Waxahahie Cotton Mills, Waxahachie
The Waxahachie Cotton Mills was a dream of two men (one the Mayor) who worked long and tirelessly to convince the people of Waxahachie that such a factory was needed. Ellis County at the time was one of the larges inland cotton producing areas in the world and all the cotton grown there had to be shipped in mills in other parts of the country for processing into cloth. Eventually the townsfolk were convinced and funds were raised. In March, 1900, the company was organized with $100,000 in capital. Stock was sold only to people in Waxahachie.
The 28 acre mill site was chosen and the mill built in 1900. 5,000 spindles and 150 looms, equipment with the most approved machinery and modern labour saving devices were installed. Surrounding the main building the mill village was developed which consisted of 44 tenant houses, rented to employees and a large two story rooming and boarding house for the bachelors. There was also a church, a school and a commissary. With the Great Depression of the 1930s, cotton demand plummeted which ended Waxahachie's most prosperous era. Most of the gins, compresses and cottonseed-oil mills were abandoned. The textile mill cut production until the company was forced to close by 1934. The Tyler Refrigeration Co. later purchased and remodelled the old Mill.