A very knowledgable guide met us at the door of this palatial home and explained the history of those who once lived here.
This Texas Colonial was constructed before the Civil War, but began as a modest four room house by a bachelor named Samuel Gallatin Smith. He was a Confederate captain in the Civil War.
At a later date, it was purchased by Dr. Samuel A. Goodman, who sold it to his son--Dr. William J. Goodman, a Confederate army surgeon and his new bride, Priscilla Gaston. They had three children.
Picture #2 shows the dining room as it might have been appeared
Picture #3 a gilded decoration on the ceiling
Picture #4 the Master Bedroom and vintage clothing
Picture #5 an additional bedroom furnished in the period
The home was enlarged to its recent appearance in 1926 in the Greek Revival style. Sallie, one of the Goodman children, donated the mansion to the City of Tyler upon her death in 1939. It was the first property in Tyler to be listed on the National Regisiter of Historic Places.
The original furniture, photographs and mementos still remain in the home and can be viewed on the tour. Admission is free but a $2.00 per person donation is suggested.
Hours are Tues.-Sat. 10am-4pm
It was nice to see this Victorian Home still in pristine condition on the main highway through Tyler. The house is named after a Civil War Surgeon, who was actually the third owner of the house.
The City of Tyler still maintains this house as a historical location, and is filled with Civil War era furnishings.
18th century medical equipment, artifacts and period furniture may be seen at the museum, housed in an 1859 home.