Taylor Travel Guide

center of town
    by Rich62
    taken from the railroad overpass
    Downtown Taylor

Taylor Things to Do

• speer's Profile Photo

by speer Updated Dec 14, 2006

Several neighborhoods in Taylor light up their homes with Christmas displays. Two of these are Hunter's Run and Lake Drive. Also, the Taylor Town Square hosts a beautiful display of lights!

The best viewing is between Thanksgiving and Christmas between 7 and 10 nightly. Weekends are best!

Until then, take a virtual tour here: Tour of Lights! (Then return to rate this tip.)

Lake Drive Murphy Park Christmas Tree Taylor Town Square Display Lake Drive Mansion Lake Drive Neighborhood Traditional Lighting Hunter's Run Nativity Scene
    • Photography

• by Song_of_Sunshine Written Mar 14, 2006

It's a great little town to walk around and check out all the little shops. If you are in the market to open a retail store, this might be the place for you. Lots of real estate available for sale or lease. I'm betting this place is going to be a boom town as Austin population continues to move away from the hectic traffic to the bedroom community. Best prices I've found in the central Texas area. Seriously.

• Taylor Hotels

3 Hotels in Taylor

Taylor Hotels

Taylor Restaurants

• Rich62's Profile Photo

by Rich62 Updated May 29, 2010

In a 2010 issue of USA Today, they call this BBQ place one of the four best such places in Texas.

I have no picture of it..yet. I've never seen it, never been in it. Don't know where it is.

But if you are going to or through this town, you might check it out.

• Business Travel

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Updated Aug 29, 2009

The fact that there are four VT members living in Taylor and that there are tips both surprised me but then I was totally dumbfounded by the fact that none of the tips mentions Louie Mueller Barbecue. This 60-year-old establishment has been highly praised by sources from the Texas Monthly magazine to the James Beard Foundation. It has even been featured on the Food Channel. Texas Monthly calls it one of the five best in Texas and the James Beard Award came in 2006. If you were not forewarned to stop there, I can understand that you might pass it by but if you are traveling east of Austin on TX Hwy 79, you probably know something about the area or you are deliberately looking for Louie Mueller. The primary reason that you might pass it by is that the building which houses it is not particularly impressive. It looked like a movie theater to me but I was told that it was formerly a gymnasium. On the other hand, if the weather is mild enough for you to be driving with your windows, or top, down, you will almost have to stop. The aroma is pervasive and alluring. Louie opened his barbecue shop in another location in 1949 and moved to the current location in 1959. His son Bobby succeeded Louie as manager/owner in 1974, so there is a lot of family tradition, history, and secrets in this delightful place. The menu is taped to the wall. Don't be put off by that or that you may have to wait in line when you go there. The line moves pretty quickly and if you are waiting in line you just may get handed a bitesize free sample to whet your appetite.
    FYI: In Taylor, TX, Mueller is pronounced Miller.
    I just recently heard that Bobby passed away last fall at the age of 69 but I did not hear of any changes in the operation. I guess that I need to go back to Texas and eat some more barbecue.

Favorite Dish: Their sausage is homemade and they offer all types of traditional barbecue; i.e., pork and beef ribs, brisket, pulled pork, smoked turkey, plus steaks and chicken. I think that the sliced brisket is my favorite. The sides are very good but they could be a bit more imaginative. The only sides that I have seen were pinto beans, cole slaw, and potato salad. You order a la carte and specify the quantity, such as number of slices, weight, or volume.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Taylor? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Taylor Transportation

• Suet's Profile Photo

by Suet Updated Sep 21, 2009

My car broke down in Taylor, Texas, so I hired a car from the nearest Car Rental. It's called Enterprise, and is a well known company with many branches in the States. It was much cheaper than I thought, $671.05 for 15 days' hire, unlimited mileage, collision damage waiver etc. Richard even credited me for the extra petrol I put in the car. Wasn't a bad car, a Dodge 2009 Cali stick shift.

You probably know this, but if you drive your car without air conditioning, you get many more miles per tank. Just for interest, I had the aircon going at coolest (it was 98oF) and travelled within the speed limits. I was horrified to get only 300 miles per tank. Aircon off and coasting gently I got 400 per tank. Very useful in Texas as the state is HUGE.

The prices per gallon of fuel were between $2.659 - $2.689. Cheapest was $2.459.

Instant Answers: Taylor

Comments

Taylor Travel Guide
Map of Taylor