Singleton Plaza, Waxahachie
Next to the old Ellis County Jail is a nicely landscaped area set below street level along a waterway. This is Singleton Plaza,dedicated in 1974 to the memory of prominent business man, Colonel M. Singleton.
In 1930, The Colonel became chairman of the board at Citizens National Bank, founded in 1868. His family obtained majority ownership of the institution and were involved in its leadership from that point on.
The Colonel's children set up the Singleton Scholarship Trust in 1952 to honor their father. An additional scholarship established in memory of a great-granddaughter of the Colonel was set up in 1996. These scholarships enable students who can't afford college to receive a higher education. So far, 373 students have been awarded over $900,000 for their education.
M..E. Singleton's legacy continues to benefit Waxahachie and the surrounding area.