Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Favorites

by smoox

Best Rated Favorites in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area

John Wesley Powell

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Named for Civil War veteran John Wesley Powell, Lake Powell is 186 miles long & has a 1,960 miles of shoreline which incidentally is longer than the length of the whole western coast of United States!

The flight

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Fondest memory: Flying over the Glen Canyon has to be one of the most amazing flights I've ever been on. It's incredibly scenic & I was totally enchanted by the change of landscapes constantly. I think I was in complete awe over the whole trip! Just spectacular!

• smoox's Profile Photo

realize that this wonder is...

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: realize that this wonder is artificial. Glen Canyon Dam dams up the Colorado River and has thus drowned a formerly beautiful canyon landscape - so I am told. But I´d say that the result is not bad, either.

Fondest memory: Going on a day cruise on the Nonne Zoshi, a tourist boat leaving from Wahweap.

smoox's General Tip

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: Well - not really a FOND memory. We stayed in Bullfrog in 1992 at the time when hurricane Andrew hit Florida. Exactly at that time, there was a pretty bad storm over Lake Powell - the sky got all black and most of the boat trips were cancelled.
    As a consolation, we were told that rain in this area is so rare that we should consider it to be an honour... :-p

You don´t even want to ask what this otherwise so beautiful region looked like the next days. Grey, grey, grey......

smoox's General Tip

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: ......before we reached Rainbow Bridge, one of the sacred sites of the Navajo. You can also approach it on horseback.
    Rainbow Bridge is not always open - sometimes the Navajos will hold a religious ceremony.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

See Rainbow Bridge. This is...

by worldtrekker Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: See Rainbow Bridge. This is the world's largest natural bridge and span's 275 feet and is 290 feet high. This is a sacred place for the Navajo. The easiest way to reach it, is by boat. It's about 50 miles by water from Wahweap, Bullfrog, or Hall's Crossing. It can also be reached by foot or horse trails across rough canyon country on the Navajo Reservation. The trails are not maintained and aren't recommended for beginning or casual hikers. Hiking permits must be acquired.
    Photo: Rainbow Bridge. Taken by Susanne Voelkle, Sept. '99.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Swim and cliff jump at The...

by worldtrekker Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Swim and cliff jump at The Coves. These are located just past Wahwep Marina (where you rent all the water toys). Photo: Same fun group - I don't think that the 2 guys on the end were quite ready for the jump yet... July, '99

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Cliff-jump at The Coves. ...

by worldtrekker Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Cliff-jump at The Coves. Photo: Alicia takes her turn, June, '95. The water levels vary at different times of year which sometimes makes for some big jumps. WARNING: You can seriously injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing. Check out the area beforehand for submerged rock or debris and preferably only do this if there are others around.

• aussie79's Profile Photo

aussie79's General Tip

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: The water that pumps into the showers in the houseboat is lake water. We decided since the water pressure wasn't that great we would just wash our hair in the lake. My sisters and their friends were in the lake one morning washing their hair and decided it would be funny to do the Herbal Essence 'ooohs and ahhhhs'. All of us still on the boat thought this was hillarious so we videotaped them. When the girls realized we were taping them, they shrieked and dove into the water

• aussie79's Profile Photo

Waterski!

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: I finally learned how to slalom. For those of you who aren't skiiers, that means I was crazy enough to get up on one ski. It took me forever it felt like. I fell more than I was actually up and I actually got into a fight with my dad while I was in the water. I had just fallen and they brought the boat around to bring me the rope again. My dad asks 'Do you want another ski?' and I snarled back at him 'If I wanted another ski I would have brought it in the water with me!' Finally I switched drivers and my friend pulled me up and I did it! I got up on only 1 ski. The next day I hurt so much and my arms felt useless.

• fisheagle's Profile Photo

Go on a house boat. The best...

by fisheagle Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Go on a house boat. The best way to experience all that the lake has to offer is on a house boat for a couple of days. You will be stunned at its beauty.

Fondest memory: Sunsets on the lake are to be spoken of. All you need is a rock face at sunset and youn will have a moving painting.

Marvel!

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Marvel at the 186 miles of Colorado River that extends from the Grand Canyon all the way to Glen Canyon and Lake Powell, Page.
    Area: 1,245,855 acres!

Rainbow of Stone

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: See the bridge? It's a 290-foot high pink sandstone bridge. To the Navajo people it is a sacred 'rainbow of stone'.

Lake Powell formation

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Lake Powell is the result of a single dam & is the 2nd largest man-made lake in the U.S. after Lake Mead. Surface area = 161,390 acres.

Enroute to Monument Valley

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Fondest memory: The lake and the canyons around offer one of my most memorable experience on this trip enroute to Monument Valley, Utah.

Instant Answers: Glen Canyon National Recreation Area

Comments

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Favorites

Reviews and photos of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Glen Canyon National Recreation Area sightseeing.

View all Glen Canyon National Recreation Area hotels