This old classic revival styled building was built as a United States Federal Courthouse. It was built in 1911 (although this date varies). Twenty years later when the US District Court moved from Texarkana to Sherman TX, the building was donated to Bowie County. The building was then donated to The Regional Arts centre in 1985.
The upper level lounge has new furnishings and the large chandelier is a reproduction. The two either side of it however are from the Baker Hotel.
On one wall of the lounge is a portrait of Ross Perot’s mother, Lulu May Ray Perot. The Perot household was a strictly disciplined one but Ross idolised his parents. It has been said that his mothers stare could silence children.
All the seating on the ground floor has been replaced although on the mezannine level, the original seats remain with new covers. The metal standards at the end of each aisle still have the ‘S’ displayed on them from the Saenger days.
The stage settings for backdrops are all original and manually operated by ropes and weights. There are no electronics to raise and lower the various sets. Most of the light fixtures on the ceiling and sconces on the side walls are original. The ceiling which is really quite beautiful and has been restored. During the heat of a scorching Texas summer with no air-conditioning, painters laid on their backs, 56ft up on scaffolding, to repair and restore the artwork to his original looking condition.
The style is Italianate-Victorian and features a floor plan which was inspired by Captain Draughon's lucky card. The unusual style of the house features 3 octagonal and one long rectangular rooms which are arranged around a central octagon. A bathroom wing and kitchen wing was added In the late 1890's by the next family to live there.
This house is very unique in that is it a 22 sided house. It was built in 1885 with the winnings of a poker game. local lumberman and Confederate Veteran Captain James H Draughon was the lucky guy and his winning card was the Ace of Clubs.. hence the name. The house is now a Museum with each room representing a certain period in the history of the house and the life styles of the families who once lived there.
Open Tuesday - Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. There is a small admission charge with children under 5 free. Guided tours are available.
This is something that everyone does when they come to Texarkana. This spot is just outside the Post Office and is known as a photo island.
The sign splits the post office as well as State Line Avenue. You can stand here with feet either side and say you were standing in two states at one time.
The State Line Post Office is the only post office in the USA which has two post codes and is the most photographed Courthouse in the US second only to the Supreme Court in Washington DC.
The unique thing about this Post Office is that the State Line between Texas and Arkansas goes straight down the middle of it. It was built in 1932-32 of pink granite from Texas and limestone from Arkansas. Originally there were separate Post Offices for both States in Texarkana.
St. Edwards Parish was founded in 1903. The church is Roman Catholic and is listed as a church with architectural significance.
ArtSpark is a colourful corner on a green park area next to the Regional Arts Centre. The area has revolving events and art displays.
This memorial along with the Vietnam one that sits alongside was erected in 1988 to recognise the soldiers from the 4 states immediately surrounding Texarkana who lost their lives in the Korean war.
This memorial was erected to commemorate the men and women who served the USA in honour of Freedom. It was dedicated in April 2003 and sits to the left of the Post Office
4601 Cowhorn Creek, Texarkana, TX, 75503
Good for: Families
4545 Cowhorn Creek Rd, Texarkana, Texas, 75503, United States
Good for: Couples
4209 Mall Drive, Texarkana, Texas, 75503, United States
Good for: Solo