West Columbia Travel Guide

West Columbia Things to Do

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Varner-Hogg Plantation House 4 more images

by Basaic Written Apr 1, 2014

I always enjoy visiting historical sites and especially ones like the Varner-Hogg Plantation. They combine history with interesting architecture. Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site preserves the home and story of this early example of a Texas plantation. The plantation was established by Martin Varner, one of the first colonizers of Texas, in 1824. Here he grew cotton, pecans, and distilled rum here. Oil was found here too. The plantation later passed to the Patton Family, several of whom were actively involved in the Texas Revolution, and they built the home on the site of Varner’s cabin. Governor James S. Hogg bought the home in 1902, and it remained in the Hogg Family until 1958 when his daughter Ima Hogg donated it to the state. Today the home is filled with family heirlooms and historical articles tracing the importance of cotton to the economy of Texas, the part slavery played in the trade, and the importance of the Hogg Family to Texas history. There are displays in some of the other buildings on the plantation too. Hours are 8 AM to 5 PM Tuesday through Sunday. Admission is $4 per person with kids under 6 free.

• National/State Park
    • Museum Visits

Stephen F Austin

by shargurl Updated Aug 2, 2007

In April of 2004, right along Highway 288 they erected a statue of Stephen F Austin. He is known as the Father of Texas. I drive by this statue everyday on my way to work. It's pretty cool to see this landmark everyday.

by shargurl Updated Jul 24, 2007

When I first came to Texas from the west coast, I wanted to see the beaches. Being a California girl, the beach was a big part of my life. We drove to Surfside Beach with much anticipation, and lo and behold, we came up to what looked like brown water! A far cry from the Pacific Ocean, the Gulf Coast is totally different. Nonetheless, this is now my beach. If you want to see and hear the waves (not big ones mind you), this is the place to go. I still enjoy the water and sun, it's just a little (or a lot) bit of a change.

West Columbia Hotels

West Columbia Restaurants

by shargurl Updated May 14, 2007

There are not very many places to eat in West Columbia, but we now have a Baytown Seafood restaurant in town, They serve a variety of grilled and fried seafood, as well as steaks and po'boy sandwiches. Our local Chinese food restaurant closed down, so they are offering some Chinese dishes, I guess it's because the restaurant is owned by Orientals. Works for me, being oriental myself, I always take an order of shrimp fried rice home, YUM.

Instant Answers: West Columbia

Comments

West Columbia Travel Guide
Map of West Columbia