my friends and family love the cracker barrel. It has a laid back, southern home feel that is apparent as you walk up to the white rocking chairs on the porch waiting area. It's usually busy all morning and has a constant flow of customers all day long.

I've eaten both meals and breakfast here and find it disappointing. The only thing I've really enjoyed is the grilled cheese. For breakfast I've tried the eggs (ok), sausage (no thanks), hash browns (too many onions), and bacon (too much fat). I've eaten better at Denny's or Ihop's.

Something unique, though, is that they have this country tee logic game at the tables while you wait. They usually have a big checkers game in the eating area, as well, for kids (and adults) to play while waiting for the food.

But I can't pass it down due to the store that is right inside the door. Of course you have to pass through it before getting to the food. They have great seasonal items, kids stuff, candles and clothing. I love it all...

Sunday through Thursday - 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    Friday & Saturday - 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
    Has RV/Bus Parking

Favorite Dish: My favorite would be the grilled cheese...

Candy in the store Logic Tee Game

Pappasito's Cantina: Lively Tex Mex

by msbrandysue Written Mar 29, 2009

After a long hiatas from this restaurant I'm back to being a lover. A lover of the strong margaritas. A lover of the flautas. A lover of the made-in-the-restaurant (in front of the customers) tortillas. A lover of the queso. A lover of the laid back atmosphere...A bit weary of the wait, still. However, I'm gonna keep my original review because it gives an accurate depiction of what your tastes might be.

If you don't like to eat in a loud, busy atmosphere this might make a good happy hour place on a weekday.

Previous review: I'm a bit weary of this place. I personally feel that the prices do not reflect the taste. However, I'm pretty picky. It's just my opinion that Houston's mexican restaurants are no match for Dallas'. However, a lot of people in Houston prefer Pappacito's. I haven't found anything I like here. The margarita's aren't that good. The atmosphere is not that good. Why am I paying extra to sit in a lawn seat?? No waitor has ever given flour tortillas although they make them right in front of you. It just has always been a let down. Anytime I actually want to try something I get disappointed even more. If you want to try it, no one's gonna stop you. But if I were you I'd find something else.

MANY locations throughout Houston so shop around for the one closest to you.

Sun -Thurs: 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
    Fri - Sat: 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I usually just stay with the queso and flautas. The food is just sort of unique and I'm a picky eater...especially because of the prices.

Killer Margaritas!

Old Town Spring Restaurants: Party Time Food

by msbrandysue Written Mar 27, 2009

Love that kind of fun food you get a fair? You know the kind that you can only eat once a year or else your heart will explode?!? Well, it's available all year 'round in Old Town Spring. Known for the shopping, this area has many small eateries where you can plop onto a picnic table and chow down on turkey legs, sausage on a stick, fried EVERYTHING-snickers, twinkie, funnel cake, etc.

When I was there last I made a small stop at a window selling drinks connected to the Little Dutch Girl. They advertised original Cherry Cokes. They put a few spoonfuls of cherries and the juice and add coke. Just be careful because you can't take food or drink into the shops! Great outdoor seating around the Gentry area, though. Great place to people watch...

Another fun tidbit?? They sell beer :)

Favorite Dish: I had a fried Snickers once at the fair. Holy cow...it was amazing; although I could feel the artery clogging! :)

Sweet Tomatoes: Best Salad Buffet

by msbrandysue Written Jan 5, 2009

Sweet tomatoes is a salad bar extraordinare. When you walk in you immediately get in line for your salad. There's all the types of lettuce, dressings, and veggies you could ask for, including the pasta salads. Chicken is available but it costs like $1.50 extra. After you fill your plate you pay the cashier for your meal and find a seat.

Then make sure you visit the bakery, soups, potatoes, and pasta bar. They have wonderful breads, pizza, breadsticks, soups, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pastas such as macaroni and desserts.

It's awesome!!

Favorite Dish: I always get a caesar salad. The sourdough is good...So are the special breadsticks they make. Everything is incredible here!!!

Gringo's Mexican Kitchen: Good Mexican Food

by msbrandysue Updated Dec 30, 2008

Right down the street a Gringo's Mexican Kitchen opened up. This was not the original restaurant in the state but definitely in the Spring area.

The food is good. I don't really like the chips but to some people that's nothing. I stay close to the enchiladas because I have tasted some things that were not my favorite.

The ambience is kind of loud. Families are welcome here. They have a bar and tvs in the dining areas which usually have sports or news on. They're too small to read, though, so close caption is kind of useless.

It's in a strip center by a gym and other smaller restaurants.

What makes it special is probably the free ice cream machine in the main lobby/waiting area. I don't always get it but the kids LOVE it!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish would be the chicken enchiladas with sour cream on top.

Red Robin's: Good Burgers

by msbrandysue Written Dec 19, 2008

Red Robin's is more famous for their stacked burgers than anything else... However, my mom and I go there for their salads and wraps. I have tried all of their wraps and hard time deciding which one to order each time I go...which is fairly often (sometimes up to once a week).

It can be loud in there...Most of the waiters are high school or college kids having a good time. It's very family oriented and has discounts for kids on certain nights with the mascot showing up once a week. In fact their website says Parents Magazine named them one of the top 10 family restaurants.

They usually have games on to watch which I've always liked. They also have a small bar and arcade.

Alcoholic drinks are served!!!

Sun-Thu: 11a-10p, Fri-Sat: 11a-11p

Favorite Dish: The BBQ chicken wrap

Romano's Macaroni Grill: My Favorite Italian Place

by msbrandysue Written Oct 5, 2008

The food here is incredible. They have the traditional italian food such as lasagna, pasta, etc. It's all amazing. You get bread and oil when you sit down. They have a more expensive meal called Mama's Trio which I get when I'm STARVING and not watching my calorie intake. It includes lasagna, chicken parmasgan and chicken cannallonni. (Sorry about the spelling!) They also have a really neat menu item called "Create Your Own Pasta" which I usually always get. You pick your sauce, noodles, meat, and veggies. Their caesar salad is also wonderful. The drinks are fantastic. I usually get the bellini which is awesome!

The ambience is family-oriented. The lights are dimmed a bit. The tables are covered with a white linen, then on top of that, there is white paper in which the kids can color on or adults too :p I have played many a tic tac toe on the tables!

Favorite Dish: y favorite is the Create Your Own pasta which you have to get the paper from the waitor. Or, if I'm really hungry I get the Mama's Trio.

Cafe Express: Cafe Annie's Cousin

by msbrandysue Written Jan 2, 2008

The chef and owners of Cafe Annie created a chain of restaurants that are easier to attend in a more casual setting. Cafe Express is a sit down place with salads, sandwiches and other casual food.

You walk up and order your food at a counter, pay and then wait with one of those red light-up things. While you wait you can get your drink, and crunch on a few breadsticks. They have a full service condiment bar where you can get catchup, any of the homemade dressing, grated cheese, etc.

I always prefer to sit outside as long as the weather is bearable. This particular Cafe Express is right next to Barnes and Noble so I love it!

Favorite Dish: I love the chicken caesar salad. They also had a good club sandwich but it was hard to fit in my mouth!

I love their sign! Outdoor seating/patio More patio space Now you see it..... Now you dont!!

Instant Answers: Spring

Comments

Spring Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Spring restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Spring sightseeing.