This sailing club was contracted in 1939 to encourage the sport of sailing and sailboat racing in the Dallas area. The club holds races on Sunday afternoons and there are club sponsored regattas held all year round. The club is quite well known for its outstanding sailors.
This is a 6ft bronze statue in Sunset Bay which was erected April 17, 2004 to honour the Civilian Conservation Corps who helped turn the vacant land surrounding White Rock Lake into an attractive recreational area between the years 1935 – 1942. The workers were from surrounding areas of Dallas, Collin and Denton counties who came to the area looking for work during the depression. They transplanted more than 1,500 trees and planted 75 acres of Pecan seedlings.
The Dallas Arboretum is laid out on 66 acres overlooking White Rock Lake in sight of downtown' Dallas. The Arboretum features 66 superbly landscaped acres of towering trees and fragrant gardens circling lush lawns. There's something to see year 'round, from the gorgeous blooms of springtime to the vivid colors of fall.
There are several fishing piers around the lake as well as a boat ramp. There are 19 kinds of fish which swim in the waters of White Rock Lake. Bass, crappie, and catfish are among the types of fish found here. You need a valid fishing license however to fish here.
This is a high rise of land which was originally called Sunset Hill. You can get panoramic views of the entire lake as well as downtown Dallas which is 6 miles away. The building at the top of the point was built in 1941 and be rented for wedding receptions or parties etc.
The Bath House was built in 1930 on the eastern shore of White Rock Lake. This was one of the first uses of Art Deco architecture in the southwest. There were changing rooms, swim suits for rent and lockers for those who drove from all over North Texas to swim in the lake. It continued to be a social and recreation venue for two decades but in 1953, the bath house was forced to close when swimming in White Rock Lake was discontinued due to drought, polio and racial tensions. The building sat vacant until 1978 which art activists urged the City of Dallas to restore the building. The Bath House today now houses a 120 seat theatre, two gallery spaces, a darkroom and multiple mixed-use spaces.
The Old Pump Station was built in 1910 then renovated in the late 1980’s. It first began dispensing chlorinated water to the residents of Dallas in 1913 but then the lake ceased to be used as a water supply in 1930. The only exception to this was in the 1950’s when there were a few years of drought. The building is now used by the Water Operations Control Centre of Dallas Water Utilities.
Mount Vernon sits on 10 acres of land on the west shore overlooking White Rock Lake. It is almost an exact replica of George Washington's famous Virginia home. It used to be the home of the late H. L. Hunt who was a self-made oil millionaire and one of Dallas' most colourful citizens. The home was occupied by the Hunt family from 1938 through to 1999. Major restorations were completed by the new owners in 2002 and then invited the Hunt family to a celebration party. This home is a private residence and not open to the public.
White Rock Lake Park is home to some 33 types of mammals which includes squirrels, rabbits, skunks, raccoons, possums, bobcats, red foxes, and minks. There are also some 54 varieties of reptiles and 20 kinds of amphibians. No less than 217 species of birds, including pelicans, loons, ducks, swans and sea gulls are found around park.
One of the parks of White Rock Lake Park is Flagpole Hill. This park takes up 94 acres and is just opposite the north entrance to White Rock Lake Park. Its actually just a hill and a monument and since the landscape in Dallas is not very high, you don’t actually get any spectacular views. The Dallas Symphony holds its annual Memorial Day Symphony at this location
There is something for everyone in this park and in whatever mode takes your fancy. In this particular area of the part you can find cottonwood and tall pecan trees which are ripe for picking in the autumn. This area is on the west side of Dixon Branch Creek.
Construction of the White Rock Lake Dam began in 1909 and took 2 years to complete. For many years a catwalk at the top of the dam a sidewalk which ran along Garland Road but it has been removed. The spillway, where park visitors once played in the water, is now off-limits. The water level was down when I was there and not that impressive a sight.
This is one of the highest points of land around the park and was named for the Texas and Pacific Railway. The old Art-Deco boat house is located at the foot of Tee Pee Hill. It was built in 1930 and was used by a fleet of speedboats to ferry parkgoers to the opposite shore. When large motored boats were banned from the lake in the 150’s this boathouse was the place to then rent paddle boats for cruising on the lake. Today it provides anglers with shelter while fishing.
Originally called Dixon’s Bay. This spot is supposed to be one of the best spots to view a Texas sunset. The wooden fishing pier is quite a favourite for fishing off. Although turtles in the bay quite often steal the bait.
With White Rock Lake in the background. Bench seats line this small area for sitting and reflecting - very tranquil.