Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area Things to Do

lets take a dirt road

Most Recent Things to Do in Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area

Return to Wyoming

Wyoming Welcomes you

After Sheep Creek Canyon, I continued along the highway 44 towards Manila.

And in Manila I turned right on Highway 530 Northwards in the direction of Green River.

And again the sights and views were rather boring, same like the first part of Highway 191 southwards, in the beginning of my journey.

And then suddenly you see the signboard "Wyoming welcomes you", so you have left Utah and are re-entering Wyoming.

And from Green River it was only a short drive along the Interstate 80 back towards Rock Springs.

It was an enjoyable afternoon.

Sheep Creek Canyon

Sheep Creek Canyon

After driving south wards on the highway 191, the after the Flaming gorge Dam, I continued my journey on the highway 44 in the direction of Manila (no no not on the Fillipines)

And then there were some sharp curbs in the road, and then you reach an area with a great scenery, may be even the best of that day.

The view was named Sheep Creek Canyon, and you are on a high point, like this you have a great view.

Across the white bridge

great scenery

When you have crossed the Flaming gorge Dam, there is a white bridge.

What is so special on this white bridge, nothing, in fact.

But just after this white bridge there is a parking lot, and it is really interesting to stop there as from this point you can make some great pictures of a narrow part of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

And also it is a good spot if you want to go swimming (see the lower part of my second picture).

Flaming Gorge Dam

Flaming Gorge Dam

Then further southwards, past Dutch John, You pass the Flaming Gorge Dam

Before you cross the Dam, there is a parking lot on the left hand side with a viewpoint.
    From this viewpoint you have a splendid view, and it reveals its mass and height.

The dam stands 145 feet (140 metres) above the river, and it extends below the river bottom for another 47 feet (14 meters), where it is anchored in bedrock.

One million cubic yards (765.000 cubic metres) of concrete were used to build the dam and power plant.

Flaming Gorge Reservoir

The second viewpoint gave an even greater look over the reservoir and the surrounding nature.

Some numbers :

- Length : 91 miles (145 kilometres)

- Shoreline : 375 miles (600 kilometres)

- Surface area : 66 square miles (171 square kilometres)

- Capacity : 3.8 million acre-feet (4.7 billion cubic meters)

- Elevation above sea level : 6.040 feet (1840 meters)

- Maximum depth : 436 feet (133 metres)

- Average water surface temperature in summer : 68 degrees F (20 degrees C)

First Viewpoint

by filipdebont Written Aug 17, 2007

Flaming Gorge signboard at the first viewpoint

After my dirt road adventure, I continued along Highway 191.

I passed a side road with a signboard towards Firehole Canyon, but as I had already lost a lot of time taking the dirt road, I continued along Highway 191.

And then I finally reached the real Flaming Gorge Recreation Area.

There was a viewpoint with a signboard. The scenery was just great.

Nice views

by filipdebont Updated Aug 17, 2007

nice views

After a few miles, the scenery became more beautiful. But still I had not reached the Firehole canyon, so I decide to drive further, I first passed an Archery site, and further there was a shooting club for riffles, so I kept driving along this dirt road, but still nothing that looked like a canyon.

The scenery was nice, but then also the road became worse, there were deep tracks in the mud, so then I decided to return, as this was obviously not the road to the Firehole canyon.

So then I had to return all the way to the main road (more then 10 miles).

Lets take a dirt road

by filipdebont Updated Aug 17, 2007

lets take a dirt road

After some driving along the Highway 191, I saw some cars coming out of a side road.

And I had seen that there was a side road towards a place named Firehole Canyon on my map.

I thought, hi, this must be it, there was no signboard, but I decided to take a look.

And it was a dirt road, I was not driving a 4-wheel drive, but the road looked pretty dry, so . . .

Dirt, Dirt, Dirt

by filipdebont Written Aug 16, 2007

Who's going to clean my car?

To be honest I was really surprised that it took me so long to return to the main road (Highway 191), of course the speed on this dirt road is not high.

And as this dirt road was pretty dry, so very dusty, I had noticed the dust cloud behind my car while driving.

So just before I reached the highway 191 I decided to stop, to measure the dust grade . . .

Oh my God, I was just my second day, and my car wasn't red anymore but he had a real dust colour.

Later that evening I was very lucky with the rain.

by filipdebont Written Aug 16, 2007

Highway 191

So I stayed at the KOA campground in Rock Springs, as I wanted to visit the Flaming Gorge Recreation Area. So it was not so difficult to find the right direction.

This KOA campground is located very near exit 99 of interstate 80, so I only had to cross the bridge over the I-80 to reach Highway 191. And it was all the way to the South.

I must admit that the first part of this road was pretty boring, a long straight road with nothing spectacular on both sides.

It only could become better . . .

Instant Answers: Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area

Comments

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area Travel Guide

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area sightseeing.

View all Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area hotels